PDA

View Full Version : City Select too small for 3.5 yo? Alternatives?

sweetsoul99
08-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi,
I thought my 3.5 yo would be old enough to walk when we go shopping, but she's been complaining a lot so I wanted to look into double stroller options that would allow my 5mo to be rear facing and give m 3.5 a ride. The city select was my first thought, but I thought I remember reading that the seats are pretty small. Do you think my 3.5 yo would be too big? She is pretty big too, 40 lbs.

PZMommy
08-01-2012, 11:23 PM
My 3 yr old is pretty big, and he has lots of room left. The seats only go up to 45 pounds though. My main reason for the stroller was so my baby could face me, and my 3 yr old could face out. I love the stroller as a double!

Dawn

sweetsoul99
08-01-2012, 11:58 PM
That is exactly what is drawing me to the stroller! How is the push with your 3 yo positioned over the wheels?

PZMommy
08-02-2012, 12:33 AM
I think it pushes fine. I mainly use it for malls, stores, and places like that. I haven't used it as a double on outside terrain. Sometimes I have my 3 yr old in the top seat facing out, and the baby in the bottom seat facing in, and it steers easier that way, but even with my 3 yr old in front which is 99% of the time it pushes well. If you will mainly be using it inside, you could even take the canopy off your daughters seat, to give her more height.

Dawn

rileysmom
08-02-2012, 02:00 PM
My very tall 3 year old still fits in our b-ready on the top or the bottom. She's about to outgrow the bottom seat by weight, but height wise she still fits great.

BabyBearsMom
08-02-2012, 02:06 PM
My DD1 is 99th percentile for height and she maxed out the seat in the BJCS when we tried it out. We ended up with the B-Ready because the seats are a lot roomier. We like it a lot.

sweetsoul99
08-02-2012, 02:49 PM
That's my only problem with the B-ready. My 3.5 yo is 39 lbs! So I would have to move baby to the bottom so DD2 could sit on top. Which I guess wouldn't be that big of a deal, unless DS1 is asleep..... But my whole point of getting this one over the P&T vibe is so DS1 can be rear facing, which the bottom seat isn't. Even if it was, he'd be looking at my legs and not my face.

rileysmom
08-02-2012, 03:13 PM
how often does your 3.5yr old ride? I would still put my 3 yr old in the stroller if she was a couple pounds beyond the weight limits of the lower seat personally. I was surprised, but DD1 really likes the lower seat. DD2 doesnt mind it either, but i think she prefers the top seat.

sweetsoul99
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
thanks pp, that's a good point. She doesn't ride very often right now, because I didn't go out much with all 3 kids. Now that DS1 is 5 months, we're getting out more. And everytime we do she gets tired so quickly. Inevitably I end up giving her a piggy back ride AND pushing the snap n go, not an ideal situation. Luckily I've been working out a ton so I can manage.

I love the idea of the select, but it's just so big to be a used as a single 80% of the time. She really only needs it when we're getting through the parking lot and at the end of our outtings.

I have a BJCMD which I love, but I hate the Car seat Adaptor, but keep using it because I like being able to see DS1, he gets so little face time with me when we're at home because I'm so busy and he's so content to watch his sisters play. Plus I can't keep the BJCMD in my trunk because with the adaptor attached it takes up the entire trunk, and then inevitably I forget to put it in or our trips last a lot longer than I think they are.

PZMommy
08-03-2012, 01:08 AM
We tried the BReady, and my 3 yr old refused to sit in the bottom seat. My baby has severe asthma, so I didn't want him low to the ground, plus I wouldn't be able to watch and monitor him in the bottom seat, so the BReady wasn't going to work for us. I use the City Select as a single quite a bit, and I don't think it is that big. Ideally I'd love to use a City Mini as a single stroller, but until my baby is a bit older and able to sit up better (he has low tone due to always being sick), we will stik with the City Select.

Dawn

shmeetz
08-07-2012, 09:04 PM
We have the BJCS and started with it with a 2.5 year old and infant. The seats are 45lbs capacity each but that's what my very tall 4 year old weighs now. She doesn't ride in it often but she totally fits.

The thing is that the canopy has 2 positions and you can make it taller for a taller kid.

ssand23
08-08-2012, 08:41 AM
I just recently bought the Baby Jogger City Elite single and that goes up to 75 lbs. I have a big 2 year old (he's 40 lbs & 40 inches) and he has plenty of room to grow or wiggle. I have no problem with pushing it & we haven't had issues with it being too big in stores. :)