PDA

View Full Version : BJs vs Sams

elbert
08-01-2012, 05:47 PM
We just moved (and have all the boxes to prove it!). We've been Sams members, but now have both Sams and BJs within 10 minutes. Any thoughts on the difference between the two and why to opt for one over the other? We're not buying diapers and we're a family of three...so no massive grocery runs, either. Mostly household stuff...paper towels, TO, tissues, batteries, toiletries...

Does BJs ever do free trials?

brittone2
08-01-2012, 06:01 PM
We just moved (and have all the boxes to prove it!). We've been Sams members, but now have both Sams and BJs within 10 minutes. Any thoughts on the difference between the two and why to opt for one over the other? We're not buying diapers and we're a family of three...so no massive grocery runs, either. Mostly household stuff...paper towels, TO, tissues, batteries, toiletries...

Does BJs ever do free trials?
BJs does free trials. We get mailers periodically for I think a 60 day free trial.We have a Costco membership but I always think it would be fun to check out BJs on a free membership. We never seem to get around to using the free 60 day mailer.

NJ_Mom2011
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
I don't know much about Sam's Club, as I am a Costco member. I have been to BJs several times, as BJs is very generous about allowing you to walk their premises without a membership card, and even allows you to buy items without a members card (which is $50, yikes!), as long as you are willing to accept a 15% markup.

Here's my impressions. Sorry if this is a choppy narrative.

BJs feels to me like a very good discount supermarket. Compared to Costco or Sams Club, it is a much smaller store, and it is easy to get alot of items quickly compared to Costco as BJs stacks items in the store more like a supermarket, and less like a warehouse. BJ's management should also get major props on its kid clothing displays, as unlike Costco, BJs hangs up its clothing items, and not keep the children clothes on tables where it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to find your kid's right size. It has a deli counter similar to a supermarket. Items are not sold so much in bulk, but much more reasonable sizes. I didn't think produce was as nice as Costco, especially for their oranges. BJs sells clothing, including children brands such as Youngland, but I thought Costco's kid items (Carter, Hanna and Costco's store brand, Kirkland) were nicer. BJs accepts manufacturer coupons, unlike Costco. However, the prices do not seem as competitive as Costco. It also seems to have a nice and consistent selection of organic items, while Costco can be spotty, especially in the produce section.

My local BJs is struggling, as a Sams Club and Costco are less than 2 miles away. But the plus side to this unpopularity, is that on the Sunday I visited it felt pleasant to be inside, unlike Costco, where on weekends with its large crowds feels like a total zoo. Overall, if I am looking for groceries, and that's about it, I think that I would choose BJs over the other warehouse clubs as I like the selection and ease of use of the store.

dogmom
08-01-2012, 08:21 PM
The Sams and Costco are more than 1/2 from me, but BJ is 10 minutes, so they win. I've been to Sams a few times, not impressed. I hear great things about Costco, only been once. My Dad and his wife gave up their Sams membership because they feel it wasn't worth it, they just do Costco. (I realize you didn't list that as an options, thanks for hanging in this long.)

Now BJ, I find their prices competitive an their meat selection is good. What I like is a get a mailer of coupons every month and when I go I use it on 60% of the stuff I buy, and they are $1-3 off coupons, so I usually get $15 to 20 off my trip. Some stuff is not a great buy, or you can get it just as cheap or cheaper at Target on sale, but in general I am happy with them. I find their store brand (Wellesley Farm) does not suck and at times is even good. I agree to go and check them out to see if it is worth your wild. I can get a membership through work for $45 for 18 months, see if you can get a deal through work or AAA.

Jen841
08-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Long time Sam's memberhship, and it is free for us.

We also belong to Costco my FAVORITE but that is 30 minutes away but close to work.

BJ's is ok. We have our usuals now at Sam's so I just stick with that.

ang79
08-03-2012, 03:08 PM
We don't have a local Costo and I've never been in one, so I can't compare to Costco :( We do have a Sam's and BJ's and I have been members at both the past few years and actually have a membership to both right now (a friend split her Sam's membership w/ me, so I split my BJ's one w/ her). I re-joined BJ's because I did the free trial and they were offering 15 mos. for a lower rate. Our store usually runs this promo around June and Nov. each year, so if you can hold out til that, that's a good time to join. They have also sent me things in the past like $10 or $20 off my renewal rate if I pay w/ my Master Card.

I prefer BJ's because they send you coupons each month. You can also stack manufacturer coupons w/ their coupons. And I like their generic selection better (the Berkley & Jenkins pretzels, juices, etc., and the Welsley Farms cheese). We drink a lot of juice and Sam's only sells a few brand names and one generic apple juice, whereas BJ's has a generic for almost every flavor. I like the meat at BJs. The cost is a bit better or comparable to my grocery store, but I think the quality is better. Same with the fruit (at both Sam's and BJ's). In fact, I've been able to buy sweet cherries, blueberries, and strawberries for the same price or cheaper than our local pick-your-own places this summer, and its much cheaper than the grocery store for berries. I used to use the BJs brand of diapers and paper products and liked them, but we're out of dipes now and I've been cutting down our use of paper napkins, plates, paper towels, etc., though I still by TP there. Our BJ's is usually not very busy (I think due to location), and they have the self checkout lines, but Sam's is always packed, long lines to wait in, and no self checkout lines (that's one of my main complaints about shopping at our Walmarts as well, the long, slow lines and only a few checkouts open at a time). BJ's also seems to be adding more and more organic produce and products, or allergy free items, whereas my Sams does not have as big of a selection, just more basic supplies rather than specialty items.

Things I like about Sam's: they have nice sized rotisserie chickens for $6 vs. the $8 or $9 that my grocery store sells them for. They are on the end of town I go to most often, so its easier for me to go there and I've noticed that produce prices are the same as BJs usually. They've also been having special items featured each month this summer and you can save a few dollars if you purchase it when its on special. And I love the optical dept. I used to order my contacts from BJ's but one year they screwed up my order and forgot to order it and it was a big headache. I needed prescription sunglasses this summer and Sam's had a much better price and the lady in charge was super nice and patient and she has adjusted them several times for me. I also purchased a lens cleaner set for about $6 and she said they will refill the small spray bottle for free when I run out.

If you have both close by and they are in an area that you travel through often, I'd choose BJ's. But you should probably visit both and see what kinds of products they carry that you might buy.