PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE in OP:What do I do? Rental air quality is horrible.

WatchingThemGrow
08-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Help! We finally found a rental that will be month-to-month in our school zone. It's barely big enough for us, and it is currently chock full of the landlord's parents' old stuff. The parents have passed away, and it has been rented out for 1-2 years as a furnished rental (to fools????) It even has the parents' old alcohol, medicines, and furniture from the 60's.

DH and I met with the owner at the house tonight to nail down what we wanted to remain in the house, which is almost nothing. Just tables, no chairs, just the old bigger TV (maybe), some of the beds which she says are new, and some small things like bookcases/nightstands.

The problem is that the mudroom is filled with a bunch of boxed stuff, and it smells horrible - mildewy maybe. I mentioned it, and she confirmed it smelled badly. She's going to clear out all the pottery and personal stuff, and the upholstered furniture and rugs/quilted wall hangings at our request. When I left, I realized my voice had become hoarse, and I know from being in sick school buildings that this is one of the first things that happen when I'm exposed to bad air.

How in the world do I handle this??? Do I wait until she has cleared out everything and had the place cleaned to see how I feel in the space at that point? I don't feel like I can mention it now since I've only been there for an hour and just had a slightly sore throat. I did mention that our youngest has(had) asthma and that's why we needed upholstered stuff removed. We really need a place to stay. :(

Do you think the smells will go away when all their books and stuff goes away? She said the beds are new (compared to 50 year old furniture) and I didn't smell as much back in the bedrooms. ugh.
---------------------
UPDATE: We went out of town, came back spend fistfulls of money on hotel rooms for several nights until the house was ready and had the "heavy duty" cleaning done by professionals (C grade cleaners, but they gave it a shot.) We moved in lightly - not unpacking kitchen, clothes, linens or anything besides the essentials - bedding and toys. We spent the first night there and I could barely stand the stale smell. We aired out the house the next morning, which seemed to help a bit, but later the A/C came on and within an hour, I became semi-hoarse. The boys kept waking up thirsty (odd, but they didn't have their water bottles nearby) and DH had a stuff nose/itchy eyes. I called DUCTZ to come out and check the ductwork, as I knew the landlord was at work and would want someone to take a look ASAP. The guy found that the ductwork was full of debris, bug carcasses, and there was a touch of mold on the register in the boys' room. I called around to get estimates for replacement, and finally got to tell the LL what was going on. She was very concerned about it. After I emailed her the specifics later that night, we slept with no AC running and put the boys in other rooms - one with us and one with DD. We packed up this morning and headed out for the weekend. Friends were going away and allowed us to use their condo once again. (We stayed there for a month already this summer.)

I ran back to the house to flip the laundry, grab our luggage, and that sort of thing. The HVAC guy was with the LL and they said they are going to replace the whole system. I'm not clear if it is the ductwork PLUS the air handler, compressor, coils, etc, but I'm pretty sure they will be making it right. Clearly, one night in the house after it is finished will tell me if we can actually stay there. We stayed 2 nights, and it'll be 5 nights before the situation is remedied. I just pray we haven't been exposed enough to make us truly sick, and that my throat will be back to normal in the morning. I really hope it doesn't affect DS2 who has previously diagnosed with asthma, but not treated for it for about a year.

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

brittone2
08-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Start with reading the LL tenant handbook for your state and then see if your town has its own.

When I looked into it when we were in our rental, it is tough to prove things like mold, etc. are an issue, unfortunately (eta: this was in my current home state, not NC). It seemed a tough case to prove in my state...it wasn't enough that they were present in many cases, but you had to show it was causing serious issues. I'd look into what the laws are in NC and then look for whether your town has its own handbook for tenants' rights.

If she's still cleaning stuff out of the house, that's probably a good sign. Hopefully it will be enough to make things liveable. I'd try to get it resolved amicably, but in the meantime I'd read up on the tenant/LL handbook, etc. in your area to see what you can do if things don't resolve.

Hang in there! I hope it gets better! :grouphug:

Green_Tea
08-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Do you think running a dehumidifier would help? I would assume that the "stuff" is a big part of the problem. Does it have wall to wall carpeting? How thoroughly could you clean?

gatorsmom
08-01-2012, 07:48 PM
I know from experience what a pain it is to move out all your deceased parents stuff. Going through it is painful. If the people who own the house are unable/unwilling, would they give you some money off the rent for moving their parents' stuff out? Do they have a garage to move it to? Basement? Maybe rent a POD?

If you can get the boxes out, steam the carpets, wipe down walls, get a dehumidifier going and blow out the air vents, I think you would feel a lot better.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. :hug:

brittone2
08-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Does the lease specify furnished, or that the owner would be leaving items there? If not, that may give you something to work with if push comes to shove. Our (ridiculous) LL left an enormous, wobbly, and unstable desk in one bedroom, but he had it written into the lease, so there wasn't much we could do about it. We disassembled part of it while we were there just for safety reasons since we had an infant who could have been crushed by it!
Does the lease spell out anything about LL keeping stuff in the house?

Katigre
08-01-2012, 08:30 PM
There is no way I would live there nor would I have a child with asthma living there - the health risks are not worth it at all.

WatchingThemGrow
08-01-2012, 11:13 PM
There's no carpet, and she's going to take the one rug to her house next door. I think that's a huge plus. Her siblings are coming in to take a lot of the pottery, wall hangings, and such, and she seems willing to remove the furniture we want gone. Her 2 car garage is packed, but she thinks she can get stuff into it. The place does come furnished - with their old irons, sifter, coffee pot, mugs, etc. She's going to pack up all that stuff and put it in the attic for when we move out. (Which I can't WAIT for!!!)

Friends just told me about how someone cleaned out an old person's stuff, thoroughly cleaned the walls, floors, etc., and the smell was gone. I told DH that we are truly stuck in the situation b/c we don't want DD to have to change schools for a temporary living arrangement - which any other rental would cause us to do. We have the option of staying in a friend's high rise vacation condo downtown (where we are now) starting in Sept, but it's not ideal with kids. I guess it is more ideal than bad air, though!

KpbS
08-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I would play out the scenario of what would happen if you couldn't stay in the rental for health reasons. I would be concerned that it is not just some old things that have an odd smell but some mold/mildew issues that are unknown (in the heating/air ducts? or crawlspace? water leak/rot?) that are making you feel ill.

If I were in your shoes I would make alternate plans for housing. Can your DD stay at her current school regardless of where you live since she is already enrolled? I know sometimes exceptions are made in our district and other times people use alternate addresses for enrollment purposes during times of transition.

WatchingThemGrow
08-02-2012, 06:06 AM
I would play out the scenario of what would happen if you couldn't stay in the rental for health reasons. I would be concerned that it is not just some old things that have an odd smell but some mold/mildew issues that are unknown (in the heating/air ducts? or crawlspace? water leak/rot?) that are making you feel ill.

If I were in your shoes I would make alternate plans for housing. Can your DD stay at her current school regardless of where you live since she is already enrolled? I know sometimes exceptions are made in our district and other times people use alternate addresses for enrollment purposes during times of transition.
I'll ask about the ductwork, have DH or better yet, Terminix come look at the crawlspace for mold. (they do it for free)

Our system is super-tight about living out of district for a school. Long story, but I've been talking with the asst. superintendent this month about the "can she stay" thing and the answer is not unless I appeal to the board in person.

sophiesmom03
08-02-2012, 08:50 AM
I would highly recommend having the ducts cleaned as part of the clean out. We did as soon as we moved into our house and the difference in air quality as well as heating efficiency was well worth it. We had lots of ducts and it was under $300.