PDA

View Full Version : Would you lend your swimsuit to a friend?

happymom
08-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Personally, I am a bit grossed out by the idea....its like lending bras (not the end of the world) and undies (the end of the world! ;)). Even worse because swimsuits need to be washed on cold water.

So what do you think?

In case you're curious, this isn't a random question....one of my close friends just borrowed mine and I'm a bit annoyed!! This friend is super chilled when it comes to germs (and everything else actually) and once in a while, we butt heads because of it. (i.e, her kids wanting to drink from my DD's water bottle- she sees no problem with this and I am NOT ok with it)

Anyways, she mentioned to me that she desperately needed a swimsuit and I told her to check Land's End as I had just gotten one that I loved. Her response? "Oh, great! I'll pick it up from you tonight!" I was so caught off guard that I couldn't say no!

Just to be clear, this friend is a sweetheart. In no way was she trying to push me into lending it. It just didn't occur to her that it would bother me and I couldn't bring myself to call her back and say no...

So she has my swimsuit and I'm grossed out!!

(btw I do not need the swimsuit right now, which she knew.)

buddyleebaby
08-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I would without hesitation.

Melaine
08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Yep, totally. Have and will. NOT ok with water bottle sharage however.

elektra
08-02-2012, 08:43 PM
For any friend of mine or guest in my house, I would definitely lend a suit!

wellyes
08-02-2012, 08:49 PM
I would , but your friend is a presumptuous ass.

happymom
08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
I would , but your friend is a presumptuous ass.

:rotflmao: I knew it would sound that way, which is why I added the part about her being a sweetheart! She is just so clueless sometimes....

I'm surprised to see that everyone is ok with it so far. After the little incident with my friend, I called a different friend and asked her what she thought and she agreed that no way would she lend her swimsuit. Maybe we're both crazy!!

SO would y'all share undies with friends too? I know that wouldn't come up as often, but still. If I was in a situation where a friend need underwear, I would give her a pair in a heartbeat but would not want it back.

Can't really do that with my (awesome) swimsuit!

ETA: I see the poll shows that some people agree with me after all!

SnuggleBuggles
08-02-2012, 09:00 PM
I'd do it but it'd give me a second of pause. Mostly bc it is a really, really strange request. She should buy a swimuit for herself. Send her to Target.

queenmama
08-02-2012, 09:00 PM
For some reason, I would lend a suit but not panties. Odd since panties are easier to sanitize in hot water/dryer. Bras would be fine, too.

Philly Mom
08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
I have no problem with sharing the water bottle but DD is in daycare and spends all day sucking on things that other kids suck on too.

However, I WOULD NEVER share a swim suit. Grosses me out just thinking of it. Last time I used someone else's suit I was 13 and at camp. Would not happen now. I don't even like sharing a towel with DH.

TwinFoxes
08-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Maybe it's because I grew up always in a pool or at the beach, but it doesn't bother me. There was always someone without a suit, and usually people had extras. But I do think it's a bit odd to not just go buy a suit if you have time. Wouldn't she want one that flatters her, not you? Especially if you're borrowing someone's brand new suit, that is a bit much.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I'll be the voice of dissent here..i would never think to lend a swimsuit of mine to anyone. That really grosses me out.

I share drinks/food with friends (if they ask)..i dont' mind that at all (especially in the summer..not as much in the winter where everything is going around). but the swimsuit thing would really gross me out! and no, i wouldn't lend out underwear either. i know it can be washed, but still.

and i would be bothered about other kids being allowed to drink from my kids' cups. in my playgroup (everybody is extremely laid back) NOBODY does that and everyone corrects their child if they are caught snacking/drinking out of another kid's sippy...everybody knows how hard it is to deal with sick kids and how easy it is to pass germs around. so everybody brings snacks/drinks for their own kid.

IMO, your friend sounds pretty clueless. i can understand requesting to borrow a swimsuit if you are visiting and forgot to bring one..but just out of the blue, because you dont' feel like buying one?? that is SO weird, to be honest (not to mention presumptious!)

ZeeBaby
08-02-2012, 09:18 PM
For any friend of mine or guest in my house, I would definitely lend a suit!

This if you are close enough to be in my house, I will lend you a suit. It gets washed.

twowhat?
08-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I've lent a swimsuit to visiting friends before. However, I would never ask someone if I could borrow their swimsuit because I'm fully aware that some people are comfortable with it and some people are not! Not to mention I want to be sure I'm comfortable with how I look in a swimsuit - If I were going somewhere I'd go out of my way to make sure I had one that I liked.

As for drinking out of the same bottles - yeah, yuck because you can actually get sick from that and yeah, I don't want to deal with sick kids if I can avoid it. Sharing drinks with my own friends I'm actually OK with. Because adults are not as germ-laden and I trust my friends to tell me if they think they've got a bug. Though this is usually limited to the "can I taste your drink" type of situation. I share drinks with DH no problem (like at the movie theater).

new_mommy25
08-02-2012, 09:21 PM
I put maybe for some people because I would lend to my sisters in a heart beat, and my friends and I used to always exchange swimsuits in high school. Then I remembered the time I went to the beach a few years ago and realized I forgot to put on bottoms. A friend of mine, not even a close friend, happened to have bottoms in her truck and I gratefully accepted them. So now that I think about it, I would probably lend to anyone if they were in need.

As to your friend, I just picked up a couple suits from Old Navy this week for $8 a piece. They also had a ton on clearance for even cheaper. Maybe you could kindly let her know about the sale?

BabyMine
08-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Maybe it's because I grew up always in a pool or at the beach, but it doesn't bother me. There was always someone without a suit, and usually people had extras. But I do think it's a bit odd to not just go buy a suit if you have time. Wouldn't she want one that flatters her, not you? Especially if you're borrowing someone's brand new suit, that is a bit much.

I grew up in the same environment and it never bothered me as a kid. Now that I am an adult I wouldn't.

indigo99
08-02-2012, 09:27 PM
I would never either. I got a ringworm last month that really spread the day I wore a swimsuit. I washed that thing in super hot water and baked it in the sun. I'm still a little worried about wearing it again though. Fungi and some viruses like HPV are pretty resilient and highly contagious.

I'd probably buy another suit for myself (especially since LE seems to be putting swim stuff on sale to get rid of it right now), and just tell her that one is a gift. If you want it back, wash it in hot water and dry in the sun.

AngB
08-02-2012, 09:28 PM
I would. I actually wore a "used" swimsuit today. During my first pregnancy, I bought a lot of maternity clothes from someone on Craigslist but I was only first trimester pregnant that summer so never wore it. This pregnancy the timing is perfect and I'm definitely not spending 20-30+ (even from target) on a maternity suit that I *might* wear once or twice in my lifetime. (Today was the first time I wore it.) I washed it in hot water first and put it through the dryer. Not really "supposed" to, but it was still a little big even after that.

People buy and sell used cloth diapers all the times (and I did that too.)

KLD313
08-02-2012, 09:29 PM
No, I wouldn't do it. I'm germ phobic and that would just gross me out. I would obsess over it and probably not want to wear the suit again.

megs4413
08-02-2012, 09:30 PM
I just recently lent one to a not-even-really-friend and didn't think much of it at first (because it was a brand new suit and I hadn't worn it yet and it was just the polite thing to do at the time), but then was SUPER skeeved out afterwards. I sort of regretted it and had to wash the suit multiple times (and on hot! Screw the instructions, i didn't want to catch anything!) before I would even entertain the idea of wearing it....I still haven't worn it. Maybe I should just throw it away.

okinawama
08-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I borrowed a maternity swimming suit from a friend when I was 37weeks along because my son had swimming lessons and I really didn't want to spend the money for the last 3 weeks of my (last) pregnancy. I gave her a time to think about it, and made sure that she knew that in no way would I be upset or offended if she thought it was gross. I didn't think twice about it.

rin
08-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I would, and this is the first time I ever realized anyone might have a problem with it. I come from a pretty large extended family where nobody seems to be too concerned about germs, though, since at our family's beach house there are a whole set of bathing suits that just whoever's out there wears if they didn't bring a suit. Never occurred to me to worry about it. Honestly, if you're wearing a suit into any public pool there's so much chlorine that I think any suit is probably pretty well sanitized.

indigo99
08-02-2012, 09:40 PM
People buy and sell used cloth diapers all the times (and I did that too.)

Off topic, but my sis picked up a used diaper at a consignment sale for $4 and sold it on ebay for over $100!! I was shocked. She said it was a rare print. COME ON!! Who collects used diapers?

queenmama
08-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Off topic, but my sis picked up a used diaper at a consignment sale for $4 and sold it on ebay for over $100!! I was shocked. She said it was a rare print. COME ON!! Who collects used diapers?

Oh girl. There are rabid fans of certain brands! It's cray. I've seen them go for hundreds! It's ridiculous!

Melaine
08-02-2012, 09:45 PM

You haven't been to diaperswappers.com huh?

maestramommy
08-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Yes, I would. If I don't have a problem with buying used cloth diapers, why would I have a problem with loaning my swimsuit?

AngB
08-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Good for her! There are some...interesting characters... over on diaperswappers. I wouldn't even know a rare print if I saw it but $4 is a good price for a CD in decent condition--I resold a lot of ours for $5- 6 each and they were gone in hours and a lot of them had worn velcro and stuff. There are definitely cloth diaper, erm, fanatics, out there, including some people who "collect" them, and I suspect some people buy them who don't even have kids in diapers anymore.

megs4413
08-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Yes, I would. If I don't have a problem with buying used cloth diapers, why would I have a problem with loaning my swimsuit?

I hate to say it, but...HPV? That's seriously the distinguishing feature in my mind...

happymom
08-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! If I had not been so caught off guard, I would have said teasingly- eew, I can't share my swimsuit! And then she would have joked about what a germaphobe I was and that would have been the end of it....

If it was a cheap extra swimsuit, I definitely would tell her to keep it. But it was not cheap, and I really like it! I'm a size 14 and its not always easy to find a swimsuit that I actually feel good in. Grrrrrr

ETA: I just checked and I actually only paid $20 for the swimsuit since I got it on sale. If I could get it again for the same price, I would probably do that and let her keep the other one. But I just checked the Land's End website and its $120 for the same suit! This one-
http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-solid-carmela-one-piece-slender-suit~191482_593.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::KE5&CM_MERCH=search-_-carmela&origin=search

I actually have it in dark brown. I wouldn't want the purple or pink that are on sale, and they don't come in my size anyways. And even the sale price is $60!

buddyleebaby
08-02-2012, 10:04 PM
I hate to say it, but...HPV? That's seriously the distinguishing feature in my mind...

HPV is spread through skin to skin contact. You can't get it from a laundered bathing suit.

AngB
08-02-2012, 10:15 PM
I had never heard or even thought about the possibility of hpv possibly being transmitted from clothing, so did some googling, this was on a Q and A type website with doctors answering the questions, so seems relatively credible...not a lot out there on it.

HPV is presumed to survive a short time outside the infected person, so if a swimsuit comes off an infected person and goes immediately onto a second person, it makes sense that the second person can catch the HPV. If a swimsuit goes in the washer/dryer before the second person wears it, the second person is safe. If a swimsuit isn't washed but just hung up to dry, possibly HPV lives hours? days?

https://www.healthtap.com/#topics/can-you-catch-hpv-from-borrowing-a-bathing-suit-from-an-infected-person

123LuckyMom
08-02-2012, 10:21 PM
This doesn't skeez me out at all. I've also borrowed and lent undies with my mom and sister. All these items were laundered. Honestly, it's no different than wearing your own laundered undies. The adverse reaction is natural but unfounded. A clean item is a clean item no matter who wore it before it was cleaned.

buddyleebaby
08-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I had never heard or even thought about the possibility of hpv possibly being transmitted from clothing, so did some googling, this was on a Q and A type website with doctors answering the questions, so seems relatively credible...not a lot out there on it.

https://www.healthtap.com/#topics/can-you-catch-hpv-from-borrowing-a-bathing-suit-from-an-infected-person (https://www.healthtap.com/#topics/can-you-catch-hpv-from-borrowing-a-bathing-suit-from-an-infected-person)

Did you see the reply right under his?

"HPV is sexually transmitted. Causal contact, including sharing towels or taking baths does not transmit HPV."

From another website:
http://www.womens-clinic.org/human_papillomavirus.php (http://www.womens-clinic.org/human_papillomavirus.php)
TRANSMISSION:

HPV is transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, usually during sexual intercourse. It can also be transmitted through oral sex. It can be passed even if there are no signs or symptoms of the virus. It cannot be spread by kissing, toilet seats, bedding, door knobs, swimming pools, hot tubs, shared clothing or eating utensils.

From the CDC and planned parenthood, respectively:
How do people get HPV?

HPV is passed on through genital contact, most often during vaginal and anal sex. HPV may also be passed on during oral sex and genital-to-genital contact. HPV can be passed on between straight and same-sex partners—even when the infected partner has no signs or symptoms.
A person can have HPV even if years have passed since he or she had sexual contact with an infected person. Most infected persons do not realize they are infected or that they are passing the virus on to a sex partner. It is also possible to get more than one type of HPV.
Rarely, a pregnant woman with genital HPV can pass HPV to her baby during delivery. Very rarely, the child can develop juvenile-onset recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (JORRP).

HPV is spread by skin-to-skin contact — usually during vaginal, anal, or oral sex play.

I completely understand the "ick" factor for some people, and if they don't want a friend's cooch in their suit that's fine! But sharing suits does not put you at risk for HPV.

This conversation is reminding me of the Seinfeld episode with "the tractor story". :ROTFLMAO:

AngB
08-02-2012, 10:59 PM
I completely understand the "ick" factor for some people, and if they don't want a friend's cooch in their suit that's fine! But sharing suits does not put you at risk for HPV.

Thanks for the extra info!

HannaAddict
08-03-2012, 12:06 AM
I would do it and no big deal to wash in warm or hot water once if you are grossed out. We wash suits in warm all the time and even the dryer happens. No damage or shrinkage and they are $$ suits, just wash in warm.

MMMommy
08-03-2012, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't want to lend out my own adult size bathing suit to a friend. However, I am okay with (and have) lent out DDs' bathing suits to their friends when needed. I assume at DDs' age, there is less "ick" factor because they have less or no female bodily fluids (sorry if TMI) at that age.

happymom
08-03-2012, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't want to lend out my own adult size bathing suit to a friend. However, I am okay with (and have) lent out DDs' bathing suits to their friends when needed. I assume at DDs' age, there is less "ick" factor because they have less or no female bodily fluids (sorry if TMI) at that age.

:yeahthat: I agree totally, TMI and all!

american_mama
08-03-2012, 12:46 AM
You know, I'm all over the place with my feelings. Until very recently, I thought I'd never lend or borrow a suit, and never buy a secondhand suit. But this summer, both DDs needed a team suit for the swim team that was discontinued and unavailable anywhere in their size. The same suit had been used the year before, and I put out a plea to team parents and managed to dredge up two suits. My girls wore them the day they were received without me even washing them. I don't know where my standards went, but I think we were in a rush and I figured they'd been in the drawers of those families for a year and any germs had died.

And just a week ago, I bought swim trunks at Goodwill for DS. i really paused about buying it, because it is beneath my standards, but it was cute, matched his swim shirt, and his current suit is ripped. I was fully prepared to spend $10 on a new one, but this one popped up for $2... and I bought it. And feel ashamed.

But for me, an adult? I'd say no. But then again, your example didn't freak me out. Don't know where my standards would fall with that.

eta: I guess I am just someone who says one thing and does another, because I read other posts and also remembered that I bought two maternity swimsuits from ebay when I was pregnant with DD2. I was living overseas, didn'tknow where to find a maternity suit and it would have cost a fortune if I'd found it, and of course, no one wants to spend a lot on a maternity suit. So all that excused me buying a secondhand suit in my mind, but it doesn't say a lot for me having ironclad principles.

AnnieW625
08-03-2012, 12:58 AM
I am not sure what I would do but I would probably loan one out as well if need be.

A $4 Ragababe probably, one sold on EBay for $300 or something crazy. I have bought almost all of my cloth diapers used. No issues at all with that.

katydid1971
08-03-2012, 01:14 AM
I have borrowed suits as an adult when I have been somewhere and not expected to need a suit then needed it. It doesn't bother me. I also have a hand me down suit a GF gave me that use to be her DD's. It was in great shape and DD loved it. I hand down most of DC underwear to my DNs and it gets used. I hand down suits that haven't fallen apart too. The prefold diapers and newborn covers were used by DS, DN1, DD, DN2 and are now being used by DN3. Washing machines are wonderful inventions.

citymama
08-03-2012, 01:39 AM
I'd reeeeeally rather not. Not for the gross factor but the stretching out factor. I'm smaller than almost any adult I know and I'd worry my hard to find swimsuit would get stretched out. If it was an emergency, sure, or a suit I no longer loved, yes, but one of my fave suits? Please don't.

maestramommy
08-03-2012, 06:50 AM

You wash suits in between. Germs get washed off.

this thread reminds me that I bought my maternity suit at a secondhand baby store. No way was I going to spend $50 on something I'd wear a handful (literally) of times.

BabyBearsMom
08-03-2012, 09:06 AM
I think I would be okay with this. I borrowed nursing bras from my sister and I wouldn't think twice about lending her a bathing suit. Your friend sounds a little presumptuous but I don't think it is gross.

Corie
08-03-2012, 09:13 AM
When buying swimsuits, do you try them on?

I'm betting that not everyone keeps their underwear on while
trying on swimsuits. Think about how many naked women have
tried on that swimsuit before you bought it!

AngB
08-03-2012, 09:26 AM

And it probably hasn't been washed in between!

indigo99
08-03-2012, 10:07 AM

but if YOU keep your underwear on while trying it on and wash it before actually wearing it naked then it isn't exactly the same. I thought of this when deciding to order swimsuits online though.

I'm very susipicious that I got ringworm from trying on clothes though. I have no other idea how I got it on my stomach since it stays covered all the time, and I tried on a boatload of shorts the week before it showed up (takes 7-10 days to show).

eta: I'd probably soak the suit in a vinegar bath before laundering with clorox2 AND dry it in the sun. Yeast is one thing that can survive normal warm water washes. As someone said, chlorine will kill most things. However, most people wear their suits after getting out of the pool so the fact that the pool itself has chlorine doesn't mean that the suit would be OK.

sntm
08-03-2012, 11:45 AM
You are more likely to catch something from a doorknob. I have no problem lending a swimsuit. Or sharing water - id rather risk a cold than have a little one go thirsty!

wendmatt
08-03-2012, 11:56 AM
I would have no problem lending a swimsuit in the case of germs, but I would have a problem with a friend taking my new (awesome in your words) swimsuit for her own use before I had got to wear it out. Swimsuits don't last all that long with being in the sun and water all the time.

BabbyO
08-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Meh, never thought about it, but I guess it doesn't really bother me. Of course, I'll also wash my suit in warm water with whatever clothes I'm throwing in the washer right now, no special cycle (I do hang to dry though).

I don't think I'd even have a problem lending my "regular" undies, but my thongs I probably wouldn't. Bras don't faze me in the least unless someone is nursing...

I'm pretty relaxed about that sort of thing...I don't even care if kids drink from the same cup (I won't encourage it, but I won't freak if it happens)...but then again, I know my kids will eat 4 week old crackers they've stashed away on the floor on their closet....

All that said, I'd NEVER presume someone else was ok with me borrowing a suit. I might ask, but I'd never assume it would be ok.

maiaann
08-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't be so worried about germs as I would about my friend "stretching out" my suit. Swimsuits are expensive and pool chemicals/beach sand/etc. are incredibly harsh on them. If it's going to get snagged or stretched, I want to be the one responsible. ;)

MamaSnoo
08-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I do not have the heebie-geebies about loaning out a swim suit. I would be pi$$ed if a new swim suit was used by a friend, especially if it had significant wear when returned.

Of course, I also have 3-4 nursing bras passed down by an aquaintance to me (DH's co-worker who I know socially on a limited basis). It never would have occured to me to not wear them, after washing, of course.

maestramommy
08-03-2012, 05:35 PM

Of course I try them on. And of course I keep my underwear on. It's close enough.