PDA

View Full Version : Update on reflux baby; now, how much alimentum/best price?

Sopamanda
08-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Ok. We made it over the hump. After 16 hours and 11 minutes of just plain awfulness, baby took the bottle.

1. Next we hope it's good for her belly.

(Question) 2. How much would you recommend I feed her? We avoided formula for DS comPletely.

(q) 3. This will be a total budget buster (like need to get a supplemental job buster).
Any thoughts on where I can cut corners on price?

Many thanks. So grateful we're over the worst.

Amanda

chottumommy
08-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Ok. We made it over the hump. After 16 hours and 11 minutes of just plain awfulness, baby took the bottle.

1. Next we hope it's good for her belly.

(Question) 2. How much would you recommend I feed her? We avoided formula for DS comPletely.

(q) 3. This will be a total budget buster (like need to get a supplemental job buster).
Any thoughts on where I can cut corners on price?

Many thanks. So grateful we're over the worst.

Amanda

Check if your insurance covers the formula since it is prescribed by the doctor. Mine does not sure what the exact criteria is. Also I would suggest to keep pumping since one of my close friends faced the same problem with their DS2 and the formula didnot help with the green poop. She went back to breastfeeding and once he started on solid foods he started getting better. He has soy, milk, nut allergy but thankfully most Indian cooking doesnot is compliant with these FAs and he is much healthier now at 3.

BabyBearsMom
08-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Per Kellymom, it is about 25oz/day (http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/), according to this article it depends on the weight (http://baby.about.com/od/formulafeeding/f/infant_formula_needs.htm).

My estimate would be to feed her about 4oz every 3 to 4 hours (3 hours during the day and 4 hours at night). But of course, if the baby seems hungry, feed her.

KpbS
08-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Yes, 4-5 oz every 3-4 hours during the day. She will get established and let you know if she needs more/less. Aim for 24-25 oz per day.

Ask your ped office for samples--some are very generous. Ask for additional local resources. There are some local programs that provide infant formula at lower cost than regular retail prices. Sign up for Similac rewards/coupons--call the company and they will probably send you a coupon for a sample and additional coupons. I bought coupons off ebay for several years.

flashy09
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Amazon sells it as well and it's often discounted. So glad your baby finally took it. I just wanted to give my milk protein allergy baby a bottle a few times a week now that I don't produce anything when I pump and it took two months of trying before she gave in. What helped me was making it a little more diluted - 5 oz water with 2 scoops initially to help make it taste a little milder and I heated it up. I know giving it multiple times a day you can't dilute it, but if she goes on strike again it might help just for the first bottle or two. Anyway, she now has a bottle 3-4 times a week and actually seems to really like it - so there is hope! She has no stomach problems with it either and is very sensitive. Good luck! Hope she gets feeling better

daisysmom
08-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Ask your ped for samples and coupons. We would sometimes find sales at cvs or target too. Be forewarned tho, you know how bad it tastes for grown ups right? Well if there is spit up or throw up, it's even worse. We were on it for 9 months (at 8 weeks a suspected milk protein allergy, then we weaned her onto regular formula at 11 months to see if she could tolerate it before starting regular milk at one year). First week on alimentum, she threw a lot of it up. Really Nasty. And that is saying it nicely. Wash clothes spat upon immediately. But after a week or so, she was fine. Like you, our ped really didn't know for sure what she had... Could have just been a tummy bug and not a milk protein allergy.

Philly Mom
08-03-2012, 03:28 PM
At 4.5 months, my DD actually ate up to 30 oz a day (of regular formula). She normally had 5 six ounce bottles. Sometimes she wanted even more. However, by 5.5/6 months she dropped down to 24 oz and when I transitioned her to milk, she was drinking between 16-24 oz. She eats lots of solids, but was not as interested in in milk.

Sopamanda
08-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Her worst time of the day (while on bm) was after 5 until bedtime. Looks like the witching hour hasn't changed. She's fussing and not eating.

She ate 4 times today. Not a lot but tOok the bottle, which we found encouraging. She was also calm--could have been tired. She screamed more than ever between 4 pm and 8 am when she finally gave in.

It seems to be starting again.

Hellebent I'm making my way through the links. When they found blood in her stool I gave up.
I'm pumping so I should be able to go back if need be but I did the TED quite judiciously. Turkey, zucchini, rice, potatoes, and I was able to add pecan Sandies and Reese's Pb cups wIthout them bothering her.

I truly appreciate all your help and love!

Pardon typos, on phone.

Sopamanda
08-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Went tO ped. She's lost a half pound already and has only eaten 11 oz since Thursday. If we haven't noticed a change by tonight I'm giving her the breast again. And we'll just hope for the best.

scrooks
08-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Oh jeez! No advice but praying for you guys!

luli13
08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Wow! I have no advice but just want you to know that I am really pulling for you and your DD. I have a 4mo and we have been going through some health problems since his birth and it is really hard. I will be thinking about you and hoping for some peace and normalcy for your family :hug: Poor baby!

Tondi G
08-05-2012, 01:32 AM
yikes.... poor baby and poor Mama.... it's rough when your little one isn't feeling good and then what you decide to try doesn't seem to be helping (weight loss). Hang in there ...I hope whatever you decide to do works out!

Sopamanda
08-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Started bm again. Within 15 minutes she was happy, smiling, alert and playing with things.

That said, her worst time of the day was fussy again.

I asked for ped GI appt. it's far away and who knows when we'll get in but it's started. Grumpy I had to ask for it and ped didn't mention it sooner.

So now we wait and see what happens to her feedings (they were every hour when we started formula) an her poops (blood in stool when we stopped bm).

Thanks for the love. It had truly been a horrific few days.

Hemlock
08-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Sorry, no advice to offer. Just wanted to say that your post on the other thread about your baby crying softly and finally accepting the bottle made me cry.

You are a AWESOME mom, keep up the great work!

Melaine
08-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Went tO ped. She's lost a half pound already and has only eaten 11 oz since Thursday. If we haven't noticed a change by tonight I'm giving her the breast again. And we'll just hope for the best.

NOOOO!!!! I am so sorry to hear this.

Melaine
08-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Started bm again. Within 15 minutes she was happy, smiling, alert and playing with things.

That said, her worst time of the day was fussy again.

I asked for ped GI appt. it's far away and who knows when we'll get in but it's started. Grumpy I had to ask for it and ped didn't mention it sooner.

So now we wait and see what happens to her feedings (they were every hour when we started formula) an her poops (blood in stool when we stopped bm).

Thanks for the love. It had truly been a horrific few days.

Poor mama and poor baby. I am wondering if need to go the route of the ped GI before things get worse with DS....I think I am going to have them test for blood this week. How do they get a sample, can I bring back a dirty diaper or something?