PDA

View Full Version : any good deals on kids raincoats?

knaidel
08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Both my children need raincoats. I really can't fathom spending $30- 35 (ie- one from LLBean) on an item that they'll wear maybe 10x per year. Any suggestions on how to get a good deal on one? I checked all the online places I could think of: Lands End, LLBean, Sears, Penny, Kohls, walmart, target, etc....

Neither of my kids will wear an inexpensive Thomas or Cars one that you can get all over ebay....too babyish. :( Gymboree has one now, with footballs, and there's that code, but I imagine both my boys will say "for babies" or "for diapers." :( I really need a mostly solid one.

Any suggestions, or just suck it up and pay for it?

Momit
08-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Maybe check Sears B&M for a Lands' End deal (not sure if you checked B&M or online). We love their raincoats - I have a few stockpiled in bigger sizes, since I always grab them when I see a deal. My LE had an extra 40% off marked down items last time I was there and I believe there were some jackets included.

schrocat
08-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Check Costco. I know they have some in store at the moment.

Blue Hydrangea
08-03-2012, 12:32 PM
I got a cute rain jacket that looks like a firefighter's coat (Carters, I think) from Sam's Club last year. Less than $10. I don't know what they have them available this year, might be worth a look, and this weekend you don't need a membership to go.

ECMom
08-03-2012, 12:43 PM
I know you said you wouldn't pay $35 for a rain coat, however, we love the LL Bean Discovery rain coat. We also use it as a windbreaker/light jacket, which gives us dual purpose & make me feel it's worth the money. It has a mesh lining, which makes it more comfortable than their trail model rain coat or other vinyl/rubber rain coats.

lilhilly
08-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Maybe check Sears B&M for a Lands' End deal (not sure if you checked B&M or online). We love their raincoats - I have a few stockpiled in bigger sizes, since I always grab them when I see a deal. My LE had an extra 40% off marked down items last time I was there and I believe there were some jackets included.

I second checking Sears for a deal on a LE raincoat, especially if you do not need one immediately. Their raincoats are great and get dirt cheap when they clearance them out.

KDsMommy
08-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Just saw Western Chief raincoat/boot sets at Costco. For boys they had firefighter and camo designs. I *think* they were about $25 a set.

Kindra178
08-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Another vote to just pay for it. The llb discovery ones are awesome. They really work well in the rain.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

liz
08-04-2012, 08:38 AM
I agree with PP, just pay the $ for the coat esp if your boys have preferences in the style. Not worth spending less $ if they don't want to wear it (from my experience anyway). Maybe you could sell the name brand (llbean, LE etc) coats at a consignment childrens store to make some $ back after your kids have outgrown them? I also buy bigger sizes to get more wear out of them.

corrie23
08-05-2012, 10:25 PM
This time of year there are so many school/church/moms etc. groups having big resales for BTS. It might be worth checking one out to get raincoats there (ask around for recommendations for good ones). I always find raincoats tricky to find in the fall. It seems that a lot of stores only carry them in the spring.

flygirl555
08-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Living Social has a $20 for $40 to spend at Kidorable today. Most of the raincoats are in the $35 range and you can use the balance toward shipping. They also have rain boots and umbrellas.

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/858/deals/426720-40-to-spend-online-on-kids-clothing

Enjoy!

azzeps
08-06-2012, 05:20 PM
I really like Kidorable, and can usually find one at a consignment shop, but this year we were in Babies R Us, and they had a bunch of Julius monkey stuff on clearance, so I found a pink one for DD for $8!

I see you have boys and they're bigger, so that probably won't work for you, OP, but just in case anyone else is looking.

Glad to read about all the other good options. Might have to check those out for next year, or buying a size up!

knaidel
08-12-2012, 08:08 AM
update: I just ordered 2 raincoats from Lands End (the navigator one). 25% off with free shipping, plus tax free week in my state made it not too bad (just over $40 for both).
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. Oh, and I went through ebates, which gave me me approximately $2.60 back. :)

Jen841
08-12-2012, 09:47 AM
I see you got a LE one. That is all I will buy my kids now, of course on sale. They outgrew the cutest ones EVER (tie dye) and now have yellow ones I got last fall.

ckso
08-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Just saw Western Chief raincoat/boot sets at Costco. For boys they had firefighter and camo designs. I *think* they were about $25 a set.

My Costco has the boot/umbrella set no raincoat. I wish they had the coat/boot set.