PDA

View Full Version : Help me clean my shower, PLEASE!!!

trcy
08-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Especially when it comes to mildew. I realize this is Housekeeping 101, but I am at a loss. For some reason, the mildew in our bathroom is worse than any other bathroom I have dealt with. I just spent the last 30 minutes scrubbing the shower with bleach and it still looks the same. I have tried to spray it daily with bleach after showers as well, which has only helped a little. I know bleach is not the safest, but I really need to get this shower looking good. We are in a rental and will be soon moving out. Our landlord has been awesome and I don’t want to leave her anything to deal with. TIA!!!

BabyBearsMom
08-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Especially when it comes to mildew. I realize this is Housekeeping 101, but I am at a loss. For some reason, the mildew in our bathroom is worse than any other bathroom I have dealt with. I just spent the last 30 minutes scrubbing the shower with bleach and it still looks the same. I have tried to spray it daily with bleach after showers as well, which has only helped a little. I know bleach is not the safest, but I really need to get this shower looking good. We are in a rental and will be soon moving out. Our landlord has been awesome and I don’t want to leave her anything to deal with. TIA!!!

Have you tried Mr. Clean Magic Erasers? Those have worked the best for me with my nasty mildew in the master bath (previous owners were not cleaners)

bigsis
08-03-2012, 01:59 PM
I just cleaned 2 weeks ago, after I've let it go awhile :bag I used Soft Scrub. I put it all over, double up on the mildew spots. Then I let it sit for 1/2 hr before scrubbing with a kitchen sponge, using the courser side. But really it takes a lot of elbow grease. HTH!

123LuckyMom
08-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Is the mildew in all the tile grout or just on the caulk? It's fairly easy to recaulk a shower. You have to be careful not to chip the tiles when digging out the old caulk, but applying new caulk is easy. It will get mildew-y again, but for a few months at least, you'll have a nice fresh caulk line. Make sure you use a silicone caulk designed for wet areas.

mjs64
08-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Tilex? Probably more chemicals than just bleach, but at least you can spray it. Spray and leave it for 15minutes, rinse, spray again,etc. worth a shot.

elbenn
08-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Do you have a lot of soap scum? If so, I have read that Easy Off Fume Free oven cleaner works wonders. It's supposed to take soap scum right off with barely any elbow grease.

trcy
08-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all of the tips. I found Tilex mold & mildew and that seemed to really help. I plan on trying a magic eraser for the stains remaining.

doberbrat
09-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I use tilex when it gets bad but I'd also mention it to your ll since you say she's so wonderful - she might check to see how well the fan works in there or if there is anything she can do to make it less damp. Lots of mildew isnt really good for the bathroom either.

twowhat?
09-06-2012, 01:03 PM
I second Tilex. We have a bathroom with white grout and white tiles (yuck) and in an attempt to cover up any and all mildew for showings, the previous owners caulked on TOP of the grout in the corners, etc wherever mildew is likely to grow. Ugh.

Finally we tried Tilex one day - I sprayed it on, generously, and left it overnight with the window open and vent fan running (and bathroom door shut). It made a BIG difference. We'll still need to re-do the shower at some point, but at least we can get it looking clean enough to stand looking at it:)

Now I use the Tilex once every couple of weeks, always letting it sit overnight. In the worst spots, the mildew stain is still there, a light gray color...but that's a whole heck of a lot better than black.

teresah00
09-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Oops posted in wrong thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baymom
09-09-2012, 11:26 PM
A little OT, but keeping an open jar of 'Damp Rid' will really help absorb the moisture in your bathroom and minimize future mildew. Mine came with a black plastic pot that you pour the Damp Rid into... It's basically a really strong desiccant.