PDA

View Full Version : when do your kids start the 2012-2013 school year

AnnieW625
08-03-2012, 02:21 PM
DD1 starts Tuesday September 4th, she attends Catholic school (our school starts late, but other schools in our diocese start around August 13th because our diocese wants all schools to have 200 days of school, but our school administration and pastor don't agree, they are just fine with the 180 days of school)

DD2 will continue at her at home daycare this year.

eta: I didn't add public or private school options because I figured it didn't make much sense, but did add year round as an option for those kids who started their school year prior to July 30th. Just vote the week that school starts.

megs4413
08-03-2012, 02:22 PM
the 20th of august and I am counting.the.days.

nfowife
08-03-2012, 03:06 PM
the 20th of august and I am counting.the.days.
:yeahthat:

Except we start August 16!

ourbabygirl
08-03-2012, 03:10 PM
The day after Labor Day, per (a very outdated) state law... something about needing the longer summer to boost tourism and have teenagers be able to keep working in the summer, through Labor Day.
I would love it if our kids could start in mid-late August: We're so ready to send them back by then, and soooooo ready to be starting summer break by Memorial Day! That's speaking as a former teacher and current parent... though I'd be delighted to send my 1 year old to school and keep my sweet 3.5 year old home with me. ;)

KDsMommy
08-03-2012, 03:16 PM
August 20th my big boy starts Kindy!

boolady
08-03-2012, 03:24 PM
September 5th.

Gena
08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
August 14. I can't believe it's so close!

elliput
08-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Aug. 15th for DD (2nd) and Aug 20th for DS (Pre-K). They will be at the same school, but the Pre-K program has a different starting schedule. Enrollment was this week and I was at the school bright and early Monday morning. I also finished the school supply shopping last weekend.

There are a lot of changes at our school this year. The school district is opening several new schools this Fall and changed many school boundaries. One of the new schools is in the area which our school used to serve, so a big chunk of the students will not be returning making for some smaller class sizes. Our school also completed a building expansion which added six new classrooms, and the 2nd grade classrooms have been moved to some of these new rooms. The principle, nurse, speech/language pathologist, and several teachers retired, and some teachers have moved to other schools including DS's Pre-K teacher and the Special Ed teacher with whom my DD has worked since kindergarten. I'm hoping for the best with all of these transitions for DD.

LexyLou
08-03-2012, 04:04 PM
August 28th for the elementary, September 5th for preschool.

I have some friends who's kids started this last Monday!

maestramommy
08-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Dora and Arwyn start 8/28. Public school. Laurel starts 9/4. Same school but for preschool.

wencit
08-03-2012, 05:24 PM
August 28th for my first grader, and September 11th for my preschooler. Wow, it just hit me that I'm going to have 2 kids in school now.

This summer went by super fast for us!

kerridean
08-03-2012, 06:35 PM
We started today near Savannah, GA

brittone2
08-03-2012, 06:52 PM
We HS and go year-round with breaks as needed. Summer is more "school light" and more relaxed.

Our once a week co-op class with friends starts in mid August.

roseyloxs
08-03-2012, 07:24 PM
My kids are in the local German kindergarten. Summer break is only 3 weeks long. The school year starts up again on the 13th of August.

marie
08-03-2012, 09:32 PM
what?! no "not soon enough" option? :tongue5:

DC go back the week of my birthday every year - best.present.ever. :D

new_mommy25
08-03-2012, 09:36 PM
DD started July 30 and DS starts August 9. Summer is too, too short, IMO.

buddyleebaby
08-03-2012, 09:45 PM
We get to start AFTER labor day this year and I am thrilled.
Sending them back in August always seemed too soon to me.

MamaMolly
08-03-2012, 10:02 PM
August 9. Thank you, dear sweet Lord. ;)

queenmama
08-03-2012, 11:02 PM
We start Tuesday the 21st, which is unusual for us (indep. day school).

I am one of the few who dreads back to school. We have a commute and I'm still exhausted because this baby refuses to stick to any kind of routine (it doesn't help that I'm not a "routine" kind of mama). Before she was born, summer meant sleeping late, so school stinks for that reason, as we are major night owls. And I just plain love having Henry home.

KpbS
08-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Mid Aug here. I am sad at the end of every summer. DC do well with the routine but I love the laid back pace of summer. Sigh.

Mermanaid
08-03-2012, 11:07 PM
We start Aug 27 here. Not too much longer!

Kindra178
08-04-2012, 09:18 AM
August 22 for ds1 (public first grade) and August 27 for the twins (preschool).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

daniele_ut
08-04-2012, 10:11 AM
We get to start AFTER labor day this year and I am thrilled.
Sending them back in August always seemed too soon to me.

I totally agree with you. When I was a kid we spent our summers at the beach and you had to drag us all kicking and screaming off of the beach on Labor Day to start school the next day.

DS starts on August 27th and we've had such a crazy summer that I wish I could put it off another week or two! We just got back Wednesday from a month long work trip/vacation and now I have just 3 weeks to pack in a whole bunch of family obligations and shopping for uniforms and school supplies.

I'm not sure when dd starts preschool yet. I just got a notice about the parent meeting in 2 weeks, though.

speo
08-04-2012, 10:31 AM
August 29th here for public school.

hellokitty
08-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Public school starts 8/22 for us.

MamaKath
08-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Ugh didn't pay attention. Parochial school starting the week of 8/20. My other child will continue to homeschool and will begin the same week.

egoldber
08-04-2012, 01:49 PM
We start the Tuesday after Labor Day and I love it. :) The only downside is going later in June, but I would rather that than start in August.

strollerqueen
08-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Our schools got out towards the end of June, then the next week both older ones started summer school. That ended last week. Then they go back around Aug. 20th. So we really only have now three weeks of summer. WAY too short. We have always gone back to school in September before. I really hate starting school in August. Just seems so wrong. Not to mention that it is hot, and hard for the kids to concentrate.

strollerqueen
08-04-2012, 03:18 PM
DD1 starts Tuesday September 4th, she attends Catholic school (our school starts late, but other schools in our diocese start around August 13th because our diocese wants all schools to have 200 days of school, but our school administration and pastor don't agree, they are just fine with the 180 days of school)

DD2 will continue at her at home daycare this year.

eta: I didn't add public or private school options because I figured it didn't make much sense, but did add year round as an option for those kids who started their school year prior to July 30th. Just vote the week that school starts.
I just have to say that that still cracks me up. I picture Cardinal Mahoney sitting there watching TV. He hears on the news that American children are behind children in other countries. So he gets a lightbulb moment and says "Not on my watch! Catholic school children in LA will now lead the nation in the most days attending school!" Then the mandate came down from on high. Like waving a magic wand, and it just happens. (OK, maybe it didn't happen exactly that way, but something close.) When he's asked about increased costs for tuition, to cover higher teacher's and administrative costs, utilities, etc. he says "No Catholic child in LA will be denied a Catholic school education because they can't afford it." Um, right. Our tuition jumped so high that that part isn't even close to being funny.

happy2bamom
08-04-2012, 04:39 PM
We start Monday, August 6th. It was the shortest summer EVER! Our summer break was May 25th - August 5. Too, too short!!