PDA

View Full Version : Versa First Impressions

Multimama
08-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Okay, I got a chance to check out the Versa today so these are my first impressions. They are going to be pretty random so I wouldn't say this is a review.

Pros

The basket is big and accessible. Accessible from the back and easy to access from the front if the footrest is up.

The chrome/black frame is really pretty.

I like the hand brake a lot. I didn't really feel annoyed by the foot brake, but the hand brake is a huge improvement.

It is a one-handed fold. I could easily fold it with one handed while wearing a baby. Lifting it with one hand was trickier, but folding it with one-hand was doable.

It has a very compact fold for a full-sized stroller.

It felt very sturdy. Almost too sturdy for me. I was designing a Versa Lite version in my head. I need this stroller to weigh less! But if you do not need it to weigh less, it really is an awesome full-featured stroller.

You can sort of pull it along behind you by the pull strap. I say sort of because if you lock the front wheels it won't fold all the way so you can only do this with the front wheels unlocked, in which case they are kind of too wiggly to make it work well, but it does work.

They got rid of that silly label that says not to hang bags on the handle. (But they kept the label and wrote something else there. Something like, "Always push in safety lever before folding stroller." i don't know why they felt the need to write that on the hood.)

They used the nice magnetic closures for the peekaboo windows and there are two of those.

The push was really nice. I think it will be totally adequate for the vast majority of stroller users. (I was pushing it empty, but I think I can tell a good push even when I push them empty at this point. :)) It's similar to the BJCM push, but the single wheels up front help it have more of a turn-on-a-dime feel and I definitely noticed the bounce of the suspension on the back wheels. (I was going to put this in neutral observations, but I really did like the push.)

Neutral Observations

I put it next to the BJCM and the wheel base was just about the same for both, but the Versa seemed to have a bigger footprint somehow anyway. Not awful though.

The fabric is different than on my BJCM. It's less like windbreaker material. More heavy duty. Still not anything like what Bumbleride has to offer in that department though. :)

The way this seat is designed the pull strap isn't on the seat. This has the disadvantage that when you fold it you have to be careful you are folding so that the stroller will end up between your arm and your body because otherwise if you pull the strap so that the bulk of the stroller (the seat) ends up on the outside of your arm, you'll hurt your wrist. (That makes a lot more sense when you're actually doing it!) The fact that the pull handle isn't on the seat like it is on the BJCM or BJCE also makes it harder to carry, for the same reason. It is much easier to carry if you manage to pull the handle so that it ends up with the seat between your hand/arm and your body. The reason this is a neutral observation and not a con is that I found the fact that the pull handle is not on the seat itself meant it was easier to unfold it. You unfold the frame and then the seat.

The seat recline is a bucket recline. The seat is deep and big, which is great for big kids, but a deep bucket recline isn't so great for little babies. But I know SQ said it is adjustable somehow so I'll remain neutral on that until I see how the adjustable seat feature works. No one knew how to demo that yet. :)

Oh, I am neutral on the automatic lock. It is nice to have, but then you have to undo it to unfold the stroller, which is an extra step. But it's removable so I guess if you don't like it you can remove it. It's a nice lock and seemed to work really well.

Cons

26 lbs is HEAVY. The sales guy who helped me figure out how to fold it said when I asked to lift it "I think maybe it's a dad's job." Yeah, not the best sales techniques, but also, it's heavy!!

I hate the handle. This is the first thing I noticed that I didn't like. It is the this huge thick handle that is really too thick for me to put my hands around comfortable. I guess it's the same one they have on the BJCS, but yuck. I like the BJCM handle much better.

Even though it has an adjustable handle the highest adjustable handle height is really not very high. Much closer to the height of the BJCM than the BJCE. It's more like an adjustable handle for board riders or children than it is for tall adults.

You need two hands to put the footrest in the up position and to put it back down again. Why is it harder to put the footrest up than it is to fold the stroller? Strange.

The silver is fine, but pretty boring. I can't wait to see IRL pics of green. This is in the cons section because I want more exciting color choices! :)

The clips for adjusting the harness were different, but still seemed like they would be a pain to do. It has the same harness as the BJCM that I don't think I'd find comfortable if I were a kid.

I kept feeling like the seat should have a more upright position. It isn't super reclined, but I didn't think it was as upright as the Cruz, for example.

Overall

It is a really, really nice stroller and I think a lot of people will love it. I'm not sure it's the right stroller for me simply because of the weight. I think I'll keep using my BJCM for awhile and see what's on the horizon at ABC next month.

hollissmama
08-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the comparisons to the BJCM were great too since that is our main stroller right now and we love it!

I think the weight would be a deal breaker for me as well. I actually sold the Vista for that reason mainly, it seemed so heavy to get in and out of the car all day. Also the bigger footprint concerns me since it would be my indoor stroller. BJCM is the most room I can take up most places.

It does sound like a really good single stroller that is full featured. I love the sturdiness of baby jogger strollers too so it may be needed for our next babe. :) in addition to our city mini.

queenmama
08-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Excellent to hear more about it! I sure wish it was a bit lighter. It has so many great features, but I guess they add up.

saradelphina
08-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Hi, lurker in! :wavey:

I purchased it yesterday. I've also recently owned the Cruz (sold it tonight) and the Bumbleride Flyer. We used the Cruz for 5 months until I could get my hands on what I really wanted, which was the Versa.

Overall, I love it. I don't even mind the weight. The footprint is significantly smaller than the Cruz, and I love that I can fold it facing inwards. The push is better than the Cruz and leaves the Flyer's push in the dust.

I'd like the basket to be a little bigger (spoiled by the Cruz in this regard) and I'd prefer a telescoping handle. I'm 5'9" and the handle on the Versa, even at its highest height, is still a tiny bit too low for me. But it's not a big deal; I'll trade nicer push, better/quicker/more compact fold, for a somewhat smaller basket (but it's by no means small!) and a handle that doesn't quite come up high enough for me.

Good job, Baby Jogger! This baby was well worth the wait!!!

Oh, and we got the red. The silver was underwhelming (it's very light), I liked the green (my husband didn't) and I didn't see the black, but it wouldn't have been our choice anyway. I really, really, really wanted this stroller in purple...but you can't have everything. :)

hollissmama
08-04-2012, 07:23 AM
How old is your baby Saradelphina? Is there plenty of room in the seat?

sweetsoul99
08-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Basically there still isn't anything that can compete with the bee? I thought strollers were supposed to be getting lighter!

Multimama
08-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks for your more positive review, Seradelphina! The comparison to the Cruz is great. Can you tell me more about what the green is like IRL? In the stock pic it looks like minty toothpaste. Is that the IRL color?

I think I was just disappointed because I wanted it to be a reversible BJCM but it is much more like a Vista with an easy compact fold and a smaller footprint. It's still an awesome stroller, but just not my dream stroller.

ETA: It's true. There isn't anything that can compete with the Bee. It still wins first prize for most hideous stroller on the market. :)

roseyloxs
08-04-2012, 10:12 AM
ETA: It's true. There isn't anything that can compete with the Bee. It still wins first prize for most hideous stroller on the market. :)

My bee is gorgeous but I did have to pay extra to pretty it up with some maine baby treats. The Valco Spark should be coming out any day now. You'll have to find a retailer and breakdown that one for us too. It's only 23.8 lbs so maybe it has a chance.

Multimama
08-04-2012, 10:29 AM
My bee is gorgeous but I did have to pay extra to pretty it up with some maine baby treats. The Valco Spark should be coming out any day now. You'll have to find a retailer and breakdown that one for us too. It's only 23.8 lbs so maybe it has a chance.

Yeah, for some reason i am not at all interested in the Spark. The Zee felt cheap to me. But I promise to look next time I go and see if the Spark is on the floor. :)

rolypoly27
08-04-2012, 10:29 AM
GMnnn
N

moll73
08-04-2012, 10:49 AM
The weight is worrying me too. I realized I don't really "need" a new single until the December until the new baby comes since for now my boys are loving the GT double. I think I'll wait and compare the Versa and the Spark, and like you, wait and see the new fall reveals. Thanks so much for your detailed descriptions. That was so helpful! I hope I can see one in person around here soon!

teo
08-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the impressions! For saradelphina, I'd love to hear more about the Versa vs. the Cruz...we have the Cruz right now too, and got it for the same reason (we needed it months ago so clearly the Versa wasn't an option!) I'm very curious to see if it would make any sense to try to sell the Cruz and switch to the Versa, but I'm not convinced it will fix the issues I have with the Cruz, so would love to know more about your experience. The two things I dislike about the Cruz are the weight/bulk (we don't take it in and out of a car, but do periodically need to lift it with the baby inside for things like going on and off the bus, and it's heavy now that there's 20 pounds of little guy in there!) and the wheels (not all-terrain enough---they don't handle deep gravel at all and periodically get stuck in sidewalk cracks or on curbs). [And yes, I know these two wants are totally contradictory! :P] When I saw the Versa specs, I wasn't optimistic that it would do better on either of these fronts, but sounds like maybe the wheels do handle better in spite of being EVA instead of rubber-over-foam? Do you find it does better than the Cruz did on bumps, broken pavement, etc.? That by itself might make it worth getting if I can recoup enough on our Cruz...just wish I knew how much longer our kiddo is really going to want to parent-face, since he goes back and forth on this daily now. *sigh* Thanks!

strollerqueen
08-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Follow-up from me... :loveeyes: I pushed it ALL over the OC Fair a couple of days ago. I mean all day, and all night. That's what happens when you have older kids who like rides, sigh. I have to say that it was just brilliant. We had purses and backpacks and bags piled up in the basket. SP 2.0 jumped in and out all day. Much of the time I was holding a coffee or one of the kid's drinks in my other hand, so I mostly pushed it one-handed. A stroller with smaller wheels might have gotten stuck going through the haybarns and aggie places, so I was happy I chose the Versa. But the fair was pretty crowded, so I was happy I didn't have anything bigger.:bighand:

We were in my friend's Mercedes SUV which has the weeniest cargo space I have ever seen. She said there was no way it would fit. But was shocked to see that it did! :cheerleader1: I was also really happy that at the end of the loooong day I could just yank the strap and throw it in there. We were all so tired, and not having to fool with folding a stroller it really a blessing in these situations. :yay:So in short, I do think think it's very "Versa-tile". There are not a lot of strollers that could have handled this type of situation so well.:love5:

strollerqueen
08-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Basically there still isn't anything that can compete with the bee? I thought strollers were supposed to be getting lighter!
You know what I think compares? The Mutsy Evo. It really feels like the same size and weight, and the push is brilliant. It's simpler, less fussy, and less $$$, if you need to spend less on a lighter-weight reversible.

sweetsoul99
08-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks! I've always wanted an excuse to check out a Mutsy =)

PZMommy
08-04-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm so torn. I really want the Versa, mainly for the option to have my baby face me. But I'm also considering the City Mini GT because of thw wheels. I would like something fairly small and compact, but will handle well at the zoo, Disneyland, neighborhood walks, mall, etc. I know at some point my baby will like to face out, just not sure when that will happen, and not sure that is a must have on a stroller. If theVersa had GT wheels, it would be a no brainer. If I thought they would come out with a wheel kit, it would be a no brainer too.

I have the City Select, and like the push of it and that my baby can face me. I also use it as a double. I do find it a bit big as a single, but not overly so.

Is the size of the versa closer to the select or to the city mini?

Any other input on which I should go with, Versa or GT? I have a just turned 3 yr old of average size and a very small almost 1 yr old. We may have a 3rd at some point....

Dawn

moll73
08-04-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm so torn. I really want the Versa, mainly for the option to have my baby face me. But I'm also considering the City Mini GT because of thw wheels. I would like something fairly small and compact, but will handle well at the zoo, Disneyland, neighborhood walks, mall, etc. I know at some point my baby will like to face out, just not sure when that will happen, and not sure that is a must have on a stroller. If theVersa had GT wheels, it would be a no brainer. If I thought they would come out with a wheel kit, it would be a no brainer too.

I have the City Select, and like the push of it and that my baby can face me. I also use it as a double. I do find it a bit big as a single, but not overly so.

Is the size of the versa closer to the select or to the city mini?

Any other input on which I should go with, Versa or GT? I have a just turned 3 yr old of average size and a very small almost 1 yr old. We may have a 3rd at some point....

Dawn

Are you planning to keep the City Select? If so, I'd definitely go with the GT for a more compact, yet good terrain single. I believe the Versa is closer in size to the Select, so it may be redundant for you if you're keeping the Select.

PZMommy
08-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Are you planning to keep the City Select? If so, I'd definitely go with the GT for a more compact, yet good terrain single. I believe the Versa is closer in size to the Select, so it may be redundant for you if you're keeping the Select.

Yes, I'm keeping the Select. I need a double stroller. I do use it as a single mainly, over the B Agile, because my son likes to face me.

I'm leaning towards the GT, because I do want something smaller. I was just hoping for the bonus of having my baby face me. That isn't a deal breaker though.

I'm hoping. My BuyBuy Baby gets the Versa in stock soon, so I can go see it for myself before making a final decision.

(I'm planning to Craigslist the B Agile once I get another stroller.)

Dawn

Multimama
08-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Okay, I didn't compare them side by side, but I don't think the Versa is really bigger than the GT. I mean the size difference isn't so much that it was really noticeable to me. The GT is a pretty chunky stroller. The City Select is definitely longer than the Versa, but I was looking at it with 2 seats on so of course the BJCS looked bigger! :) Having both the Versa and the BJCS seems redundant though. Why not sell the BJCS, buy the Versa, and get a different double, maybe an SBS?

This is just based on my first impression and I have only pushed them in the store, but I would not buy the GT over the Versa just to get the GT tires, especially if your son likes to face you. The GT tires are nice, but let's put them in perspective. We are not talking about air tires here. They are foam tires. They improve the push over the BJCM, but it's not, like, wow, that's amazing, my stroller is floating on air now. The Versa also has a better push than the BJCM so really the difference in push between the GT and the Versa is pretty negligible compared to, say, the difference between your child being able to face you when he wants to (Versa) vs. not be able to face you (GT). If it's in your budget I would get a double with air tires and then sell your BJCS for the Versa, if it were me. A double is the place you really want nice tires, IMO.

strollerqueen
08-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Okay, I didn't compare them side by side, but I don't think the Versa is really bigger than the GT. I mean the size difference isn't so much that it was really noticeable to me. The GT is a pretty chunky stroller. The City Select is definitely longer than the Versa, but I was looking at it with 2 seats on so of course the BJCS looked bigger! :) Having both the Versa and the BJCS seems redundant though. Why not sell the BJCS, buy the Versa, and get a different double, maybe an SBS?

This is just based on my first impression and I have only pushed them in the store, but I would not buy the GT over the Versa just to get the GT tires, especially if your son likes to face you. The GT tires are nice, but let's put them in perspective. We are not talking about air tires here. They are foam tires. They improve the push over the BJCM, but it's not, like, wow, that's amazing, my stroller is floating on air now. The Versa also has a better push than the BJCM so really the difference in push between the GT and the Versa is pretty negligible compared to, say, the difference between your child being able to face you when he wants to (Versa) vs. not be able to face you (GT). If it's in your budget I would get a double with air tires and then sell your BJCS for the Versa, if it were me. A double is the place you really want nice tires, IMO.
Well said! :applause:

hollissmama
08-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Yup I agree and think you should get the Versa maybe..., I didn't feel like the push was as good as air when I had the GT. It pushed similar to the City Select as a single IMO, but really either option seems redundant w/ the select. Maybe a city mini? I think if I had a lighter option w/ my city select we would have enjoyed it more.

PZMommy
08-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Ugh! My decision is harder than I thought. I really don't want to sell the Select as I will never get even half of what I paid for it. My Craigslist is full of Gracos and Baby Trend (at least I had no issues selling my old Gracos lol).

I pretty much use the double when I am out shopping with both boys by myself. If there are two of us, we take two single strollers, so we can divide and conquer our errands in half the time, as our boys didnt get my shopping gene. lol I just don't like my B Agile, so I want something to replace that.

I did have a SBS with air tires (cheap Baby Trend), and finally sold it, as I have used it once. Even at the Zoo we found two singles to be easier than a double when trying to get through crowds.

My youngest has some health issues, one being low tone, and he has difficulty sitting up. The City Select " bucket" type seat works well for him. I know the GT seat is more like the B Agile seat. Is the Versa more like the Select? That could factor into my decision as well.

I'm just thinking out loud here. I don't know if any of this makes sense. lol

Dawn

PZMommy
08-04-2012, 11:35 PM
My BuyBuy Baby won't have the Versa for at least a month. Any ideas on what other store may carry it? My BRU is a small store and carries very little, especially in higher end strollers.

Any other ideas for a stroller that is smaller than the Select, but the seat can reverse, has a good push, and a decent fold without removing the seat?? If I skip the reversible seat issue, I'm assuming the Select, just not sure how well my baby would sit in it, considering how he does in the B Agile.

Dawn

rolypoly27
08-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the in-depth first impressions. We currently have the Cruz and love everything about it except the push. I'd like to hear how the Versa compares to the Cruz. I'm hoping there will be some side-by-side reviews with pics or video.

rolypoly27
08-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi, lurker in! :wavey:

I purchased it yesterday. I've also recently owned the Cruz (sold it tonight) and the Bumbleride Flyer. We used the Cruz for 5 months until I could get my hands on what I really wanted, which was the Versa.

Overall, I love it. I don't even mind the weight. The footprint is significantly smaller than the Cruz, and I love that I can fold it facing inwards. The push is better than the Cruz and leaves the Flyer's push in the dust.

I'd like the basket to be a little bigger (spoiled by the Cruz in this regard) and I'd prefer a telescoping handle. I'm 5'9" and the handle on the Versa, even at its highest height, is still a tiny bit too low for me. But it's not a big deal; I'll trade nicer push, better/quicker/more compact fold, for a somewhat smaller basket (but it's by no means small!) and a handle that doesn't quite come up high enough for me.

Good job, Baby Jogger! This baby was well worth the wait!!!

Oh, and we got the red. The silver was underwhelming (it's very light), I liked the green (my husband didn't) and I didn't see the black, but it wouldn't have been our choice anyway. I really, really, really wanted this stroller in purple...but you can't have everything. :)

Thanks for this. We also have the Cruz and love it except for the push. Is the Versa push that much better? Also, is the Versa seat as upright as the Cruz? DD likes to sit up and look around so the super upright Cruz seat has been great for that.

Multimama
08-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Any other ideas for a stroller that is smaller than the Select, but the seat can reverse, has a good push, and a decent fold without removing the seat?? If I skip the reversible seat issue, I'm assuming the Select, just not sure how well my baby would sit in it, considering how he does in the B Agile.

Well, if there's no way you'll sell the Select, why not just keep using that as your reversible single (unless I'm missing something) and get a more AT single to replace the B-Agile? I was thinking the Mountain Buggy +1 could work really well with the ages of your kids and your needs.

Multimama
08-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks for this. We also have the Cruz and love it except for the push. Is the Versa push that much better? Also, is the Versa seat as upright as the Cruz? DD likes to sit up and look around so the super upright Cruz seat has been great for that.

I don't own a Cruz, but these are the things that caught my attention that I liked better about the Cruz:

1) nicer fabrics/colors/styling (personal preference)
2) very accessible basket (the Versa is accessible, but the Cruz is wonderful)
3) very upright seat (Versa didn't seem as upright to me, but maybe that was just my impression)
4) better canopy (obviously the Versa has a nice canopy, but I like the Cruz one better)
5) telescoping handle, handle is more comfy too
6) I think I like the harness better but I'd have to look again
7) snugseat for very young riders (but then there's no bassinet, so...)
8) TravelSafe bag option - love this
9) a couple of pounds lighter

But the fold on the Versa blows the Cruz out of the water. It's hard to compete with the Baby Jogger fold and the Versa is no exception there. I'm also hoping the Freerider will work with the Versa.

I am just guessing but I think the Versa push would be better. The tires seemed beefier. But I'd have to push them outside to know for sure. I hope the PP who has had both can chime in.

hollissmama
08-05-2012, 08:12 PM
I have realized I like the push on most BJ strollers, they seem so sturdier, not creaky or wobbly. I have heard things about the Cruz getting squeaky which is what my Vista did.
Hoping to see the Versa IRL soon.

I just ordered the freerider for our BJCM and looking at the pics of the Versa I don't think the adapter will work b/c the back bar looks too thick much like the city select, I wonder if they designed them to only work with the BJ glider board...

PZMommy
08-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Well, if there's no way you'll sell the Select, why not just keep using that as your reversible single (unless I'm missing something) and get a more AT single to replace the B-Agile? I was thinking the Mountain Buggy +1 could work really well with the ages of your kids and your needs.

That is an option I can explore!

I guess I just want something smaller than the Select when I am out with just the baby. I also like that the Versa can fold in one piece. I can't fold the Select with the seat on facing me. When we traveled, I tried using our B Agile through the airport and while we were on vacation, as it was a more compact stroller, but my baby screamed the entire time in it, and it just didn't work for us. We typically fly across the country several times a year to visit family. Both DH an I have large cars, so at home it isn't much of an issue. I'm hoping the baby gets over his must see mommy at all times issue, but he has some health issues, and has developed some anxiety due to multiple hospitalizations and medical procedures. I do wear him sometimes, which eliminates the stroller issue, but I can't do that all the time.

Dawn

rolypoly27
08-05-2012, 11:56 PM
1) nicer fabrics/colors/styling (personal preference)
2) very accessible basket (the Versa is accessible, but the Cruz is wonderful)
3) very upright seat (Versa didn't seem as upright to me, but maybe that was just my impression)
4) better canopy (obviously the Versa has a nice canopy, but I like the Cruz one better)
5) telescoping handle, handle is more comfy too
6) I think I like the harness better but I'd have to look again
7) snugseat for very young riders (but then there's no bassinet, so...)
8) TravelSafe bag option - love this
9) a couple of pounds lighter

But the fold on the Versa blows the Cruz out of the water. It's hard to compete with the Baby Jogger fold and the Versa is no exception there. I'm also hoping the Freerider will work with the Versa.

You've listed all of the reasons I love our Cruz. It really is a great stroller. And I find the fold to be really easy, although it is a bit bulky when folded. I just wish it pushed better and the frame wasn't so creaky. I wish they would put better tires on it, but then again, that would make it heavier. Oh, and I just noticed that the peekaboo windows on the Versa are plastic. I really like the mesh windows on the Cruz.

teo
08-06-2012, 12:43 AM
You've listed all of the reasons I love our Cruz. It really is a great stroller. And I find the fold to be really easy, although it is a bit bulky when folded. I just wish it pushed better and the frame wasn't so creaky. I wish they would put better tires on it, but then again, that would make it heavier. Oh, and I just noticed that the peekaboo windows on the Versa are plastic. I really like the mesh windows on the Cruz.

FWIW, I had a chance to see them side by side this afternoon--love the Versa! BJ did a great job with it. But for our situation, the pros and cons versus the Cruz (which we already have) are pretty much a wash. Definitely not worth trying to swap out the Cruz for a Versa, so I feel way better about it now. :D

A few things I really liked about the Versa:
- Fold--WAY better and folds both ways!
- Sun shade...I do prefer the overall coverage on the Cruz, but the Versa "base shade" gives better coverage than the Cruz base shade does, which I really liked
- Foot rest is better than the Cruz's for older children, I think
- Wheel size seems better for curbs/cracks/etc.--I didn't try the Versa outside so can't compare the push directly, though.

And a few I prefer about the Cruz:
- Mesh peekaboo window, as someone noted above. We use it for airflow a lot in a temperate climate, so the plastic window wouldn't help much on that front.
- Basket, though I think the Versa's is fine (vs. the City Mini's, where the inaccessibility of the basket was one of the primary reasons we didn't choose that stroller). It's just not as big/sturdy as the Uppababy basket.
- Weight--the Versa was really a lot heavier lifted open with baby, which is how I lift the Cruz most often. So that was a big bummer.
- Wheel base is definitely wider on the Versa, which would be an issue for us (even though I thought the specs were basically the same?)
- Rear rubber-over-foam tires--I knew the Versa had the same tires as the City Mini, but was just hoping they would somehow be more durable. They're pretty much identical, though. Our neighborhood streets are in awful shape and eat our neighbors' City Mini wheels alive, and I really rely on our rear wheels to go up and over curbs, steps, etc. so that sealed the deal. If they ever come out with the Versa with GT tires (and if we ever have a second baby!) I'll definitely revisit, though---loved the fold!

I like the handle, harness, and fabrics on both equally--they're just different, I think. I'm betting Uppa will release the Cruz bassinet that they sell for the UK version in the U.S. now to close the gap, so then they will really be pretty comparable---will just come down to preferences. I talked to the store sales associates a bit about what bugs me about the Cruz, and they didn't think the Versa was the answer I'm looking for--steered me towards a more all-terrain stroller (which I've been hunting for used anyway, so pretty much just reinforced that this is the way to go).

So, we're keeping the Cruz. I was excited to find that the bumper bar is out now---brought one home and the kiddo adores it, so that was a win! (Also fixed one annoying thing about the Cruz, since I can now easily flip the direction of the seat with one hand while holding the baby in the other, which made me nuts before.) If I were buying new and didn't need the lighter weight, though, I think I'd probably prefer the Versa for the awesome fold.

Multimama
08-06-2012, 07:18 AM
(Also fixed one annoying thing about the Cruz, since I can now easily flip the direction of the seat with one hand while holding the baby in the other, which made me nuts before.)

Really? I tried this but since it seemed like you need to depress both of the buttons on the sides at the same time it didn't seem workable. Maybe it just takes practice?

I thought the Versa wheels were bigger than the City Mini wheels? I know that doesn't solve your issue, but just wondering more about this. Thanks for your review!

teo
08-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Really? I tried this but since it seemed like you need to depress both of the buttons on the sides at the same time it didn't seem workable. Maybe it just takes practice?

I thought the Versa wheels were bigger than the City Mini wheels? I know that doesn't solve your issue, but just wondering more about this. Thanks for your review!

I know, I didn't think it would go smoothly either, but it worked beautifully! (Tried it unplanned when the baby started to get overwhelmed by strangers in the grocery store.) You have to release the buttons one at a time first, but then you can lift, flip, and snap it back in in a few seconds. I don't think you could do it easily with a baby in it (at least not one as old/squirmy/heavy as mine!) but it worked fine to switch it while holding him.

I also thought the Versa wheels were going to be a bigger than the City Mini's, but turns out they're the same size--both 8". Ah, well. (They are still bigger than all of the Cruz's wheels, though!)

Multimama
08-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I know, I didn't think it would go smoothly either, but it worked beautifully! (Tried it unplanned when the baby started to get overwhelmed by strangers in the grocery store.) You have to release the buttons one at a time first, but then you can lift, flip, and snap it back in in a few seconds. I don't think you could do it easily with a baby in it (at least not one as old/squirmy/heavy as mine!) but it worked fine to switch it while holding him.

Interesting. I'll probably cave and get the Versa for the fold, but I still like the look of the Cruz better.

Can anybody who has seen the green IRL describe it to me and tell me if it looks like stock photos and if so which one? (There seem to be two different shades of green stock pics.)

teo
08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Interesting. I'll probably cave and get the Versa for the fold, but I still like the look of the Cruz better.

Can anybody who has seen the green IRL describe it to me and tell me if it looks like stock photos and if so which one? (There seem to be two different shades of green stock pics.)

It was not as minty as it looks in the Baby Jogger stock photo, IMO. I'm sort of at a loss as to how to describe it, though--maybe a very muted teal? It's nice, but light and I might worry that it would show a lot of dirt. I haven't seen the Uppababy green in real life, but to me the Versa green looks similar to the photos I have seen of the Vista in Carlin. Maybe someone who's seen both can weigh in?

legaleagle
08-06-2012, 01:15 PM
If you scroll down, there's a non stock pic of the green (don't need to log into fb)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hip-Baby-Gear/121555624585

roseyloxs
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
If you scroll down, there's a non stock pic of the green (don't need to log into fb)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hip-Baby-Gear/121555624585

ooh.. that green looks pretty. I like it.

Multimama
08-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Totally excited about the green. Yay for not minty! Thanks for the pic, LegalEagle. (And thanks to Rick from HipBabyGear too. :))

moll73
08-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Totally excited about the green. Yay for not minty! Thanks for the pic, LegalEagle. (And thanks to Rick from HipBabyGear too. :))

Yes, thank you! I'm so much more excited about the green now too (which is the one I wanted) and that site looks great too. BabyGuyNYC (https://www.facebook.com/TheBabyGuyNYC) had some feedback and answered questions on it today too.:bighand:

saradelphina
08-07-2012, 09:52 AM
So, after a long weekend with the Versa, here's what I can tell you...

I don't regret my purchase one little bit. :)

I did really like the Cruz. The sunshade, the look (we had the Tyler, it's a beautiful blue), the height (I like having our daughter up close to us) the mesh peek-a-boo window, the GIANT basket in which I could fit a week's worth of groceries --

all of it.

but...

I hated the fold. Hated it.

My daughter strongly prefers to be forward facing. When I'm out and about, it was a PITA to have to keep reversing the seat in order to fold the stroller. I know, I know, first world problems, but do it a half dozen times in a day and it gets to be aggravating. Plus, the fold is just ugly. It's bulky and cumbersome. I drive a crossover, and it was difficult to fit the stroller plus groceries back there.

I also found the Cruz to be not-so-hot in terms of suspension. My husband REALLY disliked the suspension, finding it creaky and, in his words, "cheap for the price." The Cruz was also difficult to push on grass/gravel. Now, I realize it's not really meant for that, but I did have to push it on both grass/gravel for a short distance in order to get to our local splash pad.

The Versa has much better suspension, it's a little bouncy even, but not in a bad way. The wheels are a vast improvement over the Cruz, especially on grass/gravel. But even walking around the mall -- it just FEELS better.

My daughter also looks way more comfy in the Versa. She's 14 months old, but only 18 lbs, and she always listed to the side in the Cruz (I never bought the infant insert, I didn't even know it existed until a month ago).

The Versa doesn't sit quite as upright as the Cruz, but that's neither here nor there to us.

So, overall:

Cruz wins:

- seat is higher up than the Versa
- like the looks a little better, it's stylish
- bigger basket
- lighter
- mesh peek-a-boo window
- telescoping handle
- includes bug net and rain shield
- SPF sun canopy

Versa wins:

- daughter appears better suited to seat (she's small)
- basket is a bit smaller, but more accessible than the Cruz - can still fit a week's worth of groceries!
- WAY better suspension and wheels
- better push
- hand brake rocks :)
- slightly less $
- canopy has excellent coverage
- large pocket on seat back
- can fold one-handed AND stow in car whilst holding toddler :)
- the simplicity of the fold, can fold in either direction
- significantly smaller footprint
- overall better fit and finish

I tried both the BJ and Britax parent console out on the Versa, and I strongly preferred the Britax. It's also less expensive. It fits the Versa perfectly. Great parent console. :)

Overall, there are features I really liked about the Cruz, but I'm much happier with the Versa, and I don't regret selling the Cruz. :)

saradelphina
08-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Oh, and the green (which I've seen in person) was surprisingly my favourite colour (we purchased the red, my husband won the coin toss). It's a shade deeper than minty green, is the best way I can describe it. Still wish BJ would have made a purple Versa. :)

rolypoly27
08-07-2012, 01:49 PM
So, we're keeping the Cruz. I was excited to find that the bumper bar is out now---brought one home and the kiddo adores it, so that was a win! (Also fixed one annoying thing about the Cruz, since I can now easily flip the direction of the seat with one hand while holding the baby in the other, which made me nuts before.) If I were buying new and didn't need the lighter weight, though, I think I'd probably prefer the Versa for the awesome fold.

(Sorry this is OT)

Where did you find the bumper bar? Is it useful for anything besides the one-handed seat flipping? I'd like to get it for DD if she will like it.

saradelphina
08-07-2012, 02:15 PM
I posted another reply this morning, listing likes/dislikes about both the Cruz and Versa, but it's now showing up?

Multimama
08-07-2012, 02:18 PM
I posted another reply this morning, listing likes/dislikes about both the Cruz and Versa, but it's now showing up?

Since you're new maybe it needs to be approved by a moderator? Hopefully it will show up soon.

teo
08-07-2012, 02:22 PM
(Sorry this is OT)

Where did you find the bumper bar? Is it useful for anything besides the one-handed seat flipping? I'd like to get it for DD if she will like it.

Our local indie baby store had just gotten them in; I think you can also order them online now from places like Peppy Parents. Our nine-month-old really likes the bumper bar so far (for all two rides he's had with it--may still be the novelty!) He grabs it, pulls up and peers out, and then giggles hysterically. Not sure I totally understand the appeal, but hey... :) I got it mainly so he could hold onto it and be totally upright (flipping the seat was just a bonus), but I think it will also be handy for clipping on toys and cups and such. (I don't plan to get the snack tray.) It looks (and, I think, operates?) just like the Vista bumper bar, if you want to check that out first. They did a nice job retrofitting it to fit the stroller, though I'm still irked that it wasn't just included to begin with, given the price of the stroller. *sigh*

Multimama
08-07-2012, 02:29 PM
They did a nice job retrofitting it to fit the stroller, though I'm still irked that it wasn't just included to begin with, given the price of the stroller. *sigh*

Yeah, this is something I'd add to the cons list for the Versa too. You have to buy all the accessories separately and they sure do add up. I think I saw the rain cover costs almost $40. That's pretty silly when you already paid $450 for the stroller.

rolypoly27
08-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Our local indie baby store had just gotten them in; I think you can also order them online now from places like Peppy Parents. Our nine-month-old really likes the bumper bar so far (for all two rides he's had with it--may still be the novelty!) He grabs it, pulls up and peers out, and then giggles hysterically. Not sure I totally understand the appeal, but hey... :) I got it mainly so he could hold onto it and be totally upright (flipping the seat was just a bonus), but I think it will also be handy for clipping on toys and cups and such. (I don't plan to get the snack tray.) It looks (and, I think, operates?) just like the Vista bumper bar, if you want to check that out first. They did a nice job retrofitting it to fit the stroller, though I'm still irked that it wasn't just included to begin with, given the price of the stroller. *sigh*

I know, right? I wish they had just included it with the stroller. Thanks for the feedback. I think I will wait for it to be available on Amazon or go on sale somewhere before I decide.

moll73
08-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Yeah, this is something I'd add to the cons list for the Versa too. You have to buy all the accessories separately and they sure do add up. I think I saw the rain cover costs almost $40. That's pretty silly when you already paid $450 for the stroller.

Yeah, not only separately, but for each style too. So we have accessories for a Mini, GT, and maybe a Versa. Too bad they are not more universal.

saradelphina
08-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Trying this again since my post from this AM didn't show up.

After a long weekend of use, here are my thoughts on the Cruz (which we owned for 5 months and sold this weekend) and the Versa (purchased last Thursday).

Where the Cruz wins:

- Seat is up higher
- Basket is bigger
- SPF sun canopy
- Telescoping handle
- Gorgeous colour (we had Tyler)
- Mesh peek-a-boo window
- Overall style
- Includes bug net and rainshield

Where the Versa wins:

- Push is significantly better
- Suspension is significantly better
- Wheels are significantly better
- Hand brake is awesome
- Basket is more accessible, even though it's somewhat smaller
- Seat back pocket (large)
- Canopy extends farther down for better overall coverage
- My daughter (14 months and a scant 18 lbs, but tall) appears way more comfortable in the Versa seat than in the Cruz, where she listed to one side or the other
- Much easier to get it up over curbs, handles short distances on gravel and grass much better than the Cruz did
- My husband thought the Cruz felt "cheap" for the price -- doesn't think this with the Versa - we also own a G-Luxe and my husband loves this stroller, so...
- Better overall fit and feel
- Significantly smaller footprint, takes up less trunk space
- The fold is super-easy, can do it one handed whilst holding a toddler AND lift it into the trunk with her in one arm, too
- Cannot overstate the benefit (for us) of a parent-facing fold!

Overall, I'm happy we sold the Cruz and bought what we really wanted, which was the Versa.

Incidentally, I tried both the BJ and Britax parent consoles on the Versa. The Britax won, hands down. It's also cheaper. Works very well on the Versa.

Multimama
08-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah, not only separately, but for each style too. So we have accessories for a Mini, GT, and maybe a Versa. Too bad they are not more universal.

I thought the Mini and GT at least used the same accessories? I know that the BJCE and Mini use some of the same accessories. And I think maybe the Select and Versa can use some of the same accessories?

It is kind of crazy though.

teo
08-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Trying this again since my post from this AM didn't show up.

<snip>

Your original post finally popped up on the last page, too---thanks for the feedback! (And now I totally want to try pushing the Versa outside to compare it, too--I'm going to have to convince a friend to get one... :)

Your list does make me realize that our Cruz experience is very colored by the fact that we don't ever fold our stroller, too. I think we've folded it three times in the 8+ months we've owned it--once when there wasn't room for it to come inside a class, and the other two times to take it on a trip (so that's the one time it was inside a car, which wasn't even ours, so I still don't know if it fits in our tiny trunk!) I think if I folded it regularly, that would sway me strongly towards the Versa. For us, the fold is just a cool feature to me--but not something that I'd use more than a few times a year, so that's completely different from a situation where you might need to fold it daily.

moll73
08-07-2012, 05:47 PM
I thought the Mini and GT at least used the same accessories? I know that the BJCE and Mini use some of the same accessories. And I think maybe the Select and Versa can use some of the same accessories?

Nope, but actually now that you say that, maybe they do and for us it's b/c the Mini is a single and the GT is a double, that they can't. We did get a bassinet and I think it will fit on both, but I haven't tried it yet.

PeppyParents
08-07-2012, 09:17 PM

Hi,

Mini and Mini GT use all the same accessories. City Elite uses same ones as Mini, except for rain cover.

City Select and Versa only share the new "multi-model" infant car seat adapter for these two strollers.

Then, City Select and Versa have their own respective bassinet, snack tray, bumper bar, rain cover.

Baby Jogger's handlebar console fit all of the above.

HTH!