PDA

View Full Version : PT advice needed...

BabbyO
08-03-2012, 11:51 PM
DS is 3 yo and decided on Saturday that he was going to wear underwear. He did great Saturday after two accidents early on. We went to the zoo and he didn't have an accident at all, including the ride there and back.

Sunday was a bit rocky, but I'm 99% sure he had to poop.

Monday he had 1 accident, then didn't have another accident until today (Friday). Today he had 3 accidents. DCP told me that he'd been tooting all day.

I think that he's having trouble with pooping on the potty and that is leading to pee accidents, too.

Any advice for how we can get him comfortable with pooping on the potty? I think it is hindering him and I can see that he's frustrated with it, too. I'd love any advice from all the wise mama's & papa's here!

123LuckyMom
08-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Yup, this is a problem. My DS only had accidents when he was concerned about pooping. He was having hard and painful poops. We tried adapting his diet but ultimately put him on Miralax. It was a miracle! He didn't have an accident again until this week. Unfortunately I thought the Miralax was making his poop too soft and skipped a couple of days. He had one hard poop, and now he's actively trying not to poop. He's had a few accidents as a result.

My advice would be to try Miralax. DS also loved the "Once Upon A Potty" DVD for boys. It's old, and I found it completely uninspiring, but it was recommended to me as being really helpful, and it was. DS loves it, and when he started having accidents this week he asked to watch it again. I ordered the DVD from Amazon. DS also liked the Elmo potty DVD. Maybe you could also try the book _Everybody Poops_. It's worth a shot! Good luck!

BabbyO
08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Yup, this is a problem. My DS only had accidents when he was concerned about pooping. He was having hard and painful poops. We tried adapting his diet but ultimately put him on Miralax. It was a miracle! He didn't have an accident again until this week. Unfortunately I thought the Miralax was making his poop too soft and skipped a couple of days. He had one hard poop, and now he's actively trying not to poop. He's had a few accidents as a result.

My advice would be to try Miralax. DS also loved the "Once Upon A Potty" DVD for boys. It's old, and I found it completely uninspiring, but it was recommended to me as being really helpful, and it was. DS loves it, and when he started having accidents this week he asked to watch it again. I ordered the DVD from Amazon. DS also liked the Elmo potty DVD. Maybe you could also try the book _Everybody Poops_. It's worth a shot! Good luck!

DS has been on Miralax for over a year...I forgot to mention that. I think we've got his dose pretty nailed down. He has days where it is a bit harder (I think it is dependent on what he's eating to compliment the miralax) but for the most part we've got a softer consistancy.

He is clearly holding his poop for a couple days. He's a pretty consistant, once a day about 5 pm kind of pooper. Last week I think he has 3 or 4 poop accidents on Wed, then nothing until Friday. He had 3 wet accidents, but DCP said he'd been "tooting" all day. Sat AM he had 2 poop accidents, then did ok until Sat evening when he had a 3rd poop accident. He did fine all day yesterday, but didn't poop yesterday, so I expect today or tomorrow he'll have several accidents.

We have a friend who is going to lend us Everybody Poops.

123LuckyMom
08-06-2012, 04:34 PM
All I can suggest is to set him up for some success. Get him on that potty every two hours, or every hour, or whenever you can, and read him books, sing songs, whatever! Talk to him (when he's sitting on the potty) about what he thinks is going on. Make up a song with him (while he's sitting on the potty) that you'll sing together when he poops in the potty and then talk about how you can't wait to get to sing it. Tell him you know he can do it. Remind him he's done it many times before, and he's GREAT at pooping in the potty and not having accidents. Make a huge big deal every time he has a tiny success, even if it's just a little pee. I just did this all with DS. He finally did poop in the potty again, and all is well. It only took one success, and he was back on track (except for the one totally disgusting diarrhea accident he had because I upped his Miralax, so don't do that!) but it took quite a bit of work to get to that success! Good luck!!!

BabbyO
08-06-2012, 04:55 PM
All I can suggest is to set him up for some success. Get him on that potty every two hours, or every hour, or whenever you can, and read him books, sing songs, whatever! Talk to him (when he's sitting on the potty) about what he thinks is going on. Make up a song with him (while he's sitting on the potty) that you'll sing together when he poops in the potty and then talk about how you can't wait to get to sing it. Tell him you know he can do it. Remind him he's done it many times before, and he's GREAT at pooping in the potty and not having accidents. Make a huge big deal every time he has a tiny success, even if it's just a little pee. I just did this all with DS. He finally did poop in the potty again, and all is well. It only took one success, and he was back on track (except for the one totally disgusting diarrhea accident he had because I upped his Miralax, so don't do that!) but it took quite a bit of work to get to that success! Good luck!!!

Thanks for the advice. We're taking him every hour unless he doesn't go. Then we go every 1/2 hour until he goes. At least that is what we do at home. At DC I believe they take them every hour. He is sneaky and will go to "his corner" right after peeing sometimes to poop. I've caught him twice...but we've still had accidents. When I've caught him, I've put him on the potty so he can finish up...its only worked once. All of the other times he's sat and sat and sat...only to poop in his undies shortly after he gets off the potty. At least we know we're on the right track.

We do high fives (he thinks this is really cool) and celebrate every time he goes.

I definitely don't want to up the miralax...I think I remember you (or someone else) mentioning the accident because of too much miralax! ;)