PDA

View Full Version : How to get cigarette smell out?

gatorsmom
08-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Anyone have any suggestions how to get the smell of cigarettes out of an apartment? We own a duplex and about a year ago a tenant moved out who used who smoke. We painted all the walls and ceilings, ripped out the carpet and padding and replaced it with new carpet, washed down the cabinets, and wiped down the radiators and have heard complaints that it still smells like cigarette smoke. I don't think the other tenants in the building smoke because they have a child with asthma and the times I've visited their apartment i didn't smell like smoke.

Any suggestions?

elizabethkott
08-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Ugg - gross!
Isn't there a type of paint that is specially made to get rid of cig smoke?

gatorsmom
08-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Ugg - gross!
Isn't there a type of paint that is specially made to get rid of cig smoke?

I'm not sure. We've never had this problem before. Usually a fresh cot of paint everywhere does the trick. We repainted as soon as the smoker moved out. At first it smelled fine. When you walked into the apartment it simply smelled like fresh paint with a little whiff of cigarette. So then we had all the ceilings painted thinking that would take care of the slight lingering smell of cigarettes. We are now 9 months out and I don't smell fresh paint anymore, just cigarettes.

KLD313
08-04-2012, 01:18 PM
I used a portable uv light with a fan. It's pricey though but wow does it work.

MamaKath
08-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Have you changed all the filters in any vents or fans? Also we needed to paint, pull up carpet, change light fixtures (and clean any we weren't changing), and bulbs. Think that was it. The bulbs smelt like smoke and it was worse when they would heat up.

gatorsmom
08-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Have you changed all the filters in any vents or fans? Also we needed to paint, pull up carpet, change light fixtures (and clean any we weren't changing), and bulbs. Think that was it. The bulbs smelt like smoke and it was worse when they would heat up.

I hadn't even thought about the light bulbs! But that is a very good point. We could also change/clean the bathroom and kitchen fans. Another great point. Thanks!

MontrealMum
08-04-2012, 02:42 PM
We did everything that you did as well and our house also still smelled of cigarette smoke. Febreeze did nothing but made me sneeze and add chemicals to the odor. Someone told me that coffee grounds will absorb smells so I put out a bunch here and there in bowls and lo and behold, it did the trick!

gatorsmom
08-04-2012, 02:53 PM
We did everything that you did as well and our house also still smelled of cigarette smoke. Febreeze did nothing but made me sneeze and add chemicals to the odor. Someone told me that coffee grounds will absorb smells so I put out a bunch here and there in bowls and lo and behold, it did the trick!

Oh, thank you for the suggestion. Thst is an easy fix. I'm totally going to try that!

strollerqueen
08-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Dumb Q, but, wet or dry?

fivi2
08-04-2012, 03:46 PM
We had wooden bunk beds from ils, and had to put a coat of shellac over them. I think any exposed surface, especially wood, fabric, drywall incl. ceiling, etc just absorbs it. It is awful. Good luck!

DietCokeLover
08-04-2012, 05:19 PM
We frequently have to clean motel rooms that have been smoked in. We bought a $90 air purifier and run it for a day or two and it really helps (after washing everything, deodorizing mattresses, wiping down the walls, cleaning carpet, etc).

I'm going to remember the coffee idea too!

rin
08-04-2012, 05:49 PM
For really strong odors (like cat pee), a coat or two of oil-based Kilz paint primer will seal the odors in. We just had a tenant move out who had allowed her two cats to pee all over the apartment, and we had to paint everything (walls & subfloor) with Kilz, then repaint & recarpet. If you've already repainted & recarpeted you might not want to have to go back and put down primer & new paint, of course, but if you can't get the smell out in any other way . . .

MontrealMum
08-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Dumb Q, but, wet or dry?

Dry :) /////////////////

strollerqueen
08-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Dry :) /////////////////
Thank you! :kisscheek: It's such a handy tip!