PDA

View Full Version : Which summer Olypmic sport would you like to compete in?

TwinFoxes
08-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Regardless of your actual ability, if you could compete, what sport would you choose? I am not a huge gymnastics fan, but the uneven bars look so fun! When Gabby was spinning around I actually said "wheee!" I'd also love to be able to swim as well as the swim team. I'm a horrible swimmer, despite growing up spending a lot of time in the ocean...there's lots of splashing and little forward movement when I swim.

Elektra, if you answer you can't pick softball. ;)

Kindra178
08-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Diving. We were watching last night and it was awesome.

KpbS
08-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Swimming--I love it the best. :heartbeat:

SnuggleBuggles
08-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Swimming

wencit
08-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Without a doubt, gymnastics.

BDKmom
08-04-2012, 11:34 PM
The big, jumpy trampoline thing. That looks like so much fun!

crl
08-04-2012, 11:44 PM
In this alternate universe, do I also get to be unafraid? Because if so, I'd like to do the diving. But in real life, I'd be TERRIFIED.

Catherine

DietCokeLover
08-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Gymnastics! But, until last night, I had never seen the trampoline before, so that has to be a close second now.

mom3boys
08-05-2012, 12:48 AM
I always said I should train for the most obscure Olympic sport because how many people in the world would actually be doing it--I'd be more likely to win a medal. Like, in winter I figure luge or curling because, who even does that (probably curling, luge looks scary, curling only looks boring).

For summer, maybe something like archery. Seems like it would be less intense training than all those super-muscular athletes, you could probably compete in several olympics (vs. gymnastics usually only get one chance) and unlike the gymnasts and the track and field athletes, there's a good chance you aren't so fit and devoid of body fat your breasts go away (or never develop) . The only negative is no TV coverage.

queenmama
08-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Beach volleyball! I've always loved playing and it wouldn't make my body weird from training. :rolleyes:

elektra
08-05-2012, 01:05 AM
Regardless of your actual ability, if you could compete, what sport would you choose? I am not a huge gymnastics fan, but the uneven bars look so fun! When Gabby was spinning around I actually said "wheee!" I'd also love to be able to swim as well as the swim team. I'm a horrible swimmer, despite growing up spending a lot of time in the ocean...there's lots of splashing and little forward movement when I swim.

Elektra, if you answer you can't pick softball. ;)

;)

Swimming seems like it would be a great sport to compete in. Even though it is basically an individual sport, they seem to have a team feeling and it seems like it would be fun to be on a coed team. It is not a judged sport which is a plus too. You also have the potential to succeed in several events and get multiple medals. And it doesn't come down to just a single try like you get in a gymnastics routine. There are prelims and many chances even within a race. to make up for mistakes it seems like.

If not swimming, then gymnastics. It's one of the biggest Olympic sports and there is obviously tons of pressure, as many of us have discussed here from various view points. But can you imagine being able to actually succeed and pull it all off under that pressure? I imagine that it is one of the hugest rushes ever. and yes, it does look fun to fly around on the bars and flip around on the floor.

alien_host
08-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Team handball ;)

I've always wanted to be in the Olympics and wish I could compete in some "obsure" event so I could win a medal :hysterical:. If it were winter, I'd say curling.

I'd love to do Gymnastics, but as others have said too much pressure. Swimming is a possibilty too as they do seem to have fun.

infomama
08-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Equestrian...specifically Show jumping. This was my childhood dream!

dcmom2b3
08-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Equestrian, hands down! Specifically dressage and eventing.

egoldber
08-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Equestrian and swimming.

brittone2
08-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Equestrian, hands down! Specifically dressage and eventing.
:yeahthat: I grew up riding and showing horses, and still love to attend at least 1-2 per year. I live an area where we get some really talented riders attending big shows.

I miss it, and would love to get back to it in a few years.

My ex SIL was very involved on the eventing and dressage circuits at a very high level and knows many of the big names personally.

Smillow
08-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Diving!

wendibird22
08-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Soccer. I think it's a great "tough chick" kind of sport.

Or pole vault only because I have a fascination with the physics of flinging one's body that high up in the air using a really big stick.

StantonHyde
08-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Eventing--I used to take riding lessons from Karen o'conner's MIL. Triathalon-I hope to do my first Olympic distance race in a few years.

Fencing looks cool. kayaking, cycling, rowing.

trcy
08-05-2012, 02:02 PM
:yeahthat:

american_mama
08-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Before reading the answers, I was thinking maybe synchronized swimming. I think they get lovely bodies out of it, the sport combines artistry with athletic and endurance skills, and you could benefit/show off some of your abilities for decades in ordinary life. I'm assuming you are a pretty good swimmer to be at that level, and I know you have tremendous lung power.

After reading the thread, I am reminded of pole vault as a second choice. DH is a track and field fan, and we were watching it for a while yesterday. It takes a lot of guts, technique, but when you get it right, so fun and so impressive to have gotten over such a high threshold with nothing but your body and a pole. I also think the women look really cool in it, like tough, fit, cool adult women.

Surprised no one has said sprinting. I think to be the world's fastest woman would be an awesome feeling, and you can often get more than one Olympics and/or event out of the sport.

elliput
08-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Modern Pentathlon. Aren't these the skills you need to be an MI6 agent?

lizzywednesday
08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Swimming.

My family never had the money to let me swim year-round, but I really enjoyed my summers on the swim team and I knew someone who was on the Junior Olympics track until she injured her shoulder.

In all honesty, if I never competed again it would be OK, but I'd like to work on my flip-turns in the future anyway - it's nice to be able to smoothly transition from lap-to-lap without an awkward touch-turn.

And, of course, I'd love to re-focus on my butterfly technique!

Lastly, having done uneven parallel bars in my one season at a "real" gym when I was 6, I can honestly say that it's A LOT of fun to swing on those bars. Looking back, it was the biggest reason I wished I'd started serious gymnastics earlier in my life and the hardest part of my classes to leave behind.

roseyloxs
08-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Team handball ;)

I've always wanted to be in the Olympics and wish I could compete in some "obsure" event so I could win a medal :hysterical:. If it were winter, I'd say curling.

:yeahthat: I don't think handball is as obscure outside of the US. I actually played it at Notre Dame in my freshman PE class. It is a lot of fun so that's the sport I would choose. I also prefer team sports to individual ones.

Curling seems like a fun choice too. My brothers have actually joined a curling club outside Chicago. They were pretty excited when my parents got them new brooms for Xmas.

BabyBearsMom
08-06-2012, 09:45 AM

:yeahthat: I rode horses as a kid and loved it until I had to have knee surgery and stop. But the trampoline looks really fun too!

trales
08-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Modern Pentathalon
Archery
or
Tennis

arivecchi
08-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Swimming since that was my old sport and I loved it. I cannot even comprehend how they are so fast!

Second choice - beach volleyball. Seems like a lot of fun!

MontrealMum
08-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Swimming.

Although all that flying around in gymnastics looks like tons of fun...it's also kind of scary.

codex57
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
I like the idea of competing in multiple Olympics, so I'd pick archery too. One of the shooting events anyways.

However, I'd also love to be a track and field athlete. Some kind of sprint. 100, 200, or maybe even 400m.

MamaSnoo
08-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Probably a target shooting event or beach volleyball.

I am not sure how those 2 fit together. :ROTFLMAO:

jess_g
08-07-2012, 10:42 AM
I have not read all the replies, but I would love to play tennis n the grass courts at Wimbledon. What a great place to have the tennis competition. I would also love to play ping pong. I did not know that was even an olympic sport till we saw it on tv.

Jenn

MontrealMum
08-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Curling seems like a fun choice too. My brothers have actually joined a curling club outside Chicago. They were pretty excited when my parents got them new brooms for Xmas.

Curling is incredibly popular here in Canada. My DH used to do it when he was young and my FIL belongs to the oldest curling club in the country. He's in his 80's and he's still doing it.

bisous
08-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Gosh, so many. Swimming was my high school sport. I did competitive gymnastics as a kid (but quit before age 11 because let's face it I wasn't going to be an olympian and I wanted my time back, lol). I have no experience with equestrian but would love to be awesome at that. Modern Pentathlon--love the comment about MI6, lol.

LOVE the Olympics! :)