PDA

View Full Version : Crib sheets/mattress pad on thicker mattress

SoCalMommy
08-05-2012, 05:11 PM
DD is 20 months and still sleeps in her crib (Baby Mod Olivia). When we bought the crib, the manufacturer included one of their mattresses at no extra cost. It is very firm and met all of the safety requirements so we kept it. Although it is technically a standard size, the fitted sheets and mattress pads are difficult to get on. I think this is because the mattress seems to be slightly thicker than most. We have noticed that the corners of the mattress have started to compress a tad as a result. Since there isn't a safety or comfort issue (DD sleeps well in it), and we will probably convert the crib into a toddler bed within the next year or so, I really don't want to buy a new mattress.

Now that the sheets and pads have been washed a bunch over the last 1 1/2 years, I wonder if they have shrunk. Has anyone experienced this? I always wash them cold and low dryer but with the slight thicker mattress, I am starting to dread changing them since it becomes a challenge to fit well. We also have an Ultimate Crib Sheet which is awesome for when she has diaper leaks, but she still needs sheets.

One more thing, the mattress has a waterproof material on top, so I don't think we need the mattress pad. This might help since the mattress pad elastic has started to tear in the corners. I only added one for comfort. For those that have a waterproof or repellant crib mattress, do you use a mattress pad?

I am thinking it might be time to buy more sheets. Have you noticed your fitted sheets have shrunk? Anyone with a Baby Mod mattress or one that seems thicker know if they make fitted sheets that would accommodate the thicker height? Brand recommendations would be welcome. :)

lizzywednesday
08-06-2012, 09:18 AM
I actually use the mattress pad because I can wash it if it gets peed on, but it's harder to wash a mattress. (And if the pee sits, it'll sink in and stink.)

I also think that there is a HUGE variation in crib-sheet sizes, which can impact the way they fit on different mattresses.

And not all of them allow for a lot of shrinkage, especially considering the fact that they're bedding - I wash bedding on warm or hot, especially baby bedding, because it's been slept/sweated/peed/maybe even pooped on.

The only sheets I've found that seemed to be too big were the flannel sheets I bought when DD freaked out about the cold cotton sheets against her skin (Tadpoles brand; they are organic cotton and very thick - LOVE these sheets!) and her BabyGap ones, which, sadly, they no longer make.