PDA

View Full Version : 1st night, no paci - UPDATE in post #16

Giantbear
08-05-2012, 10:11 PM
So, tonight at grandma;s, we had a paci party. We presented dd with two big girl gifts, her own make up bag (after watching mommy put on make up, is really into pretending) and colored pencils, watched elmo sing with Gordon, and then threw the paci's in grandma's garbage pail. We then had an ice cream cake that said Bye Bye Paci with a picture of a paci on it.

On the way home from grandma's, she asked for her paci a bunch, then told us it went bye bye, but at bed time, lots of tears, refusal to let me touch her as she sat on my lap in the glider, and then her telling me she cant do it, to which i told her she is my big brave girl and she can do anything and that daddy will be there as long as she needs me. But, after 35 minutes, she is asleep, for now.

DD can use some good thoughts tonight.

UPDATE - well, good news bad news, made it through the night, no wake ups, but some one is not happy with me. On the way to daycare, she asked about her paci, then told me it was bye bye, that she threw it out at grandma's. Tonight will be a big test, between daycare and bed time.

Pinky
08-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Our DD's are very close in age and we need to follow your lead! Will be thinking about you guys... hope it is successful!

DD only has hers when she is in bed or on long drives, but I know we need to ditch it! I think we are as attached as she is.

Good luck!

oneontheway
08-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Sending positive thoughts!!!!

ourbabygirl
08-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Mojo, mojo, mojo! Hope the pacifairy sprinkles your DD with lots of sleepy fairy dust! :)

We need to ditch the paci with our son, too (he's almost 2)... I'm dreading it, though, as both of my kids have been super attached to their pacis!

candaceb
08-05-2012, 11:10 PM
We are on a binky reduction plan - down to 2 only in the crib from 6 all day long - hoping to ditch it next week for good. So I wish you fortitude and luck!

DietCokeLover
08-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Aww, hoping that sweet girl has brave dreams all night long.

MamaMolly
08-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Good job, daddy! Hang tight, she'll be fine.

The best post-paci advice I got was to remember that it was something that helped Lula cope and calm down, much like a cigarette to a smoker. And like a smoker who stops smoking, she'll need to learn another coping and calming technique. So be extra patient with her if she's a little irritable over the next week or so.

Lula was a binky-aholic. I remember when we moved about a year after she was done with binkies and she discovered an old one shoved under way back of the living room sofa. It was so gross but she dove for it and shoved that crusty hairy thing in her mouth so fast! :ROTFLMAO: Nasty!

waitingforgrace
08-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Hope the night went well. Please update us how things go, we need to lose it here too. Feels like we watch Elmo's bye bye paci episode every other day.

BabyBearsMom
08-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Good luck! When we took DD1's paci (around 18 months) we had 3 really hard nights. Nothing is worse than her saying "Please, mommy, DD1 need bo-bo!" But after 3 nights, it was done and all was well with the world. Wishing you a speedy couple of nights.

twowhat?
08-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Wow - honestly it sounds like that went super smoothly! I bet she'll adjust quickly.

We had a thumbsucker...I had to paint her thumb with that nasty-tasting stuff. She cried at bedtime/naptimes and upon waking, but once asleep would stay asleep until it was time to wake up. It took a couple of weeks for her to stop crying, and FWIW, she also replaced her thumb with another security object (blanket) so you might consider trying to get your DD attached to something else (replaceable!) if you think that would help her.

Good luck!

LMPC
08-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Sending paci mojo your way!!!

mackmama
08-06-2012, 11:07 AM
You are so patient and loving with your sweet DD. I love the paci party idea - and I hope her night went ok.

almostmom
08-06-2012, 12:15 PM
I remember those days! We took the paci away from DS when he was 18 months (had only been using it to sleep, and sometimes in the car) by cutting off the tip. He threw it on the ground because it didn't have the same sensation. But he wanted one pretty badly! He was like a drug addict in his bed, crawling around from one corner to the other not knowing what to do with himself. I almost gave in, but DH made me stay strong. I'm so glad I did, but it was probably a month before I felt like things were totally back to normal. Hang in there - you're doing the right thing!

karstmama
08-06-2012, 01:44 PM
sounding good! when i made ds's paci hit the road, he had three nights that he took 10-15 min longer of rocking & soothing to get to the sleepy point, and never looked back. i was so worried, but the actual doing of it was almost nothing compared to the worrying about it.

alexsmommy
08-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Three boys...three paci addicts... three nights of crying per kids. Done.

If tonight isn't as smooth, be strong. It's rough but brief and they are all just fine post-paci.
We weaned at the same age.

Giantbear
08-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Today went great, right up until bed time. We turned out the lights

DD "where's my paci"
me "we threw it out at grandma's"
DD "I wish i didn't, i can't do this (she gets that statement from hearing my wife say it)
Me "you are a brave big little girl, you can do anything"
DD "I not so brave"
Me "yes you are, you did it last night"
DD couple of crys
Me "do you want to say good night to the turtle (I have a turtle on my shirt)
DD "night turtle ...... ok, i want to go to bed"

Ten minutes later we here her singing "you are my sunshine" in bed and she is asleep.

But she definitely is not herself, she is morning in her own way ..... or its just the cold she has

mackmama
08-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Aww that's just so poignant. I love watching the process of these little ones. They amaze and humble me with their honesty, vulnerability, and trust.