PDA

View Full Version : Nap time is a misery for almost 11 month old

fedoragirl
08-06-2012, 10:04 AM
DS has always slept very well at night. He is still clocking in 10-11 hours without waking up. Naps are a different story. I put him in a stroller for the shorter morning nap and walk around the house. He doesn't sleep for more than 20 min. if we go outside. This is easy. It takes him 5 min. to fall asleep and he sleeps an hour.
His afternoon nap coincides with DD's nap. He used to cosleep with me but I wanted to enforce crib time for naps so I could get some meal prep done during that time. When we coslept, I couldn't move away because he'd either wake up or roll out of the bed.
It's been 6 days now when I have put him in his crib after nursing, and he wakes up after 20 min. and cries the entire nap time even when I am kneeling next to his crib rubbing his back. His starts to push my hands away and screams louder. I know he's mad but I just can't cosleep anymore. He also keeps DD awake. I really don't know what else I can do. I have stayed with him during the entire nap--he got mad. I left, and came back to check on him every 10 min. a la Ferber but he didn't stop screaming. I have even laid down next to his crib and that didn't help either.
I have done the quick pick up and put down--no avail.
I haven't gotten anything done, DD is awake and screaming at the top of her lungs, and I am just tired.
Any advice?

indigo99
08-06-2012, 10:28 AM
No advice, but I hope you find a solution. I can't. DS2 is the same way. He refuses to take a nap until he's falling down tired, and I have to nurse and cosleep to get him to nap at all. We did Ferberize him for night sleeping, but I decided that a 20 minute nap isn't worth 1.5hrs of screaming. He's obviously capable of napping on his own, but he's learned that he naps with me so I don't know how to fix that.

If you can get him to sleep in the stroller then I'd just stick with that long enough so that he'll hopefully forget about sleeping with you at all. Once that happens, maybe it'll be easier to transition him to the crib. I know there've been threads about it before with varying opinions, but I wouldn't have a problem pushing DS2 around outside our house while DS naps inside.

jjordan
08-06-2012, 11:24 AM
If it were me, I'd probably try Ferber for a solid week and see if things improve. Use a timer for yourself, increasing the increments up from 10 minutes to 15 and 20. For your dd, in the mean time, put her as far away from him as possible, shut as many doors between them, and use white noise and/or music to drown out his screaming so she can nap.

I feel for you. I HATE HATE HATE it when kids are tired and won't nap. :( It makes the rest of life seem so much harder.

fedoragirl
08-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Thank you. I'll try one more day, and then try the stroller.