PDA

View Full Version : Help me like my butcherblock counters?

sophiesmom03
08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Our "new" house (built in 1758) has a kitchen that was built on in the 1970's. The cabinets are nice-quality wood, painted, and they are solid. The counters are butcherblock but it's been a long time since it has been cared for.

Meaning - it has some dark spots and rings on it where people have obviously placed wet glasses etc. over the years. There are a few knife marks (I don't cut on it but others obviously have). Around the (drop in) SS sink there is a ring of dark discoloration where it has probably been wet/damp for the better part of 30 years.

It does not smell, and the wood is not hard, though in some spots the strips that make up the "block" are separating slightly. Cleaning with non-chlorine bleach does not take out the marks. I generally wipe it with white vinegar/water or a diluted Mrs. Meyers spray.

I just feel like it will never look clean. And if I can get it clean, how can I seal it or protect it so it doesn't get like this again?

Help? I know many people love their butcherblock but I miss my old house's granite and dream about putting soapstone in here....

Thanks!!!

Smillow
08-06-2012, 12:05 PM
You can clean it with a dilute chlorine bleach solution or use a cut lemon and kosher salt. You can also oil them with mineral oil to help make them easier to clean in the future. I would get a block scraper or one of those nylon Pampered chef scrapers to clean as well.

roobee
08-06-2012, 02:31 PM
I sanded my butcherblock counter and then sealed it with mineral oil. My counter is only like 3x3. It was quite a bit more work than I thought it would be... hand sanding didn't cut it at all, I had to buy a belt sander.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2