PDA

View Full Version : CX 9 v Highlander v Rav 4

Kindra178
08-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Looking for the safest, smallest three row car that can safely transport three kids on short trips and two kids or so on longer trips. Awd is important. We already have a Sienna so we don't need another big car. We were all set on the Outback because it has a has a huge backseat but booster child could not belt himself. Cx 9 has safety scores I don't love. Thoughts?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

BillK
08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Out of that list - Highlander - but it's not "small". My dad has a 2011 Highlander Limited and it's a heckuva nice vehicle for the money.

codex57
08-06-2012, 12:30 PM
CX-9 is bigger than the Highlander.

It's like the 3 bears in Goldilocks, cept I'm not sure which one is "just right".

Booster kid should be able to belt himself soon. The RAV-4 might be the smallest that will work since you already have a Sienna.

AnnieW625
08-06-2012, 12:41 PM
The Rav 4 is the smallest of the 3. If I were in your shoes I'd probably look at Mazda 5. What about a Honda Accord? You should be able to get 3 across the back row with minimal issues. The new 2013 Ford Fusion (http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusion/2013/) will becoming out in the next couple of months and the Titanium trim package will have an option of AWD.

I like the styling of the CX-9, but I don't think I would buy one, mainly because I have read reports and have first hand knowledge that the mileage isn't great. My DCP had one and she said the mileage was horrible, around the mid to high teens for city driving. She got better mileage with the Volvo XC 70 she replaced it with.

If you can find one used I'd look at the prior generation Highlanders (2007 or older) with low miles, that is much smaller than the 2008 and newer Highlanders.

What about a used Audi A6, BMW 525 or 535 XI (XI is the notification that a BMW has AWD)? I also believe the Lexus RX series has a model that has AWD as well. A BMW X5 might have it as well.

What about trying another brand of booster in the Outback? If you really like the Outback I think I would do this vs. trying to find and be happy with another car even though you know you really want the Outback and will regret buying anything else.

dogmom
08-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Hmmm, Outback is nice, do you think the booster child could learn in 6 months or so? Might not be a big deal in a year.

I love my Rav 4, but I never recommend it to someone with 3 kids, but if it is your "back up car", i.e. to run a couple of kids around or once a week the 3rd kid also I could see how it works. I've had both, I think the Rav works better with a family.

Yes, the others are much bigger. I love the small size of the Rav 4. BTW, are you getting the one with a 3rd row seats? If so you can only get the base models, not the high end ones, but that does keep you on a very affordable price range.

lmintzer
08-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Mazda 5 is nice and small and inexpensive.