PDA

View Full Version : Consignment Shoppers - What random things do you look for?

VClute
08-06-2012, 10:57 PM
A similar thread, years ago, turned me onto Ravensburger puzzles. They're awesome. And I look for them at every consignment sale I go to. What treasures (random or not) do you look for at thrift stores and consignment sales?

c&j04
08-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Waffle blocks.
Saw a huge bag once for a couple bucks. Of course someone else had them by that point.

KpbS
08-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Vintage Sesame Street sheets :)

sntm
08-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Designer clothes :D I scored so much when I lived in NYC including an Armani dress and Tori Burch dress for a fraction of what they cost, and the first still had tags!

VClute
08-07-2012, 10:32 AM
I thought of another thing I look for: A lot of people overlook those bins of socks, etc but I look for smartwool socks for my son and hanna unders for both. I once scored 6 hanna camisoles for a dollar!

Simon
08-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Waffle blocks.
Saw a huge bag once for a couple bucks. Of course someone else had them by that point.

I have made a tidy profit selling waffle blocks via consignment! :hysterical:
My kids never got into them.

I look through the bags too but have never scored much that way

stillplayswithbarbies
08-07-2012, 03:43 PM
American Girl books and clothes. Build a Bear shoes. Legos.

for my older daughter, Gap jeans. I won't shop at Gap due to their parent company's clear cut logging practices in California, but I figure if I buy second-hand I am not contributing to their profits, and their jeans fit my daughter well.

MamaMolly
08-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I love a silly Anchor Hocking pressed glass pattern. It started with a set of jelly jar glasses of my grandma's and now I just look for serving pieces and things I haven't seen before.

I also look for Pyrex with lids, cast iron pots and pans, barbies and Little People items for the girls, etc.

brittone2
08-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Lego

DK Eyewitness books and other DK type nonfiction books

Quality brands of scooters, bikes, etc. in the next size up (DD's Trek came from Salval, which isn't consignment of course, for 20 bucks. At one point DS1 and DD both wanted their first scooters. I wanted a RF with 3 wheels for DD. Walked into a consignment sale and bought one that was like new for 1/4 of the cost, and found a great scooter for DS1 too)

I scored a nice stash of EUC Fuzzibunz for DD at a consignment sale. They were insanely cheap and I think I paid something like 10 bucks for 4 or 5 of them in EUC.

Snow boots and dress shoes that are very, very lightly used. Since those aren't everyday items for most kids, I can often find them in EUC with little wear.

One year I really wanted a FP Loving Family dollhouse for DD and found one right away at a big consignment sale. It was a nice one in EUC with all of the furniture for 30 bucks or so. Perfect, since it was exactly what I wanted. That same sale often had good deals on PM.

AG doll accessories and clothes if I was shopping now. We narrowly missed a huge bag at a yard sale last year. The little girl in front of us brought a huge bag of AG and AG compatible clothes for 10 bucks.

Basically, our strategy is to make a list of everything we anticipate needing in the next 6 months (including holidays, birthdays, etc. for hte kids if I can find something in EUC or NIB) and look for those items first.

We look for a lot of the same items when we hit yard sales and thrift stores. I found 2 nice Bruder trucks (crane truck and a cement truck) for 4 bucks each at Salval a few months ago.