PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of AT&T . . . Data fraud?

lmintzer
08-06-2012, 11:41 PM
I saw the post on AT&Ts unlimited plan and the problems that will be ensuing, and I am now wondering if anyone is dealing with my problem.

I believe I may be being wrongly charged for data for my iPhone. Every month, I get texts that I am over my data limit. I don't feel I use my phone that much in 3G. I use it some outside the house, for sure, but I am wondering if they are falsely charging me for data I haven't used.

Has anyone here had this issue with AT&T? I have heard something about a class action suit against them for this.

SnuggleBuggles
08-06-2012, 11:43 PM
What does your iPhone say you are using?

lmintzer
08-06-2012, 11:46 PM
It keeps saying I am going over my 200MB. I am billed an additional $15 for each 200MB more. This month, they sent me a text that I am almost over twice. On August 2, I was over. On Aug. 4, I received another text that I had used up 75% of my overage allowance. How is that possible? All I do is check e-mail, Facebook, a website or two, when I am out and about.

ahisma
08-07-2012, 12:06 AM
200 MB doesn't go very far.

There's a helpful chart here: http://dvice.com/archives/2010/06/real-world-test.php

ett
08-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Have you checked your data usage online? We had several problems with our phone and going over the data limit. My hotmail was continuously checking for new email, so I set it to check manually. Also, when I was at home and was supposedly on our wi-fi, for some reason, the phone still kept using small amounts of data. If I check my data usage online, I saw that it was using a small amount of data every several minutes continuously. That really adds up. We have an Android phone, and there's an option to not allow data access over the mobile network. I just disable it when I need to use data, and then enable it afterwards. Sort of a pain, but it did solve our problem. If there's that option on your iphone, you could use it to help determine what the problem is.

SnuggleBuggles
08-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Is that what your phone, the device itself, says?

I don't let it push any notifications and I only check mail manually. That helps. I know what apps (Pandora, for example) use a lot of data so I only use if I have wi-fi. Same thing with uploading photos.

I hope you can get an accurate answer about your usage!

GvilleGirl
08-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Are you sure your wifi isn't turned off? I use it a lot when I am out of the house and I can usually get most of the month before getting a warning. Are you sending a lot of pictures and videos?

When I get the 90 or 95% warning I usually turn off my cellular data so I don't go over.

wendibird22
08-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Definitely make sure push notifications is off. If the phone is constantly checking email and facebook for notifications that can eat up data. You can also log into your ATT account online and look at your data usage. It'll show you the date, time, and amount used. That should give you an idea of how much it's using and when.

BillK
08-07-2012, 08:53 AM
200mb is waaaaay low. It's criminal they even expect you to stay below 200mb/mo with an iphone.

o_mom
08-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Make sure you are always on wi-fi at home. I know my wifi at home does not reach certain rooms, so it is constantly switching from wifi to 3G. I have unlimited data (VZW) so I'm not motivated to fix it right now, but if I was metered, I would probably upgrade the router or put a repeater in.