PDA

View Full Version : iPhone - 4s or wait for 5?

Globetrotter
08-07-2012, 12:31 AM
My old phone is not doing well nowadays so I am finally ready to get an iPhone. Do you know what the new features will be? I am guessing we have to wait until the fall?

I am thinking about getting a 4s at that time to save money. Do you think siri technology will be better in version 5? I have heard there are some flaws with siri at the moment.

Eta: I have an android at the moment!

elektra
08-07-2012, 12:35 AM
My current phone (1st generation iPhone 4) is also not doing well and I am going to hold out for the 5. I am hearing September so I am going to try and hang in there for one more month!

larig
08-07-2012, 12:37 AM
What you miss out on with the 4s vs. 5 is more hardware features than software features, since many of the iOS 6 stuff that will be on the 5 will work on the 4s too. Likely you'll have a better processor, camera, screen, etc. It may have a different sized connector (so old tech with docks for iPhones won't work anymore without adapters). Siri is a software feature that requires certain hardware to run. It runs on the 4s, and will run on the 5--will likely be same experience on the two phones. It is rumored to be longer than the 4s, but not wider.

You can already find some of these phones on sale--for example, sprint has the 4s for 149 with two year contract.

The negative is that you are buying an already one-year old phone, and when you can renew again it will be 3 years old.

ETA: I would definitely NOT do it if I couldn't get it for $50 off. You'll be mad in sept when your $199 iPhone 4s that you bought in Aug drops in price to $99, saving $50 would ease that pain a bit.

larig
08-07-2012, 12:38 AM
double post.

Globetrotter
08-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Good to know. I have at&t at the moment so wondering whether to switch or stay, then I have to decide on a plan! Decisions, decisions..

larig
08-07-2012, 04:41 AM
Good to know. I have at&t at the moment so wondering whether to switch or stay, then I have to decide on a plan! Decisions, decisions..

Are you considering one of the shared plans? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/06/atts-mobile-share-service-plans-launching-august-23/) They go into effect 8/23.

We are both on unlimited data still ($30/month). I'm considering buying an iPhone unsubsidized to retain it (wouldn't have to sign a new contract, is the assumption).

Globetrotter
08-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Dh has an iPhone through his work, via AT&T. So we are only paying for mine. Wonder if I can piggy back onto his plan, but I don't see how those shared rates are beneficial if it is $30 for a single data plan. Very confusing!

larig
08-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Dh has an iPhone through his work, via AT&T. So we are only paying for mine. Wonder if I can piggy back onto his plan, but I don't see how those shared rates are beneficial if it is $30 for a single data plan. Very confusing!

I should have been more explicit, sorry. DH and I have $30 unlimited plans that we are grandfathered into from our phone purchases several years ago. If we were to switch to a shared plan we'd lose that, and it would be more expensive for us. If your DH has the same kind of plan, I'd not have him switch. I'll have to look for the other single phone plans.