PDA

View Full Version : Which Thomas Sets to get??

new_mom_mry
08-07-2012, 02:37 PM
We are just starting to assemble our Thomas collection (DS is 21 months old). My mom ordered us the Tidmouth sheds with the turntable as a gift, and also Toby's windmill without doing much coordination with me. Not even sure if these pieces come with engines or not (we haven't received them yet). Does anyone know if they come with included engines? I am planning to get the Nilo activity table as an early bday present for DS, so what additional Thomas sets should we get to complement the two pieces my mom already ordered for us?? Also, what are the best introductory Thomas DVDs?? Thank you :)

♥ms.pacman♥
08-07-2012, 03:30 PM
the tidmouth sheds and toby's windmill sounds like a great start! warning that tidmouth sheds & turntable is pretty big and if you have one of the smaller train tables it will take up most of the space (so DS just likes to play with his on the floor).

while we probably have enough Thomas trains/tracks accessories to fill an entire room (no joke.i went a little Thomas-crazy last year) i have no idea what comes with what set as we got almost everything from Craigslist, or Christmas/birthday gifts.

i don't think tidmouth sheds comes iwth anything. at least this one on target doesn't seem to. http://www.target.com/p/learning-curve-thomas-friends-wooden-railway-tidmouth-sheds/-/A-13233463?ref=tgt_adv_XSC10001&AFID=shopping_df&LNM=|13233463&CPNG=toys&ci_src=13736960&ci_sku=13233463& i think usulally the ones that comes with trains come with a set of tracks too (like the Figure 8 set for example).

if you are looking to get a starter set of tracks and Thomas engines, i'd definitely check out CL. Lots of people selling sets of 10, 20 + trains there for WAAAY cheaper than you'd ever get them in a store or even online (thomas engines are like $10-$12, even $20 for the big engines like James, Gordon..so it adds up quick!!). Granted, it's used stuff but honestly my DS was going to bang them up anyway within the first few days.

eta: for tracks, you can either by used Thomas tracks on CL or you can get the target (Circo?) brand that are compatible..i thimk they are cheaper. i have no experience with them though.

larig
08-07-2012, 05:48 PM
I love the knapford station set, it is discontinued, but you can get it on ebay.

As for the videos/dvds, I prefer the old stop-motion filmed ones to the CGI animated newer ones. The old ones were narrated by Ringo Starr, Alec Baldwin, George Carlin, ... They just read the old stories that are now over 65 years old. Speaking of videos, you can find some that come with engines--those are the best deal, considering how much engines cost.

new_mom_mry
08-08-2012, 01:15 PM
thanks for the great suggestions, ladies!

swrc00
08-08-2012, 05:34 PM
DS loves any of the tunnels. Most come in the huge sets, so I buy them individually on ebay. Cranky is also a favorite. We have a lot of Thomas, but the one piece I regret buying is the Sodar Engine Wash. I got it on clearance, but it doesn't work.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-08-2012, 06:12 PM
oh yeah Cranky is a favorite here too. got that on CL as part of a set (it's pricey otherwise..it's like $40 new!!)

i've also gotten some trains on ebay as well. and yes the tunnels are fun.

larig
08-09-2012, 12:09 PM
I've also purchased some Big Jig tunnels and things for DS. Their stuff looks great with Thomas sets.

Jai
08-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I've also purchased some Big Jig tunnels and things for DS. Their stuff looks great with Thomas sets.

I appreciate this post. I have been wondering about the Big Jig tunnels/train accessories. It looks great (and is reasonably priced) online.

indigo99
08-09-2012, 06:07 PM
DS carries some pieces around and plays with them even though he isn't that interested in putting it together with track yet (unless we set it up in a loop and use the battery operated trains).

He loves the smaller bridges and tunnels (mountain overpass, quarry mine tunnel, and covered bridge) but also the service station and (to a lesser extent) heliport/hospital. The waterfall mountain with tunnel and the lifting bridge are too big to carry around so they aren't used much yet. We have a roundhouse, but it's really too large to use on the train table.

DS does like the train wash (ours may be an older version tho) You have to turn the wheel on top to make the trains go through, but he can do it himself (works with most of the trains but obviously we leave that off when we're using the battery operated trains).