PDA

View Full Version : Which carrier best for me?

shmeetz
08-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi All,
I'm expecting #3 shortly and never used a baby carrier for the first 2. I'm thinking that with 2 little ones it may be easier than a double stroller all the time. I don't know very much other than I thought the baby bjorn was the top of the line and looking around here, people seem to have other options. My lower back occasionally acts up in general when I am in a more more child lifting stage of life. Additionally, sometimes some shoulder strain from extra weight during nursing...
Is any baby-wearing just going to maximize the back/shoulder pain or is there something that you think might work?
Thanks!

Liziz
08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
If you have back/shoulder pain, I'd suggest looking into a wrap. I've only used a stretchy wrap (Moby), so I don't know if the same is true for the woven wraps, but I would think so. With a wrap you're really able to spread the weight out over your whole back, by keeping the pieces wide.

edurnemk
08-07-2012, 11:42 PM
If you like the idea of a wrap but don't want to deal with the actual wrapping, you can get a Baby K'tan, which works like a wrap but it's easier to put on.

I also have a Beco Gemini and I love it since the weight is distributed between both shoulders and the waist/hip. I also have the same back problems, but I find the Beco very comfortable.

BTW the Baby Bjorn and other carriers like it are not considered a good option because a) the way the baby hangs in there is bad for their hips, b) it's awful for the parent's back and c) the weight limit is kind of low, and also not as versatile (the Beco, Ergo, etc allow front, hip and back carries)

For a lot of information on different types of carriers go to thebabywearer.com

Uno-Mom
08-08-2012, 01:15 AM
I have a tweaked shoulder and dh has a chronic back injury. The ergo worked beautifully for both of us. It really does distribute the weight perfectly. But you have to adjust it right, you really really do. We luckily had a great indie baby wearing shop and they taught us hands on with mirrors. Sometimes I see people using ethos or other structured carriers with the straps all weird or the baby slung low and it makes me ache just looking.

I still use the ergo with Sprog and she's 2.5. Dh doesn't anymore because that's too much weight on his back.

We used a sling for the first five months and I was door and didn't alternate shoulders. :(. That aggravated my old shoulder injury. I probably would have been fine if I alternated but I think I'll try a wrap for the next newborn, if there is one.

Uno-Mom
08-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Ps there are sleeker, less "structured" carriers like the Becco (I think that's the one Ive tried) and they do appeal to me because they seem more natural and less engineered than the ergo, but I think the structure and padding on my ergo was best for our injuries. I could be wrong though, I've never used any other carrier for extended periods.

Good luck! I couldn't imagine parenting without a sling or carrier, it would have put me in so much pain. I hope it works for you.

citymama
08-08-2012, 03:31 AM
I'm a big fan of the Pikkolo carrier - can be worn from newborn up, very portable (folds into diaper bag), yet good for those of us with less skill/time to tie a wrap since it has buckles that snap securely into place. It was absolutely necessary to have while running after DD1 without wanting to have hands in use to push a stroller or secure a less sturdy carrier. Highly recommended.

crl
08-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Loved my pikkolo and it worked very well for me with my bad neck. Also loved my freehand mei tei and, although it required tying, it was so infinitely adjustable that it was almost more comfortable than the pikkolo.

Catherine

lizzywednesday
08-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Basically, what I'm reading from PPs is - look for a carrier that you can use for two-shoulder carries.

If you had the Bjorn and hated it, I suggest you try something a bit more ergonomic.

Depending on your build, you might like the ErgoBaby carrier (currently the 2nd-most "popular" carrier than the Bjorn, thanks to its being carried by BRU) or a less-well-known brand, like Beco (Gemini is a decent option - it's like what would happen if the Ergo & the Bjorn had a baby; the Butterfly II is also a good option) or Pikkolo (with support belt) or even a BabyHawk (couple of options there, basic is mei tei, which you have to tie, but it works from birth on up) or the Boba 3G (which works from birth to toddlerhood.)

When my DD was itty-bitty, I used a woven wrap. Yes, Liziz, the wovens function the same way as the stretchy wraps - the more you spread the fabric on your shoulder, the more area over your body Baby's weight will be distributed - but a better woven can take you into toddlerhood with a back-carry! (Thinner wovens, like the GypsyMama Bali Breeze or my much-loved EllaRoo, can get diggy as Baby grows.)

At 4 months, we started using the Ergo pretty exclusively. At 2.5, I still back-carry her in it!

If I had it to do over, I might get the Boba 3G instead of the Ergo (the 3G is new in the last year or so) because it can be used from birth without an insert, but I did love my wrap!

BabyBearsMom
08-08-2012, 10:19 AM
I have back problems but baby wear a lot. Bjorns are not good at all if you have back issues, but a good carrier can be helpful (it keeps you from carrying babies on your hip which can be bad for your back). I really like a Moby wrap for the infant stage. It can be a little intimidating at first, but once you get used to it, it is easy to use and very comfortable. Then, around 5 months, it is nice to have a soft structured carrier. I use an Ergo, but a Becco or Pikkolo are nice too. It depends on your build. I understand that Pikkolo's are good for folks who are on the more petit side. I have a larger build and the Ergo is fantastic.

shmeetz
08-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Wow - thanks everyone! So many suggestions and I'll have to look at that site as well. I'm guessing I also have to actually try them out to really know. Do the stores have these guys? Buybuybaby or babiesrus?

BabyBearsMom
08-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Wow - thanks everyone! So many suggestions and I'll have to look at that site as well. I'm guessing I also have to actually try them out to really know. Do the stores have these guys? Buybuybaby or babiesrus?

The Buy BUy Baby by us carries Ergos, K'Tans, Bjorns and Moby wraps.

roseyloxs
08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
If you have a bad back then don't use any carries that have the baby facing out. That will KILL your back. Parent facing carries are supposed to be more supportive for both your back and the baby's developing hips.

I also LOVE the Moby for the newborn stage. So, so comfy and worth going through the learning curve. I also am a big fan of the Beco, Boba and Kinderpacks.

lizzywednesday
08-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Also, depending on where you are in NY, you may be near a babywearing group that can help you try out a bunch of lesser-known carrier brands.

In the City, for example, there's one group that meets in Central Park regularly ... and they also run classes at Caribou Baby in Brooklyn.

You can usually find local groups by joining the (free) forums at The Babywearer and taking a look-see under the "local groups" forums:

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/