PDA

View Full Version : Belated communion gift...wwyd

jerseygirl07067
08-07-2012, 11:20 PM
I was invited to the first communion of my friend's two children, ages 12 and11. I used to be very close with this friend but over the years we have drifted apart quite a bit. In fact I am one of three sets of godparents to her son, but since our friendship has drifted a bit I am not as close with him anymore.

This friend and I speak maybe a few times per year. I think being at different stages in our lives with raising kids, marriage, etc has contributed to the drift. I admit that I havent made ghe greatest effort to keep the friendship going but we really have drifted apart imo.

I was recently invited to their first communion, to my surprise. Here is the sticky part....I could not attend and it was back in May. I haven't sent a gift to them yet, but I would like to. I feel weird now that so much time has passed. It has been on my mind all summer but it's just been a very stressful time for us this year as DH lost his job over a year ago, we both lost our dads and we've just been busy with our 3 dd's.

So wwyd giftwise? The longer it goes on the more awkward I feel.

ha98ed14
08-08-2012, 03:46 AM
I'd send a card with a heartfelt me message and either cash or a gc to a place like, TRU, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, iTunes, or a restaurant like jamba juice or Strbx.

specialp
08-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Better late than never and I'm sure no one will think twice about the timing. Everyone has life happens moments and has to send a late card every once in a while. Send a card with a note that they have been thinking of them with a gift card.

Jen841
08-08-2012, 07:54 AM
What about a card and a nice picutre frame to fill with a picture from their special day?

Seitvonzu
08-08-2012, 10:09 AM
this happened to us with our niece-- we just sent a check, very late. i kept seeing the card and it was awkward when we finally did it, but they still cashed the check ;)

jerseygirl07067
08-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks everyone. How much would you send as far as the amount?

ha98ed14
08-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks everyone. How much would you send as far as the amount?

I think it depends in your income. $25 gc per child seems like a good minimum. If you are wealthy ($300K+) and/or significantly wealthier than the family, $50 or $100 cash per child is not inappropriate for this major life event.

jerseygirl07067
08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I think it depends in your income. $25 gc per child seems like a good minimum. If you are wealthy ($300K+) and/or significantly wealthier than the family, $50 or $100 cash per child is not inappropriate for this major life event.

Lol....actually she is much wealthier and my dh has been unemployed for over a year. Well, technically her spouse's income is much higher, as she married herself intk a very comfortable financial situation. That is actually part of the reason for the rift...she became very materialistic and status oriented.