PDA

View Full Version : Wow, my skin needs help...

twowhat?
08-08-2012, 09:56 AM
I guess I haven't looked in the mirror for months or something, but I was flossing my teeth yesterday and staring in the full-length mirror up close and nearly choked - my facial skin is in really bad shape!!! Lots of tiny acne on my forehead, my spider veins are really red and irritated-looking, and my skin looks bumpy and not smooth, lots of discoloration. My cheeks are flaky but the rest is oily (typical PITA asian skin)...

I am totally guilty of not taking care of my skin.

I'm sure the chlorine from the pool does a number on it, but so does neglect :bag I wash with Dove bar soap and that is all I do. No moisturizer or anything. I tend to be pretty oily in the summer, but with dry patches on cheeks and between eyebrows.

I'm thinking I need something special to help repair my skin. Any suggestions?

wendibird22
08-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Argan Oil. I'm not Asian, but have combo skin...oily t-zone, dry cheeks. I've been using argan oil for at least a year now and I won't use any other moisturizer or product on my face (other than face wash). I started with the Josie Maran, which is nice, but $$$$. I now get it from Rose Mountain Herbs. Huge bottle for a fraction of the cost and works equally as well. I put a few tiny drops on my finger tips, rub my hands together, and then pat my face. No greasy film, just soft, smooth skin. Doesn't break me out. I love that it's a single ingredient, natural product. No chemicals.

Best of all it's also a great product for dry cuticles, dry cracked heels, dry elbows, etc.

twowhat?
08-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Argan Oil. I'm not Asian, but have combo skin...oily t-zone, dry cheeks. I've been using argan oil for at least a year now and I won't use any other moisturizer or product on my face (other than face wash). I started with the Josie Maran, which is nice, but $$$$. I now get it from Rose Mountain Herbs. Huge bottle for a fraction of the cost and works equally as well. I put a few tiny drops on my finger tips, rub my hands together, and then pat my face. No greasy film, just soft, smooth skin. Doesn't break me out. I love that it's a single ingredient, natural product. No chemicals.

Best of all it's also a great product for dry cuticles, dry cracked heels, dry elbows, etc.

Argan oil is awesome - I used to use it but stopped because no matter how little I used, my eyelashes (since they're flat) would pick it up from my face whenever I blinked and then smear it all over my glasses. :(

elliput
08-08-2012, 10:51 AM
I have found using a facial cleansing brush like the Olay Pro-X or a Clarisonic makes a huge difference on the texture of my skin.

janine
08-08-2012, 11:08 AM
No ideas, but I am in same boat. Also use dove and then cetaphil moisturizer that's it.

Oh and my hair is frazzled too, short ones everywhere from re-growth. So I need more help than you! Will follow this thread closely...

mackmama
08-08-2012, 11:11 AM
I love Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel pads. When I use them, my skin looks so much better. I have super sensitive skin that can get bumpy, red, and rough, and this peel is mild enough to work wonders for my skin. They are a bit pricey, so I suggest going to Sephora and asking for some samples of it first to see if you like it.
http://www.sephora.com/alpha-beta-r-daily-face-peel-with-3-extra-strength-peels-P285158

I've also heard great things about Clarisonic. Argan oil makes me break out.

todzwife
08-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I stopped washing my face. I have always had TERRIBLE skin, but out of laziness I started using the scrubby face wipes from Wal-Mart instead and I have hardly had any pimples since. I use a scrub in the morning shower and I think the exfoliating helps. If I'm dry, I use pure coconut oil. Give it 5 minutes and your skin soaks it up.

mypa
08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
I also have the flaky cheeks and oily face and nothing worked (ultrasonic brush, oil/mosturizer) until I read on cosmeticscoop.com about the importance of exfoliation.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/exfoliate-for-bright-smooth-and-radiant-skin.aspx

I use Olay Night Elixir (because it was effective and cheap from Costco), you can use anything that has the right ingredients and that your skin can tolerate. Within a few days, the dry cheeks were gone! Now I use it every now and then for maintenance.

Here's a link to info on different skin care topics. I found it very educational.
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn-skin-care-facts.aspx

twowhat?
08-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks, all! I need to get to a Sephora to get some samples. I do think exfoliation would help...maybe I should go ahead and start doing a sugar scrub and at least putting some of the girls' Cerave on at night:)

Green_Tea
08-08-2012, 11:05 PM
I recently (like in the past three weeks) started using Paula's Choice products and have been very, very impressed. I can see an appreciable difference in the tone and texture of my skin. Highly recommend!

theriviera
08-08-2012, 11:06 PM
do you wear sunscreen? be careful with the exfoliation - i agree that it's great but it can also make your skin more sensitive to the sun.

i like neutrogena healthy skin face lotion. it's cheap and has AHA which helps with the flakiness.

wendibird22
08-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Just wanted to come back and add that I just started using Dessert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash yesterday and after 2 uses I think I'm in love. It's the one with the green label (combo skin). I bought the jumbo 32oz bottle off amazon for a lot cheaper than other places. My face is squeaky, and I do mean it literally squeaks like when you have nice clean tupperware, but yet it's not dry or tight. Just smooth, soft, clean skin. It contains tea tree oil so you have to avoid the eye area. It's also super super thin (like water) but it does lather up and you don't need very much at all. I read in one of the online reviews that some people mix with water and put in a foaming dispenser and it lasts them forever. I'm thinking of trying this. I used it last night with just my hands and a splash of water to remove. This morning I used it in the shower with my Mia.

mom2khj
08-09-2012, 09:17 AM
I also have the flaky cheeks and oily face and nothing worked (ultrasonic brush, oil/mosturizer) until I read on cosmeticscoop.com about the importance of exfoliation.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/exfoliate-for-bright-smooth-and-radiant-skin.aspx

I use Olay Night Elixir (because it was effective and cheap from Costco), you can use anything that has the right ingredients and that your skin can tolerate. Within a few days, the dry cheeks were gone! Now I use it every now and then for maintenance.

Here's a link to info on different skin care topics. I found it very educational.
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn-skin-care-facts.aspx

I swear by Paula's Choice products (author of above web site). Not the most glamorous of products, but they sure do work.

janine
08-09-2012, 09:53 AM
I swear by Paula's Choice products (author of above web site). Not the most glamorous of products, but they sure do work.

never heard of them - which products are you using?

chinook
08-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I second the Paula's Choice recommendation. I love her stuff, have NEVER bought a dud product! Her website allows you to "shop by concern" which will help you come up with the best products for you.

chinook
08-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Wanted to add, do you have a history of rosacea? Your description sounds a bit like it. Paula has a solution for that too! Lol! :)

m448
08-09-2012, 10:33 AM
I use a home peel by MUAC (makeup artist's choice). It's the mandelic acid one and I love it because it's pretty foolproof.

Was a long time Paula's choice user but have since moved onto other stuff that works for my skin.

twowhat?
08-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Wanted to add, do you have a history of rosacea? Your description sounds a bit like it. Paula has a solution for that too! Lol! :)

I don't think it's rosacea...I have a ton of tiny spider veins on my face (cheeks) which does make it look somewhat like rosacea. The ones on the apples of my cheeks are thin and red, and the ones on the sides of my face are thicker and purplish/blue. If there were one plastic surgery thing I would do...it would be laser treatment to get rid of them because they contribute to the "not smooth" look of my skin since they're so many different colors. I've even had people say "you have something on your face" thinking it's food or something and they're just being nice to point it out so I can wipe it off...sigh. But...I hate rubber bands and I'm afraid of the "rubber band snap" description of what the laser feels like:)

urbanmommy
08-09-2012, 11:36 AM
This product has made a tremendous difference for my skin http://www.sephora.com/glycolic-acid-10-hydrating-gel-P3572?skuId=142026
Its Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid. It has really cleared it up and helped with flakiness and dullness without drying out my skin.I've been using it for several months now and I am really happy with the way my skin looks. I put it on at night after cleansing with a cleanser that I get at Trader Joe's - Nourish all in one facial cleanser- its very gentle and takes off all of my makeup including mascara. I've also been using a moisturizer by Korres http://www.sephora.com/quercetin-oak-antiageing-antiwrinkle-day-cream-spf-4-P241730 It says its for day but its really rich and has the consistency of a night cream, plus the spf is too low for daytime use, and then I use Mega Rich eye cream by Peter Thomas Roth.

In the morning I use a serum called hard night Good Morning http://www.hardnightgoodmorning.com/ and the same eye cream and Eucerin SPF 30 moisturizing lotion.

I also have a clarisonic but I haven't been using it much because my skin really hasn't needed it.

I like all of the products but believe the linchpin to the whole routine is the PTR Glycolic Acid.

mom2khj
08-09-2012, 12:02 PM
never heard of them - which products are you using?

I use the skin balancing system, plus the blemish solution when I need it.

Her site is really good about describing which products would work best for your skin type/problem.