PDA

View Full Version : My Lemon MBUS. Try to fix or sell as-is on Craigslist?

bisous
08-08-2012, 10:58 AM
A couple of weeks ago I bought a lemon MBUS off Craigslist. On close inspection, the angles of the whole thing are off--the handle is weirdly twisted and the wheels are crooked! Still, I used it for a couple of weeks and it worked great.

Well last week it started to work poorly--the wheels are wobbling and I simply can't use it. I just bought a replacement MBUS off craigslist that is beautiful and perfect so I'm selling my "lemon". I *THINK* that if I replace the wheel axles the wobble issue and the crooked wheels will be fixed! It would cost me about $20.

Would you put MORE money into a "lemon" in order to make it sell better or should I just sell it as is and mention that new axles might be needed? I'm inclined to buy the axles and try it out. A well functioning stroller being much easier sell, than one that MIGHT work, you know?

WWYD?

todzwife
08-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I know I personally wouldn't buy a stroller that didn't work properly. :/

rileysmom
08-08-2012, 11:48 AM
If you are going to be honest in your ad and tell people it's not working properly (which obviously is the right thing to do and sounds like your plan) you are going to have a hard time finding a buyer for it or you are going to get lowballed like crazy. I would spend the $20 and fix the axles if you really think that is all that's needed to fix it. Then you will have an easier time selling it.

Multimama
08-08-2012, 12:50 PM
To be totally honest based on your post here and what you've posted about this stroller previously, I think there is a lot more wrong with this stroller than the wheel axels. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it because it seems like there really might be a safety issue if some part of this poorly-pieced-back-together-after-being-run-over-or-otherwise-mangled stroller gave out. I would either be totally honest about its condition and sell as-is (you could tell the potential buyer about the wheel axel possibility) or I would just trash it and call it a $100 lesson learned.

I'm so glad you got a new one that works great! Any chance you could save some pieces of this one to use for parts on the new one?

bisous
08-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks, all. Yes, I'd be totally honest about the extent of the damage and, like Todzwife I would totally not buy a non-functioning stroller! I think I'm going to pick the brains of the MB technicians and see what they say. I got an awesome CS rep once who REALLY knew his stuff. If they think the axles could be the issue, I suppose I could give it a try.

Multimama, I hear you there. The new MBUS that I got is in such pristine condition and I got such a great price that I truly don't feel as badly about my "lemon". On the other hand, I've kind of fallen for this crazy "Frankenstein" stroller. I don't anticipate making much money off of it, but I do think that it has value and I don't think that it is unsafe. I think I'd really like to see if I can bring it into usable condition and go from there.

Thanks for weighing in!

strollerqueen
08-09-2012, 05:02 AM
You could also just save the canopy, basket, wheels, and seat fabric. All those parts alone are worth well over $100. A lot of people are always looking to buy MB parts, especially the fabrics.

bisous
08-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Playing around with "FRANK" today. I might be able to try out my rear wheels on my MBUD and vice versa to determine the wobble problem.

I'm starting to think that I might keep "FRANK". My newest MBUS that I just bought is lovely and in perfect condition but is even OLDER than Frank. So lots of the replacement parts simply won't work! If I can fix the axles, I'm going to have to decide if I want a beautiful perfect older stroller or a newer stroller with an ugly handlebar and a flatter fold and better basket!