PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for "decorating" a gravesite

WitMom
08-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Ok, decorating isn't the right word, but I can't think of what else to call it.

My mom passed away a few weeks ago and I would like to do something at her gravesite to make it more special. She and my dad did do some pre-planning, so there is already a tombstone in place, but I feel the need for something more. I would plant flowers but I live about 300 miles away and won't be able to tend them. At Christmas, I will plan to place a wreath, but I want something for now. Thoughts?

rlu
08-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Perhaps "adorn" is the right word.

Do you want to affix something to the gravestone - I often see pictures for example. I do believe some cemetaries offer a service of putting fresh flowers out every week (or maybe through a florist, not sure). Pinwheels for kids.

peanut520
08-08-2012, 04:59 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

We planted two small evergreens by my father's headstone. (if you do make sure you research that they will not get huge an block the headstone). We used to plant flowers but now I have added a matching stone vase to the headstone base to put silk flower arrangements in since we have found out over 30 years that flowers just don't grow well there.

misshollygolightly
08-08-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. The cemetery may be able to recommend a plant that grows well there and would require minimal care (maybe bulbs for spring tulips or a small shrub?).

BillK
08-08-2012, 05:55 PM
There are lawn flags on both my mom's and my niece's grave sites (they are right next to each other). My dad even put a couple of those solar powered lawn decorations on posts too that are humming birds that change colors (kinda cheesy but my mom loved hummingbirds and it makes my dad happy so it's all good).

Their graves are very close to us so there are flowers planted as well. In fact my dad and I go for a walk most every night past them.

deborah_r
08-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Be sure to check with the cemetary to see what they allow. I am familiar with the rules of only one cemetary, and was surprised by some of the things that are not allowed. I can't remember the rules right now, something about things like potted plants vs. planted, and I think some guidelines on leaving fresh-cut flowers.

gatorsmom
08-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Be sure to check with the cemetary to see what they allow. I am familiar with the rules of only one cemetary, and was surprised by some of the things that are not allowed. I can't remember the rules right now, something about things like potted plants vs. planted, and I think some guidelines on leaving fresh-cut flowers.

:yeahthat: The cemetary my mom and dad are buried in has very strict rules about putting things around the headstones. No vases or other things to adorn it. I think that the staked baskets are allowed though.

bigsis
08-08-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

My SIL put a plastic flower arrangement on my MIL's plaque---a small vase with flowers. (Check Michael's) I added my kids' pics that I laminated.

LD92599
08-08-2012, 09:11 PM
I used to buy really appropriate cards, laminate thrm and attach to a dowel, atick in the ground. This is for my dad but his cemetary doesnt have headstones per se....all the markers are flush with the ground, so they have specific dates that they comb the grass and every. Single. Thing is removed!

echoesofspring
08-09-2012, 12:47 AM
So sorry for your loss :(

My grandmother has a vase with a hole in it, that way she can put silk flowers in it and if water freezes in it it won't bust. I think the vase is metal, so it's heavy enough to not blow away. Now that I think about it, I think the cemetery supplied the vase, but my dad "improved" it by drilling the hole.

WitMom
08-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Thank you everyone....and yes, "adorn" is probably the word I'm looking for.

For some reason, I never consider silk flowers (duh!). I might head to Michael's and see what I can find. And I like the thought of a garden flag that I could switch out periodically. I might go to a gardening or floral store and see what they all have. When we picked out the flowers for my mom's funeral, I remember seeing some stepping stones and garden plaques. Maybe something along those lines.....

Thanks, too, for the reminder to check what the cemetery allows. I didn't really consider that honestly, but this is a very, very small town and even smaller church cemetery, so if I place something that they don't like, I am sure they will just call my dad to come and get it.

karstmama
08-09-2012, 06:57 AM
pottery stores (i have no idea if they are regional - we have several local chains with names like 'carolina pottery' and 'new river pottery') have silk flower sections with gravestone-made flower arrangements. some are made to fit over the headstone and some are flat with places to put 'spikes' (like big staples) to attach them to the ground.

anyway, i would think michaels or ac moore or similar would either have the same things already or be able to make them/help you make them.

mama has also planted nice full crysanthemums on her gparents' graves. they are perennial here but might not be there, of course, but something else living could be lovely.

i'm really sorry for your loss.

bandgsmama
08-13-2012, 02:44 AM
i am so sorry for your loss:grouphug:.
i have always been the one to adorn my grandma's tombstone since she passed 9 years ago. there are vases on the tombstone & i make silk flower arrangements for her side & a saddle for the top (you can make them very inexpensively, ask your craft store for some of the flowers that have fallen off & they may give them to you for free or very cheap).
my grandpa wanted her to have a shepard's hook with a hanging basket of flowers. as i live an hour away, it was too hard to take care of. i now have wind chimes hanging & every time we visit, they seem to ring.
my mom has placed some angels on the tombstone out of various materials. my children have also made things & we have placed them on the tombstone. at christmas time, we place a fake little tree & the kids help me decorate it. for easter, we made an easter egg tree. it may sound tacky, but it's a small town, country church & i enjoy paying homage to her in these little ways & sharing stories about her with my kids as we are doing the activities.
& a tip on the fake flowers - if you spray them with clear spray paint, the sun will not fade them as quickly.
again, i am very sorry for your loss.

Jenny_A
08-13-2012, 07:08 PM
I saw this once on a gravesite and I thought it was neat. You take some sand and pour and little bit down on the ground and then make a handprint in the sand. It wouldn't last a long time, but it was unique and touching when I saw it.