PDA

View Full Version : how to lock the BJCM closed?

Swallowbird23
08-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Do you have to take the front wheel off to lock it closed? And then put the front wheel in our carry on? We're going to be taking it on a plane and I can't get it to lock in the folded position without taking the wheel off (and then it doesn't seem to fit anywhere to store it like I can on the BOB, if you really do have to take it off)

Thanks!!

Multimama
08-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I have no problem locking my BJCM closed with all the wheels on. I have a 2011, if that makes any difference.

Swallowbird23
08-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Hmm, I will play around some more...I have a 2011 model as well

roseyloxs
08-09-2012, 02:33 AM
Maybe try rolling the stroller backwards before folding it, so the front wheel faces out. That's what I used to have to do to get the stroller to its skinniest so I could lock it. Even then though the lock was hard to do and undo but that's a typical problem for all the pre-2012 strollers.

You could also just bring a bungie cord and use that to 'lock it' to make your life easier.

Philly Mom
08-09-2012, 06:56 AM
I see people drop the bjcm at the gate all the time. I don't think I have ever seen it locked. We tend to put ours in the red gate check bag. We don't lock.

liamsmom
08-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't think the 2011s have the auto-lock, just the 2012 models. I have a 2011 BJCM that I flew with recently. We didn't secure it while folded. Just manually turned the front wheel so it could be folded flat. We didn't use a travel bag or anything and it turned out fine.

Multimama
08-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I don't think the 2011s have the auto-lock, just the 2012 models. I have a 2011 BJCM that I flew with recently. We didn't secure it while folded. Just manually turned the front wheel so it could be folded flat. We didn't use a travel bag or anything and it turned out fine.

It's not an auto-lock, but it's a manual lock on the side. Honestly I think I'd rather use a bungee cord because I fear that if it was mishandled the manual lock could snap off.

Swallowbird23
08-09-2012, 08:10 PM
It's not an auto-lock, but it's a manual lock on the side. Honestly I think I'd rather use a bungee cord because I fear that if it was mishandled the manual lock could snap off.

That's a good point. I go have a red gate check bag so maybe we'll bungee cord it and possibly use the bag. Thanks!

liamsmom
08-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Whaaa? There's a manual lock?!!!! :47: Seriously, I'm going to have to look mine over tonight after DS' bedtime! Of course, I haven't missed it all this time so....

Multimama
08-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Whaaa? There's a manual lock?!!!! :47: Seriously, I'm going to have to look mine over tonight after DS' bedtime! Of course, I haven't missed it all this time so....

Yeah, I can't remember when they added it. Maybe only in 2011. Then in 2012 they went to auto. There was a little loose-leaf sheet of paper inserted into my instruction manual. I bet most people don't even know it's there. It's a little black piece of plastic that rotates onto a little thing that looks like a screw on the other side of the frame, if that makes any sense.

roseyloxs
08-10-2012, 03:42 AM
Yeah, I can't remember when they added it. Maybe only in 2011. Then in 2012 they went to auto. There was a little loose-leaf sheet of paper inserted into my instruction manual. I bet most people don't even know it's there. It's a little black piece of plastic that rotates onto a little thing that looks like a screw on the other side of the frame, if that makes any sense.

Pretty sure its always been there but was so impossible to use that no one ever bothers using it. I can't remember if I had an '09 or '10 but it was definitely on that model as well.

Smillow
08-10-2012, 09:25 PM
The latch on my Micro is on the right side (if you are positioned as if you were pushing the stroller) just north of where the sunshade pivots - it isn't visible unless it is pivoted out to latch.

Multimama
08-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Pretty sure its always been there but was so impossible to use that no one ever bothers using it. I can't remember if I had an '09 or '10 but it was definitely on that model as well.

So did the BJCE also have a lock I didn't know about? I had a 2009 and it used to drive me crazy that it didn't lock because it would roll open. (Not an issue at all with the BJCM.)

Swallowbird23
08-11-2012, 08:53 AM
OK, After playing with it forever, I think mine is defective. It will NOT lock. It seems like the black clip is just a smidge too short to latch on to the screw/clip (even with the front wheel off) I'm a bit disappointed! I, too, didn't realize it had the clip until recently after the stroller flipped open on me several times while carrying it/loading it in the car. When I realized it had the lock I was so happy...but now a bit sad that it doesn't work!

Multimama
08-11-2012, 12:26 PM
OK, After playing with it forever, I think mine is defective. It will NOT lock. It seems like the black clip is just a smidge too short to latch on to the screw/clip (even with the front wheel off) I'm a bit disappointed! I, too, didn't realize it had the clip until recently after the stroller flipped open on me several times while carrying it/loading it in the car. When I realized it had the lock I was so happy...but now a bit sad that it doesn't work!

If the lock is really important to you maybe trade yours in for a 2012. If the lock on the BJCM is anything like the one on the Versa it's great (big) and locks very easily and automatically.