PDA

View Full Version : If your DC was on meds for reflux...

cookiemonster80
08-08-2012, 09:55 PM
When did they stop needing it?? Our dr said that most babies stop needing meds at 6 months- is that your experience?? Was it a hard transition when you stopped the medication?

kbud
08-08-2012, 10:06 PM
DD#1 until about 2 years old. She is 8.5 now and still has reflux episodes. I just bought some pepcid for her tonight to try. Not sure if we will need to look at daily meds again or not. DD#2 about a year. With DD#1 we'd stop taking it every 3 months or so and the symptoms can back pretty much immediately so we went back on them.

lilycat88
08-08-2012, 10:08 PM
DD was on Prevacid solutabs as an infant. She's 8 and has been on and off Prevacid her whole life. We're getting ready to go off again to see how it goes.

DS was also on Prevacid starting at about 10 weeks and he is still on it at 2. We tried going off it for a while and his night waking ramped up so he went back on it. Right now we're working on some other possible sleep issues so it will be a while before we try again.

truly scrumptious
08-08-2012, 10:14 PM
DS was on reflux meds until he was 18mo, and DD until she was 11mo.

acmom
08-08-2012, 10:26 PM
DS was on Prevacid until right around his 1st birthday.

ETA: no issues transitioning off it

infocrazy
08-08-2012, 11:36 PM
DS2 was on it from about six weeks to six months. I tried probably monthly to take him off it but it was obvious he needed it until 6 months or so. I had also cut dairy and caffiene but stayed off until I weaned him.

Tinochka
08-08-2012, 11:45 PM
5-6 months, once he was able to be in more upright position. Transition was easy.

Minnifer
08-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Weaned DS off Zantac just before 6 months. Transition was pretty easy/uneventful b/c I'm not even sure how much the meds were doing at that point or whether he was just outgrowing the reflux as his system matured. He continued to spit up a fair amount (altho not nearly as much as before) but was no longer miserable b/c of it. By 9-10 months was only spitting when actively teething, and by 12 months pretty much stopped.

MamaMolly
08-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Lula was about 2.5. When I tried to take her off of it earlier it was clear that she still needed it. Then around 2.5 I realized we'd missed a dose or two and DH was fine so that was that.

daisymommy
08-09-2012, 09:44 AM
13 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS
08-09-2012, 09:48 AM
DC 1&2 until 22 mo. DC3 is still on prevacid.

Simon
08-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Ds1 needed meds until 16mo or so. Dh and the Ped. insisted we try and wean him off at 9 mo and again around 11 mo or 1yo. Both times I didn't think he was ready and I was right. Ugh, it was terrible trying too soon. It messed up his sleep, his eating, he had pretty bad pain so it caused huge issues that took weeks to go away.

OTOH, around 16 mo when we tried, it was completely smooth sailing. You couldn't tell any difference once he was off the meds so he was clearly ready. One thing that made a big difference for Ds1 was learning to walk. Before when he was crawling, laying on his belly or siting bent at the waist, he had worse problems.

indigo99
08-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't remember how old DS1 was, but I think it was around 9 or 10 months. I'm not sure how you're supposed to take them off, but we just realized that we'd missed a couple of doses without any problems so we didn't give it any more. When I miss doses with DS2, I still notice symptoms so he's still on it at 11mo.

Melbel
08-09-2012, 01:26 PM
DD2 is still on meds at age 4 and has had significant symptoms when we have tried to wean. We have been able to cut her dosage even though her weight is increasing. Her doctors now believe the reflux is related to her Lyme Disease so our situation is not the norm. We are hoping that her symptoms will subside with treatment for LD.

Per her pediatric GI doctor, most kids are able to wean once they start walking (more upright time and increased muscle strength).

joonbug
08-09-2012, 05:16 PM
3 years and counting.

AnnieW625
08-09-2012, 05:42 PM
DD2 was about 14 months old when she stopped taking Zantac. I think we skipped a dose or two and she was fine so we finished that RX and never renewed it.

The Playtex Drop Ins bottles helped out a ton though in regards to decreasing spit up. Unfortunately we didn't try them until she was 8 months old. I wish I would have tried them sooner. Life savers:)

okinawama
08-09-2012, 11:27 PM
My son is almost 16 months and still on Prilosec. We tried taking him of about 2 weeks ago and it didn't go well, so we'll try again later.

maydaymommy
08-09-2012, 11:31 PM
GI told us most babies can stop around a year & nearly all by 2 yrs.

DS2 was 15 months.

Melbel
08-10-2012, 07:47 AM
3 years and counting.

Out of curiosity, what is your DD taking? Have the doctors indicated what may be causing the problem? Does your DD have trouble eating? Our DD has to have food cut very small still and seems to have some issues swallowing. She also is only able to eat a small portion at a time and is a very picky eater. It seems like when the kids do not outgrow the reflux as planned, the doctors are at a loss (at least ours is). We hope that treating for Lyme will help our DD2, but that is a guess too.

hellbennt
08-10-2012, 04:37 PM
12-15 months.
12 months weaned off the prevacid and continued to need zantac as needed until 15 months or there abouts. Continued to need/use tums or mylanta as needed...

by 4 or even 5 yrs old, no need for tums...

(see my sig)

cookiemonster80
08-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Out of curiosity, what is your DD taking? Have the doctors indicated what may be causing the problem? Does your DD have trouble eating? Our DD has to have food cut very small still and seems to have some issues swallowing. She also is only able to eat a small portion at a time and is a very picky eater. It seems like when the kids do not outgrow the reflux as planned, the doctors are at a loss (at least ours is). We hope that treating for Lyme will help our DD2, but that is a guess too.

We're on Prevacid now- tried Zantac- it took the edge off, but didn't work nearly as well as the Prevacid.

I'm quite certain the issue is acid production which burns her badly when she spits up-

prior to being on the meds the only time she wasn't in pain was while she was eating- any other times she was actively spitting up or silently refluxing and obviously in tremendous pain (arching back, screaming, trashing, etc)

chiisai
08-11-2012, 08:42 AM
about 16 months. We did a very slow wean off of compound prevacid, starting at 13 months. I wanted to try to avoid rebound reflux from coming off the meds (I realize the idea of possible rebound reflux is not necessarily agreed on by professionals).

we had tried at 8 or 9 months and that was miserable.

amldaley
08-11-2012, 08:57 AM
DD2 is on Zantac. Her pediatric pulminologist just wrote her a script with 12 refills, so I guess she expects to be on it at least until age 17 months.

She did say starting solids at 6 months helps as is weighs things down, so maybe your ped anticipates reevaluating then?

karstmama
08-11-2012, 09:15 AM
i know he was older than 1 1/2 because i was giving his prevacid solutab through his gtube and that's when he got that out, but i don't remember how much longer he was on it. probably a couple of months and then he grew out of the dose by weight and we just stopped it. the difference is that his was more preventative because of all his preemie issues and the ostomy and only having 1/3 of his large intestine - he never had actual reflux as far as i know. he was just treated because it would be a rough issue if he got into that pattern.

BabyMine
08-11-2012, 09:15 AM
TT was able to do without any medication at 2.5 year old. We tried Zantac, Prevacid, and Nexium and noticed that Nexium helped the best. We also had problems waiting 30 minutes after using Zantac or Prevacid to feed TT. With Nexium you didn't have to wait and you could make many doses ahead of time.

joonbug
08-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Yes to all of the above.. LOL. T is currently on 30 mg of prevacid solutab first thing in the am, followed by breakfast 30 mins later. She's a terrible eater, been in feeding therapy for over 2 years now, no end in sight (still mostly on blended food, she CAN chew but has very little apetite and if allowed to eat as much as she wants, she'd have been on feeding tube a long time ago.. Long story short, T was a 34 week preemie, anemic, with intestinal issues at NICU, feeding problems started at 6-7 weeks old, throwing up which lead to bottle refusal at few months old. We went through 3 GI doctors, had endoscopy done at 6 months (normal), barium swallow study showed delayed stomach emptying, ultrasound of stomach was normal. But they couldn't get the meds right (started with Zantac, then compounded Prevacid, Prilosec, Nexium). Still throwing up, bottle refusal lead to dream feeds - nightmare! Anyways.. we tried Bufferbabies with OTC Prilosec which finally stopped throwing up and we switched to spoon feeding (she was 1 already as the bottle refusal was so strong there was simply no looking back).
We started feeding therapy around then too, she was so below the weight charts that we had to concentrate on catching up with blended foods (she also choked, gagged and threw up the smallest chunk). We've done an intensive inpatient feeding program last fall, she's finally caught up with the chart with height but still hovers below with weight, at least the curve has been going up steady for a while.
It took a very long time to get her to accept chunks, chew properly, even now she still can gag or choke on food so we have to watch her. But she's able to chew french fries, pizza, pasta, toast, edamame, grapes, apples just to name a few. So hopefully one day soon she can have a normal diet, can't wait! Tired of blending everything.. Seems all those issues stem from the uncontrolled reflux, sadly, which does make sense. plus she was IUGR at borth so sort of pre-programmed to need less. Whew. That was some trip down the memory lane!

Sopamanda
08-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm new to the reflux world and dd is almost 5 months.

Her pediatrician says she doens't recommend even trying to take kiddos off of them until after they're mobile, that when they start to move around the reflux often gets worse.

In your experience is this accurate??