PDA

View Full Version : breast pumps rental covered by Affordable Care Act

urbanmommy
08-09-2012, 08:09 AM
I don't know if this has been posted about yet but I wanted all the mommies who might need a pump to know about this. It was just passed into legislation on July 23.

I had a PIS that I used with DD1 but when I started using it with DD2 it wasn't working very well. I was listening to NPR a couple weeks ago and they had a discussion about this. So I decided to contact my insurance and see if I could rent a pump instead of having to buy a new one.

I called and spoke with the benefits department of my insurance, CareFirst, and at first they told me that it was only covered for medical necessity (preemie, supply issues) but I mentioned this new legislation and the person I was speaking with checked and said that yes, it is covered now under all circumstances. I had to rent the pump from a durable medical equipment provider who was in-network. This is very important to getting your insurance to cover it. The DME provider has to submit the claims for you. You can't submit them and get reimbursed.

I am now in possession of a Medela Symphony gratis thanks to Obamacare!

If anyone wants to know more about getting this done I'm happy to answer questions.

:cheerleader1:

http://www.healthcare.gov/news/factsheets/2011/08/womensprevention08012011a.html

specialp
08-09-2012, 08:25 AM
I believe this goes into effect once your plan renews which for me would be the first of the year.

urbanmommy
08-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Right, it does depend on your plan. Mine happened to write it in to be effective right away. But insurers don't have to start providing it until Jan 2013.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

wellyes
08-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Great news! Between this and free birth control, I'm beginning to suspect women's health is actually becoming a priority.

AngB
08-09-2012, 08:33 AM
I thought it was 2014 for some reason but 2013 sounds much better. DS2 is being born no later than Oct.26 (scheduled c-section), our plan renews Oct.31st, so hopefully I can get one covered this time. With DS, even though he was technically a preemie at 36 weeks, they still didn't cover them under any circumstances.

Kindra178
08-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Great news! Between this and free birth control, I'm beginning to suspect women's health is actually becoming a priority.

Well said.

evolutionist
08-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I have been on the phone for the past 5 days trying to find a DME in network that can supply me with a Symphony. I have the same insurance you do, can you PM me with the name of the DME you rented from?

It's such a new change that most of the providers are not ready to do this yet. Please respond, thank you!

urbanmommy
08-09-2012, 01:42 PM
I have been on the phone for the past 5 days trying to find a DME in network that can supply me with a Symphony. I have the same insurance you do, can you PM me with the name of the DME you rented from?

It's such a new change that most of the providers are not ready to do this yet. Please respond, thank you!

I sent you an email. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2