PDA

View Full Version : A Thank you gift for nuns?

sophiesmom03
08-09-2012, 09:23 AM
So this is kind of a funny request. We live in a very rural area and there is an Abbey on our street. These nuns are industrious women - they run a dairy farm, a Christmas tree farm, a summer theater, and probably several businesses I don't know about. All very quietly, though I see them out in their full habits, driving tractors and tending fields, mending fences and such.

The sisters have some downed trees off the side of the road, that have been cut to 6-8 foot logs and left there for most of the past year. It's nice wood and we heat our house with wood.

Recently my DH saw one of the nuns working near the road and asked her if they were planning to do anything with that wood. She took his number and said she'd ask her superior.

We got a message from her superior (she left her cell number - somehow I am tickled by all of this) saying my DH could go ahead and take whatever he wanted.

It's probably $50 worth of wood - but now it's free with a little work from DH - and will help heat our house nicely next winter. I know these women work very hard and also that material things are probably not all that important to them.

Any ideas for a small thank you gesture? We can definitely do a card/picture from DC but I'd love to do something additional that's thoughtful, as we really do appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!

lizzywednesday
08-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Contact the Mother Superior and ask if there's anything the Order might need (from old paperback novels to soap & shampoo) or if they can accept cash donations.

If she refuses a cash donation, I'd follow up with a question about whether they have any outreach programs that could use a donation, like a senior center or food bank, and donate there in their honor.

misshollygolightly
08-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I agree about asking the superior for ideas and/or making a donation to an associated ministry. I think a nice potted plant with thank you card would also be an acceptable gesture. And I'm also totally tickled by the thought of nuns riding around on tractors :-)

trales
08-09-2012, 02:52 PM
The sisters near me also really like me to bring DD by to play, we bring cookies and handmade cards.