PDA

View Full Version : Do your kids do activities or classes on Saturdays? Tell me about it.

Simon
08-09-2012, 11:06 AM
What is your experience with having lessons or sports on weekends? Our city has started offering a lot more things on weekends and even Sunday afternoons! I am tempted to take advantage of them because then Dh is around so we can spit up or not drag along the little ones.

I hesitate because we always use weekends for family events and errands. I am wondering if having scheduled activities is going to feel like its cramping our style. OTOH, I can't really run the kids to activities on weekday evenings by myself (many conflict with day care pick up) and I don't think its a good idea to have so many school nights with additional time commitments for Ds1.

I guess Ds1 is finally old enough that I've hit the wall with wanting to give him new opportunities and experiences but not overschedule him/the family.

wellyes
08-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Whenever possible, pick an early morning activity. 9 am swim lessons, not 11 am, since that gives you the rest of your day.

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2012, 11:11 AM
We have soccer every Sat. and it can be a bit annoying, depending on what time it is, because it can interfere with opportunities. I prefer them on the weekday nights so we have uninterrupted time on weekends but I could go either way. I prefer mornings so it's done though...we usually don't do anything in the mornings anyway. :)

Jupiter
08-09-2012, 11:19 AM
You could use the time dc1 is in class to have special time with dc2. Or you can take time for yourself til dc3 comes and dh can have special time with dc2.

Just a thought.

BabyMine
08-09-2012, 12:25 PM
M has karate every Saturday at 12:15. We do our errands before or after and if there is something special planned for the entire day than we miss the class. I take M and DH stays home with TT and sometimes we switch.

hillview
08-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I like to do a morning activity on Saturday. We have done gymnastics, tball/baseball and now plan to do soccer. It gets some energy out and is fun.

BabyBearsMom
08-09-2012, 01:17 PM
DD1 almost always has an activity on the weekend. I schedule them for either first thing Saturday morning or late in the day on Sunday. We usually make it that one parent takes her and the other stays home with DD2. That way she gets some one on one time. I don't think it cramps our style and I just plan around the class. I don't know what I will do when DDs have activities on week nights. DH and I both WOH FT with substantial commutes. I can't imagine getting them to an activity, feeding them, and dealing with homework. I'm really dreading it.

almostmom
08-09-2012, 01:26 PM
We often have weekend sports in fall and spring. I feel differently than most - I can't stand when it's early on Saturday, as part of the weekend feel for us is sleeping late, lounging in pjs, and generally not having to get up and out before we're ready (since we all do that during the week). But I don't usually have that choice if it's a town sport, which is basically the weekend activities we have.

If it's a soccer game, I pack snacks and books, and see it as a time to sit outside and snuggle with whatever kid isn't playing, or talk to other parents, or read my book. It's down time, which I crave. It does mean less hikes and family adventures, but I've just accepted that at this point.

elektra
08-09-2012, 01:34 PM
DD had ballet at 8:45 on Saturday mornings. It was a great way to get us all up and going actually, as now when we don't have it, we just can't get going as quickly!
She moves up in age group this fall so she won't start til 9:30. I imagine we will just end up sleeping in a bit more and have the same rush out the door though. :)
First thing in the morning worked well for us actually.

iaam
08-09-2012, 01:47 PM
DS is in pre-school and DD will start in September. DH and I WOTH and we have a live-out nanny. Like you, OP, we try to use weekends for family fun. So, when possible, we schedule the kids' activities for weekdays, after school (nanny takes them). However, some times the schedule doens't work out.

Right now, DS goes to gym class on Monday and Tae Kwon Do on Wednesday + Tae Kwon Do at 11am on Saturday. In the fall he will also go to soccer at 9am on Saturday.

DD goes to gym class in the morning on Wednesdays. When she starts pre-school she will have Wednesday off (4-day week) so that will continue. However, as she gets older, I expect we will have to add weekend acitivities for her too...

I am OK with early activities but wouldn't want something in the afternoon as that would eat up our day. Also, try to limit to one day of the weekend.

Cam&Clay
08-09-2012, 01:55 PM
DS1 always has games or tournaments on Saturdays and Sundays. This fall, DS2 will start soccer which will be just an hour on Saturday mornings. We don't mind it at all. I guess we're just used to our weekends being mostly about sports!

AnnieW625
08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
It is the only time for us to do most things so yes our kids have or will have activities on Saturday mornings.

DD1 had ballet at 9 am, and then 10 am. If she starts gymnastics she will most likely have it between the times of 9 and noon on Saturday AM. Last year DD1's basketball was at 9 am, this coming year it will be at 9 am again to include for practice time, which she did not have last year.

DD2 has had Gymboree on Saturdays at 11 am for the last six months, and will start at 9 am at the end of the month.

Swimming lessons have also been on Saturday mornings in the past.

Kindra178
08-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I love having something to do on Saturday. It gets us up and out the door, especially during the long winter months. Gymnastics has dominated our Saturdays for the past three years. This fall it will be soccer and TKD.

This past school all three boys' gymnastics class started at 10:30. That was the most perfect time because it allowed a little bit of laziness and cleanup time in am (mail, etc) before we had to motivate. The soccer schedule will be all over the place

Philly Mom
08-09-2012, 02:59 PM
DH and I both WOTH. We do music class as a family on Saturday mornings. We love getting to do a class together.

bigsis
08-09-2012, 08:18 PM
My DD has dance classes on Saturdays.

Saturday Sched:
6:30 to 7ish Wake up and make a big breakfast
8ish Eat big breakfast
8:30-9:00 Shower, get dressed
9-10:00 Grocery shop (takes me 45 mins and the list was made during the wk)
11:30 light lunch
12:00 take DD to dance

Then the rest of the day is free. Or I do the laundry while watching TV. If there is a bday party or another family event, we skip dance.

Sundays we go to church. So we wake up, relax for a bit, go to church. Then we eat out for lunch and we are free to relax the rest of the day.

HTH!

Simon
08-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I learned a lot in this thread. It confirmed some of my thoughts (re:it could be a good way to give the kids 1:1 time) and some ideas about trying to corral the activities all into the AM or maybe late Sunday afternoon. I think we'll give it a try. I just don't want to feel like I wasted the $$ on classes we don't attend or like we're missing out on the local seasonal activities or free time with friends if we do go to class.