PDA

View Full Version : Keeping 3 y.o. out of meds

RedSuedeShoes
08-09-2012, 11:43 AM
OK, my 3 y.o. is freaking me out. He can now get into the cabinet where we keep meds and even open the childproof lids. He loves medicine and vitamins and twice in the last 24 hours I have found him helping himself (or trying to). We have always kept the meds/vits in a kitchen cabinet on the two shelves above our drinking glasses. This worked for our older kids, as they would never taken medicine without asking (after the toddler phase, when they couldn't reach them). But it is clearly not working for him anymore.

I could lock the cabinet, but then our drinking glasses are locked up which is a pain. I could move them to a higher cabinet, which means I have to climb onto the countertop several times a day - I am very short - (and which likely also means he will start to think it's a good idea to climb and stand on the countertop). I could try to find a locked box to keep the meds in.

What would/do you do?

JElaineB
08-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I think getting a medicine lock box (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/176-5394993-9194628?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=medicine+lock+box) sounds like a good idea.

o_mom
08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
We got a clear locking box for meds in the kitchen. In the bathroom we have a lock on the linen closet door. We also went through and disposed of any expired meds, infant meds, etc. ETA: I bought ours at Office Depot for around $20. It is Vaultz brand in the section with the locking file boxes, etc. ETA2: We set the combination to 911 to be easy to remember.

lizzywednesday
08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Can he defeat baby gates? We keep our kitchen gated and our meds are on top of the pantry.

If that's not an option, yes, a lockbox is probably a good idea and important for keeping your son safe. If you get a keyed lock, wear the key around your neck to minimize chances of your preschooler getting it.

ABO Mama
08-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Another vote for lock box!

lalasmama
08-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Another vote for a lock box, especially since he seems pretty darn determined!

I bought a lockable file box from Fred Meyer (Kroger). It's made by Sterlite (or however you spell it--the plastic-Rubbermaid-competitor people). It was about $10, and is large enough to hold file folders. $4 lock added on, and DD can't get into the "oh so yummy" Ibuprofen that she would down in one sitting if given the chance.

Melaine
08-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I would absolutely lock them up under those circumstances. I moved all of our cleaning supplies to the highest of high cabinets. I have to get a chair to reach them, but it's a good option because even with a chair my kids still wouldn't be tall enough. Mine are not the exploring types (well who knows about DS yet!) but I still feel better about the cleaning stuff being totally out of reach. Most of our meds are also out of reach but I keep the ones we use daily in a cabinet in my reach. The girls have never tried to give themselves any and they are rule-followers otherwise I would definitely resort to a lock box or a more out of reach spot.

RedSuedeShoes
08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I think a locking box is the way to go. I'm not sure where I would keep a file-sized box. Maybe I will look for a tool box I can add a lock to. This is going to be a pain, but not as much of a pain as rushing to the hospital for stomach-pumping.

Thanks, everyone.

o_mom
08-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I think a locking box is the way to go. I'm not sure where I would keep a file-sized box. Maybe I will look for a tool box I can add a lock to. This is going to be a pain, but not as much of a pain as rushing to the hospital for stomach-pumping.

Thanks, everyone.

The one I got is not as big as a file box. It is 7x7x10" This one: http://www.vaultz.net/personal_lockboxes/VZ00171 but in a clear plastic. It fits on the top shelf of my kitchen cabinet. You may need more than one to hold everything, but they are easy to use.

Also, make sure you have the number for poison control handy and call before you go to the hospital if they do get into something. We have called them *many* times here and never once have we even needed to go to the doctor. I always call, but apparently it takes way more than what my kids get into to have to go in.

hillview
08-09-2012, 01:23 PM
eeeks! Lock box for sure. Also agree with pp to get rid of old stuff. Finally can you keep the often used stuff (vitamins etc) in a lock box in kitchen but the other rarely used stuff in a lock box on a high shelf in a bathroom or closet or something?

That is scary!

LMPC
08-09-2012, 02:17 PM
I think getting a medicine lock box (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/176-5394993-9194628?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=medicine+lock+box) sounds like a good idea.

:yeahthat:

R2sweetboys
08-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Lock-box, no question and it should be hidden somewhere that he can't find it. I would not keep it somewhere that he is aware of. It may be inconvenient but it's better than the alternative. :hug: What a determined little bugger!

kbud
08-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I used a fishing tackle box that I could put a pad lock on. We never ended up locking it though since we stored it up on the top shelf of the closet. It was far from reach from kids even with a chair. I think I got it cheap at walmart.

azzeps
08-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I think I need a lock box too! My DD drank almost an entire bottle of children's ibuprofen once, because she likes the way it tastes!

Pear
08-09-2012, 03:50 PM
I keep my medication on the top shelf of my closet. It is in a bin that I can just barely stand on my tiptoes and pull down. Once a day I get out enough for the day. I have a pill organizer with compartments that I like to use. Since the child proofing on that is minimal, I keep the organizer in a locking bag. It is just a really sturdy bag with a locking zipper that you can put a combination padlock through. Basically a small bankers bag.

doberbrat
08-09-2012, 04:20 PM
We have a gate that is difficult to open at the kitchen doorway. One of the side benefits is that chairs cant be pushed into the kitchen to stand on. And I'd get the lockbox.

RedSuedeShoes
08-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Well, I went through everything this morning and disposed of a lot of stuff (expired, infant, or we just won't use). Everything that could be dangerous to him is now in an upper cabinet above our regular cabinets that I'm pretty sure he can't reach. Everything else (including fish oil and homeopathic stuff) that couldn't really hurt him is now on the top shelf of our regular cabinets (one shelf up from the one he can reach) - harder for him to reach, but maybe not impossible.

As soon as possible I will go get something that locks - either the one o mom got from Office Depot or a tackle box. We are recovering from travel, the 3 y.o. is sick & my DH is working long hours all week/weekend, so I'm not taking everybody shopping today. But soon, I will. Thanks for all the ideas!

In case this is helpful to anyone else, I found out that you're not supposed to flush old meds down the toilet anymore. Best case scenario is to take/send them to a med recycling program (check with your pharmacy or police dept), but I wanted it done today and not sitting around the house waiting to be taken somewhere! So I did the next best, which was to dump them all in a big Ziploc bag (I double-bagged), add some water and a bunch of something yucky-tasting (I used cayenne pepper, other suggestions were kitty litter, charcoal or coffee grounds) and seal it well with duct tape, then throw it in the garbage.