PDA

View Full Version : Immersion blender

mackmama
08-09-2012, 04:57 PM
If you have an immersion blender, what do you use it for?

I'd love to understand an immersion blender's uses versus using a food processor. For example, can you use an immersion blender for making smoothies, or is it more for blending a hearty soup while on the stove? I need a new hand mixer (used mainly for baking cookies, cakes, etc) and am wondering if I could use an immersion blender to mix the dry/wet ingredients?

misshollygolightly
08-09-2012, 05:53 PM
I have an inexpensive immersion blender I received as a wedding present. At the time, I wasn't sure how useful it would be, but I actually use it a good bit (certainly more often than either my blender or food processor, both of which were much more $$). I use mine for making baby food, smoothies (if just making 1-2 servings, esp. if I want it a bit chunkier), and soups on the stove (I wouldn't use it if you wanted a true puree, but for just adding some texture to a lentil or veggie soup I think it's great). I don't think you can use an immersion blender for mixing wet/dry ingredients (as in baking), but I haven't tried it...I just don't think it's strong enough for that. What I do like about it is that it's easier to clean than the blender or food processor, smaller to store than those things, and quicker/less messy than transferring hot soup to the blender and back again. A food processor is more versatile and more powerful, though. Immersion blenders (mine, anyway) are more like mini, hand-held blenders. I wouldn't consider it a replacement for a hand mixer.

abh5e8
08-09-2012, 06:45 PM
i love my immersion blender. i use it for smoothies, soups and other more typical "hand mixer" tasks...like muffin or cake batter. well, i use the immersion blender to bled wet ingredients 1 bowel and dry in a 2nd bowel, then use a spoon to gently mix the 2. i just used it today to make banana nut muffins...with not-so-mushy bananas (almost green) and i didn't mash them by hand, just used the immersion blender. they were silky smooth. i think i have a cuisinart.

i also have a food processor. i use it for shredding cheese, chopping veggies and making big batches of hummus, pesto, salsa, etc. i have a huge food processor...14 cups. its a great combo :)

mackmama
08-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the clarifications. I'm still a little confused on how I might use it - but it sounds like it'd especially be a great thing to have if I made homemade soups.