PDA

View Full Version : Tupler technique qs

mctlaw
08-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Forgive the brevity here; typing on the iPhone. I am pretty sure I have a small diastasis. Though I just borderline meet the finger test, my belly pooches out pretty bad when I contract my abs. I am 9 weeks pp. Is this pricey program worth it....seems like a lot for one body part. Or has anyone researched what exercises specifically should be done & care to share? Thanks!

twowhat?
08-09-2012, 05:51 PM
I have a very significant diastasis that I'd like to start working on. There's a poster here who has done the Tupler program...after the girls are in bed I'll see if I can find her posts. But I'll be following this thread for any success stories! Especially curious if this can be done without having to wear the splint.

AnnieW625
08-09-2012, 05:53 PM
I bought the book a couple of months ago and read it but it is pretty hard to do it without the splint, I didn't feel like I had enough control. I tried using some exercise tubes I had and tied a scarf around my belly, but it didn't work very well (a reviewer on Amazon suggested that) and I felt like I had too much give and not enough support. I wish I would have known that before I ordered to book that it is best to get the whole system. I just noticed that they are selling imperfect splints for $24 so I am thinking of doing that since I already got the book (you have to call them to order those so I will do it tomorrow). I am 2 yrs. 3 mos. PP and I really wish I would have done this a lot sooner.

I believe that Brittone has mentioned that she has started working on hers.

lmh2402
08-09-2012, 08:18 PM
i took a pregnancy workshop with her when pg with DS and we went back and forth after he was born b/c i was trying to organize a postpartum loose your mummy tummy workshop in my hood but couldn't get enough people to justify the space rental

i'm not sure what the cost of the program is but i can tell you that her techniques are truly good...however, they're not novel

take this with a huge grain b/c i am NOT a PT in any sense. ( i only know of her b/c i am a trained pilates instructor and when i was doing a special course on pregnancy and postpartum i started hearing her name and she was based in NYC so i decided to take her class)

but the overall idea is that you need to strengthen your transverse abdominal muscles. think of it like a corset that wraps from your spine around to your front. you can strengthen it by deep contractions without flexing your trunk. you definitely don't ever want to do crunches or sit ups with a diastasis.

one of the best/easiest exercises you can do is sitting cross-legged with a straight back and inhaling...when you exhale, pull your tummy in toward your spine... you can do a few variations of this...

one would be trying to hold your tummy in that contracted position and then pulsing for even slightly tighter contractions up to 100 counts - work your way up to that. you can use a splint to deepen the contraction

another variation would be pulling in for a count of 10, then pulling a little deeper and counting to 20 and then a little deeper counting to 30, etc...like an elevator going down floor by floor toward your spine

you want to be aware of your rib cage while your doing these exercises - your ribs should not be popping out you want to be wrapping / pulling in your entire tummy - the transverse attaches up under your ribs

sorry...not doing a great job explaining. bottom line, i do think her techniques are good. can you see if they have any of her stuff at your library?

brittone2
08-10-2012, 07:46 AM
She has done a good job of developing her program and marketing it. I agree her ideas are not necessarily all that novel, but she succeeded in packaging and marketing them well. I did not pay for an in-person class, but bought her DVD and splint. I find the splint definitely does a better job of approximating the abdominal muscles (bringing the two halves of the diastasis closer together) vs. the compression style tummy binders. The splint can be annoying, and after a few weeks of using it (2-3 weeks) I had to size down. THat was kind of a good problem to have though because I could tell I had clearly made progress.

I have an old book of hers from years ago that I found 2nd hand on maternal fitness. It describes a lot of the same exercises. You could start with that if your library has it, and see if you feel you can do the exercises effectively using the book's descriptions of exercises.

I have not found it difficult to replicate the exercises and probably could have done it with just the book, but I'm a PT and pretty aware of what muscles I'm recruiting, how I'm breathing through them, etc. The DVD does have additional information in general about dos and don'ts, etc.

Are you talking about the DVD plus splint cost, or an in person class? I don't think the price of the DVD and splints was all that costly, and it is more convenient for many people than driving to therapy.

It has definitely made a difference for me, including reducing some of the hernia bulging I have. My belly button has shrunk to about 1/3 to 1/2 the size it was. My clothes fit better as well.

I was really good about the program the first few weeks, then had a bunch of stuff come up and was only doing the exercises a few times a week. I do wear the splint religiously. I still have my diastasis but it is closing up and has become way more shallow, not just smaller in terms of the distance across.

brittone2
08-10-2012, 07:49 AM
I bought the book a couple of months ago and read it but it is pretty hard to do it without the splint, I didn't feel like I had enough control. I tried using some exercise tubes I had and tied a scarf around my belly, but it didn't work very well (a reviewer on Amazon suggested that) and I felt like I had too much give and not enough support. I wish I would have known that before I ordered to book that it is best to get the whole system. I just noticed that they are selling imperfect splints for $24 so I am thinking of doing that since I already got the book (you have to call them to order those so I will do it tomorrow). I am 2 yrs. 3 mos. PP and I really wish I would have done this a lot sooner.

I believe that Brittone has mentioned that she has started working on hers.
You definitely, definitely need the splint. You wear it 23 hours a day, so all of the time unless bathing. It does roll, curl, etc. at times and you need to readjust it a few times a day. PITB, but it makes a difference. You can't do the exercises effectively without it, and you need to hold the muscles in the proper position during the exercises and when you aren't exercising for them to heal.

I bought a 2nd quality one because I chatted with her by phone, and it was totally fine. I ended up having to size down after 2-3 weeks, so I was glad I didn't shell out the full price initially.

Nyfeara
08-10-2012, 07:52 AM
I just received my order. I went all in & got the package with the DVD and the splint. I'm actually finding the splint difficult to use. I am short and short-waisted and it rolls & bunches quite a bit for me. My job involves sitting at a computer for most of the day & it's not that comfortable with the splint. I've tried sleeping with the splint (as is recommended) but within 30 mins or so it seems so loose that I don't think it's really doing anything at that point. I've also started doing cardio workouts and I'm hoping that as I start to drop some weight that the splint will actually be a bit easier & more comfortable to use.

I do feel like the exercises are working those muscles and the instructions for preventing/minimizing any forceful forward movement does seem to be helping.

brittone2
08-10-2012, 07:55 AM
I just received my order. I went all in & got the package with the DVD and the splint. I'm actually finding the splint difficult to use. I am short and short-waisted and it rolls & bunches quite a bit for me. My job involves sitting at a computer for most of the day & it's not that comfortable with the splint. I've tried sleeping with the splint (as is recommended) but within 30 mins or so it seems so loose that I don't think it's really doing anything at that point. I've also started doing cardio workouts and I'm hoping that as I start to drop some weight that the splint will actually be a bit easier & more comfortable to use.

I do feel like the exercises are working those muscles and the instructions for preventing/minimizing any forceful forward movement does seem to be helping.

I wear my looser splint to sleep and it still works, fwiw. It is more comfortable.

Yeah, the splint bunches and rolls and curls at times and that's super annoying, no doubt. It still works though IME, even when not perfectly applied all day. I just do my best, refasten when I can, etc. But yes, it is kind of a love/hate thing. When you see results though, it makes it more tolerable. At this point my first one is broken in and has softer edges, etc. and that makes it comfier for sleeping.

twowhat?
08-10-2012, 09:42 AM
You definitely, definitely need the splint. You wear it 23 hours a day, so all of the time unless bathing. It does roll, curl, etc. at times and you need to readjust it a few times a day. PITB, but it makes a difference. You can't do the exercises effectively without it, and you need to hold the muscles in the proper position during the exercises and when you aren't exercising for them to heal.

I bought a 2nd quality one because I chatted with her by phone, and it was totally fine. I ended up having to size down after 2-3 weeks, so I was glad I didn't shell out the full price initially.

So my fear is "undoing" all the work you've done with the excercises and splint like several of the reviews state...How long have you not been wearing the splint and have you been able to maintain the results?

brittone2
08-10-2012, 10:06 AM
So my fear is "undoing" all the work you've done with the excercises and splint like several of the reviews state...How long have you not been wearing the splint and have you been able to maintain the results?
I've had my diastasis for 8.5+ years, through three pregnancies. So yeah, I'm still working on it. I expect it will take me more than a year to fix it completely, or at least max out what I can do to facilitate its repair.

It didn't get here overnight, and I should have done more serious work on it earlier. No doubt about it, and i was aware of that even then.

I have no idea if I will be able to maintain it, but I expect I'll need to continue to work my transverse for well, the rest of my life! But I think most people should ;) because we could all stand to engage our transverse muscles with our activities of daily living, etc. Everyone should be engaging their core before they lift things (like their kids) whether or not they have a diastasis. I plan to continue to get out of bed, etc. without jack knifing my body, etc. I like the cosmetic effects of it, but really, it comes down to a functional issue, and it will be an ongoing process just like any other musculoskeletal issue people are prone to (posture problems, muscle imbalances, etc.). If I stop working on it and say I'm happy with the way I look, all done now...yeah, I can see how it could be undone easily. I think that is true of most things people pursue physical therapy for...in many cases, it does need to be a long term commitment.

FOr me, I look at it as building a foundation from which I can move on to other core exercises. My core was so bad that I knew many exercises I wanted to engage in would just make my diastasis *worse*. So I look at this as laying the groundwork to move onto other core work down the road. I literally can't engage in some of the circuit stuff I want to do (sort of crossfit type things) because my core is so weak and sucky that I know I'm compensating with other muscles, or I'm unable to maintain proper form. I'm aware of it because of my background. So before I can move on to more dynamic work with my abs, or before I can engage in some other forms of exercise, I need to get this addressed.

I also plan to regularly check the status of my diastasis and will rework the program if I feel it separating again.

I think it *is* a long term commitment. I mean, I've had a bad diastasis since my first pregnancy. THat kid is now 8.5. Which means my diastasis has probably been around for oh...close to 9 years.

twowhat?
08-10-2012, 10:11 AM
I've had my diastasis for 8.5+ years, through three pregnancies. So yeah, I'm still working on it. I expect it will take me more than a year to fix it completely, or at least max out what I can do to facilitate its repair.

It didn't get here overnight, and I should have done more serious work on it earlier. No doubt about it, and i was aware of that even then.

I have no idea if I will be able to maintain it, but I expect I'll need to continue to work my transverse for well, the rest of my life! But I think most people should ;) because we could all stand to engage our transverse muscles with our activities of daily living, etc. Everyone should be engaging their core before they lift things (like their kids) whether or not they have a diastasis. I plan to continue to get out of bed, etc. without jack knifing my body, etc. I like the cosmetic effects of it, but really, it comes down to a functional issue, and it will be an ongoing process just like any other musculoskeletal issue people are prone to (posture problems, etc.). If I stop working on it and say I'm happy with the way I look, all done now...yeah, I can see how it could be undone easily.

FOr me, I look at it as building a foundation from which I can move on to other core exercises. My core was so bad that I knew many exercises I wanted to engage in would just make my diastasis *worse*. So I look at this as laying the groundwork to move onto other core work down the road.

I also plan to regularly check the status of my diastasis and will rework the program if I feel it separating again.

I think it *is* a long term commitment. I mean, I've had a bad diastasis since my first pregnancy. THat kid is now 8.5. WHich means my diastasis has probably been around for oh...close to 9 years.

Thank you!!!! One more question:) Does the book go into more detail about core exercises in general (and not just working the transvers?) I'm asking because I came across another core exercises book (peggy brill) that gets really good reviews and I'm wondering where to start...though if you say the splint is a must have, then I should start with tupler...

brittone2
08-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Thank you!!!! One more question:) Does the book go into more detail about core exercises in general (and not just working the transvers?) I'm asking because I came across another core exercises book (peggy brill) that gets really good reviews and I'm wondering where to start...though if you say the splint is a must have, then I should start with tupler...
I've tried doing some stuff on my own through the years without wearing the splint, and I can tell you I haven't had the same success that I've had with the splint. Not even close. And I have a decent background in musculoskeletal issues ;) I have a love-hate relationship w/ the splint though, believe me. So prepare yourself, because you may find you really, really hate it ;) It rolls, it can be uncomfortable sometimes, once in a while a corner sticks up and starts digging into me in the middle of the night. You may find yourself cursing brittone2 and Julie Tupler at 3 am. It definitely needs to be readjusted throughout the day. BUUUT, I lost multiple inches within 2-3 weeks time, I lost the pregnant looking pooch quickly, my belly button no longer stuck out like a third nipple and shrank considerably ;) My clothes fit better within just a few weeks. I personally consider the splint something you really should do. If you work the muscles from the separated position, IMO it isn't going to work as well as if you work on putting them back in the proper position and *then* engaging them.

eta: I'll see if I can find my book today sometime. I haven't looked through it in a while. I do think it has other exercises in it. It has a lot of pregnancy stuff, and then *some* postpartum stuff.

mctlaw
08-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Just came back to check activity on this thread...thanks so much to those who've replied. Yeah, it's not THAT pricey. It's basically $80 for the dvd program and splint. That's more than I'd typically spend for an exercise program that is not entire-body fucused, and I've already bought an $80 compression garment. But I've certainly spent more on some other mama/baby items so I guess I just need to suck it up!

This is where I got the idea that maybe a splint was not necessary - this competing program; but she says hers is more comprehensive and that a splint just acts as a temporary crutch. It's roughly the same cost:

http://mutusystem.com/

I really jacked up my sacroiliac joints during the birth of DS2 and I was essentially unable to walk AT ALL for several days. Then I used crutches for several weeks and had PT. But, I know I am going to continue to have major SI instability until I get my core into decent condition. Plus I'm hoping my belly will look better too, LOL.

brittone2
08-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Just came back to check activity on this thread...thanks so much to those who've replied. Yeah, it's not THAT pricey. It's basically $80 for the dvd program and splint. That's more than I'd typically spend for an exercise program that is not entire-body fucused, and I've already bought an $80 compression garment. But I've certainly spent more on some other mama/baby items so I guess I just need to suck it up!

This is where I got the idea that maybe a splint was not necessary - this competing program; but she says hers is more comprehensive and that a splint just acts as a temporary crutch. It's roughly the same cost:

http://mutusystem.com/

I really jacked up my sacroiliac joints during the birth of DS2 and I was essentially unable to walk AT ALL for several days. Then I used crutches for several weeks and had PT. But, I know I am going to continue to have major SI instability until I get my core into decent condition. Plus I'm hoping my belly will look better too, LOL.
Tupler is very clear that a splint alone is not enough, in any way, shape or form. I think it can also serve as a tactile reminder to sort of pull away from the splint and work your abs during the day while walking around.

On the website above, she says:

An exercise programme that includes wearing a splint or belt will still only work to help close a diastasis recti IF you are engaging & working your transverse, pelvic floor & oblique abdominal muscles absolutely correctly, consistently & regularly.

The binder doesn’t do the job, the muscles do. The binder might pull them back in whilst you work them, which will assist with a severe gap (3-4 fingers or more), but don’t rely on it to do the job for you.

IMO, that's pretty consistent with what Tupler says anyway. She specifically says multiple times on her site and her DVD that wearing the splint alone isn't going to do the job.You absolutely have to do the exercises. THe splint is a tool to keep things in a better position *while* you work the abs. At times like now when I have a cold and am coughing a lot, I think it provides a little extra support too (eta: so as to avoid undoing some of my progress! WHen you cough, sneeze, etc. you should also engage the transverse beforehand if you can)

My gap was about 2.5-3 fingers (I have small fingers though) and I do think I'm having much better success splinting.

I think *compression* style binding (squeem and other products that focus on "sucking you in") is a little different than the Tupler splint, which is designed to make it easier to bring the two halves of the ab muscles closer together. The typical compression style belly binders can make things appear to be flattened, but they don't really do a good job of bringing the two halves together IMO.

I don't think what she's saying differs all that much from what Tupler says about the splint. It seems to align with what Tupler says on her DVD. I have little experience w/ the program you linked to above; I'm more familiar with Tupler. Everyone is going to have a slightly different twist on things because that's what allows them to market their product as unique. With a quick glance, it seems there are many similarities.

I wish BOTH had better research. Tupler has some, but I'd like to see more.

However, it is working for me a *heck* of a lot better than anything else I've tried through the years, and I'm starting from having a decent base of knowledge about it. My area of expertise as a PT was never women's health/postpartum issues specifically though.

Reader
08-10-2012, 12:47 PM
I tried the Tupler program but I found it difficult to follow without a live person's help. I ended going to physical therapy for my diastasis (covered by insurance) 2 years after my 2nd was born, then I went to physical therapy again after my 3rd was born. I don't have a diastasis anymore, and it's been 2 years since I did the therapy, so I'd say it was successful.

brittone2
08-10-2012, 01:00 PM
I tried the Tupler program but I found it difficult to follow without a live person's help. I ended going to physical therapy for my diastasis (covered by insurance) 2 years after my 2nd was born, then I went to physical therapy again after my 3rd was born. I don't have a diastasis anymore, and it's been 2 years since I did the therapy, so I'd say it was successful.

I think the expertise and accountability of going to a PT is an excellent idea. Most moms I know won't or can't seem to find the time to do that for themselves.

I am a PT, so feel okay about doing it on my own. I could sometimes use a little accountability when I go through a rough week and miss a few days ;)

So happy that you were successful!! :D

eta: Tupler does have some sort of online support group now that is supposed to help people feel more accountable, etc. and you can ask additional questions, get additional feedback, etc. Of course, that's an additional cost. It is at least an option for those who aren't going to schlep to physical therapy, or are uncertain if they are doing the exercises correctly, etc.

waitingforgrace
08-10-2012, 10:43 PM
I went to a PT who specializes in women's health and postpartum issues after DD2 for a diastasis recti. Mine wasn't all that bad but it got much better with therapy. I needed having a live person help me engage the transverse abdominals. When I started I was shocked with how far I needed to pull my belly button in. The PT showed me how I could feel with my fingers over my hip bone if I was doing it properly. On my PTs recommendation I used a Better Binder to help me approximate the muscles. Prior to the binder I used a sheet that I held tightly crossed over my abdomen, which worked okay for me.

I still do my exercises but not as much as I should. I had a good improvement in my diastasis recti with therapy and a vast improvement in my core strength.

RedSuedeShoes
08-10-2012, 11:26 PM
I found Julie Tupler's book at a thrift store after my second child was born, discovered I had a significant diastasis, and tried to do the program at home (no splint, though). I found it difficult to understand and know if I was doing it correctly. The way she outlined it, it seemed rather overwhelming, too, IIRC. I didn't stick with it very long.

After my third was born, my diastasis was much bigger (huge! at my 2 week postpartum check I was at 9-fingers' width) but my midwives didn't know what to do about it and neither did I. So I did nothing and it got worse and worse.

Finally, when my 3rd child was two, I found a PT who saved my life! She was trained in the Tupler technique, but she is no longer affiliated with Tupler. She has branched out to do tummy work in a way that acknowledges the involvement of the rest of the body (ie, posture) in core fitness. Anyway, after 15 months of exercises and splinting 23.5 hours a day, I am so much stronger and closer to being healed! I am beginning to wean from the splint and only have a 3-finger, medium depth gap at the bottom of my tummy. Huge, huge improvement from where I began last May (7.5-fingers and deep at the top, middle and bottom)

So, for me, seeing someone in person along with using the splint was the key to success. I found the book and DVD to be very dry and difficult to use effectively on their own. But I had a long way to go.