PDA

View Full Version : OT: What is an "information platform?"

ha98ed14
08-09-2012, 05:51 PM
I know what a program/application is, but what is a platform? Does anyone know what Win2Data is used for?

hillview
08-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Win2Data looks like it is a real estate program
http://www.trademarkia.com/win2data-75693284.html

I would say an information platform would be something quite different. Information management is a whole group of software and best practices involving a corporation's data and how best to manage that asset. I could go on and on ...

ha98ed14
08-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I would say an information platform would be something quite different. Information management is a whole group of software and best practices involving a corporation's data and how best to manage that asset. I could go on and on ...

Please do...

So could Turbo Tax be considered an information platform? I know it's a program, but this is the same type of issue: there is a law that people have to comply with if they want to do XYZ. Depending on who you are and what you want to do, you have to go about it differently. Different rules apply to different people and then depending on what you want to do, there are different steps and outcomes. Ultimately we want to help design a program that will walk people through the law the way Turbo Tax does. It will simplify it for people so that they don't have to wade through everything to find what applies to them personally. Actually, now that I think about it, it's kind of like that, "Are you wearing pants?" graphic. (Is that an idea web? What would you call that?)

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/274325/AM-I-WEARING-PANTS.jpg

ha98ed14
08-09-2012, 09:12 PM
ETA: Thank you! I could not figure out what Win2Data was in simple terms. It's real estate data on a CD, almost like Census data. Heck, maybe it is Census data. But anyway. Thank you.

hillview
08-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Well so I am in the software business at the enterprise level (big companies big data etc). I wouldn't consider turbo tax or win2data an information platform. I would consider turbo tax an application or software program and win2data as a dataset (from what I understand of it). However depending on what you do I suppose you could think about it in different ways.