PDA

View Full Version : How to supplement for low iron in dd

JustMe
08-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Dd just had some bloodwork and her iron came back on the low end of normal (to be clear it was not below normal). Her pediatrician did not even mention this when she called, just said all was normal. However, when the developmental ped called, he recommend adding a multivitamin with iron. Dd takes a multivitamin, but it does not have iron.

We are vegetarians. Dd had this issue when she was very young, but seemed to outgrow it and I forgot all about what I used to do. I went to the store and looked at the quality multivitamins. The most they had was about 5mg of iron. I did find Flintstones complete had 18mg, but was not thrilled with other ingredients in there. I also saw the liquid iron only supplements, but those seem quite expensive and we are already doing other things that add up.

What do people recommend? Upping her intake of vegetarian iron rich foods (we are not going to add meat)? If so, remind me of what those are or how I can find out. If a vitamin, how much iron should it have at a minimum? Thanks!

Momit
08-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I often wrestle with low iron, and especially had to up my intake when I was BFing (I'm also a vegetarian). I remember some things the doctor suggested:
Spinach
Raisins
Iron-fortified cereal
Kidney beans
Lentils

And there was something about pairing the iron-rich food with a vitamin C-rich food that improved your body's ability to absorb.

baymom
08-09-2012, 06:40 PM
We are vegetarian as well and I'm always thinking about this. Ill be following this thread closely. We do use Flintstones with iron once in a while. Mostly, I make green smoothies for them daily as its the easiest way for me to get them to eat iron-rich greens. But, if I recall correctly, kale and spinach actually need to be cooked to make the iron more readily digestible....so who knows if the smoothies are doing much good?

Eta... We eat lentils and beans a lot, as well.

MamaInMarch
08-09-2012, 06:42 PM
http://www.floradix.net/

citymama
08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Vegetarian family here too. I have exceptionally good iron levels. My secret: cooking with cast iron cookware. Ditch everything else and switch to cast iron. It will absolutely boost your DD's iron levels.

Yes, I eat a lot of green leafys, lentils, etc. but the cast iron makes all the difference.

fedoragirl
08-09-2012, 06:47 PM

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: Best way to boost iron quickly. It's pricey but really worked for DD and for me during my pregnancy.

Momit
08-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Vegetarian family here too. I have exceptionally good iron levels. My secret: cooking with cast iron cookware. Ditch everything else and switch to cast iron. It will absolutely boost your DD's iron levels.

Yes, I eat a lot of green leafys, lentils, etc. but the cast iron makes all the difference.

Interesting! I had hear that but didn't know if it was true or an old wives' tale. At my last appt. my iron was low again, so I need to start being careful.

Pyrodjm
08-09-2012, 06:51 PM

:yeahthat:

citymama
08-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Interesting! I had hear that but didn't know if it was true or an old wives' tale. At my last appt. my iron was low again, so I need to start being careful.

Oh no, not an old wives' tale. My internist confirmed it!

rin
08-09-2012, 07:01 PM
I grew up vegetarian, and I second the cooking in cast iron rec. Also, don't consume dairy/calcium-rich foods at the same time as iron-rich foods, because they inhibit the body's ability to absorb iron.

elektra
08-09-2012, 07:04 PM
We just do the Flintstone vitamins for iron. And then I try to add frozen spinach when I make a smoothie.
What ingredients concern you in those?

MamaInMarch
08-09-2012, 07:16 PM
I grew up vegetarian, and I second the cooking in cast iron rec. Also, don't consume dairy/calcium-rich foods at the same time as iron-rich foods, because they inhibit the body's ability to absorb iron.

Yes, this is true. And foods containing vitamin C enhance the absorption of iron so try to pair foods together that way. I should have also mentioned cast iron cookware. It really works.

o_mom
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Blackstrap molasses is a good source of iron. It's fairly easy to add to oatmeal or a smoothie.

karstmama
08-09-2012, 07:56 PM
i know you said veggie, but does your family eat fish or shellfish? just saying, because anchovies/sardines/baby clams are really rich in iron. (so stuff like linguini with clam sauce or veggie pizza with anchovies...)

JustMe
08-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks everyone.

Cast iron, huh? Any recommendations of where/what brand to buy and what else I need to know? That would be yet a whole new world for me.

We do eat a lot of the vegetarian things people mentioned (everything except the raisins..dd and I are not fans). I do remember we used molasses last time we had this issue. Was there something about B vitamins and molasses? Asking because dd was actually high in B vitamins.

We just do the Flintstone vitamins for iron\.
What ingredients concern you in those?

I didn't get past the calcium carbonate. That is really constipating at least for both my sister and I. It took me a while to figure this out but once I did, there was no doubt about it.

Interesting that spinach and kale might need to be cooked. We do a lot of kale. Not so much spinach because I had a kidney stone in the past; I never figured out if kale had the oxalate too, but we do use a lot of it. However, lately I have been putting kale in smoothies. I'm sure its still good for lots of other reasons, but its useful to know this is not the best way to consume it for iron.

sunshine873
08-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks everyone.

Cast iron, huh? Any recommendations of where/what brand to buy and what else I need to know? That would be yet a whole new world for me.

We do eat a lot of the vegetarian things people mentioned (everything except the raisins..dd and I are not fans). I do remember we used molasses last time we had this issue. Was there something about B vitamins and molasses? Asking because dd was actually high in B vitamins.

I didn't get past the calcium carbonate. That is really constipating at least for both my sister and I. It took me a while to figure this out but once I did, there was no doubt about it.

Interesting that spinach and kale might need to be cooked. We do a lot of kale. Not so much spinach because I had a kidney stone in the past; I never figured out if kale had the oxalate too, but we do use a lot of it. However, lately I have been putting kale in smoothies. I'm sure its still good for lots of other reasons, but its useful to know this is not the best way to consume it for iron.

The best cast iron is the stuff that's been around forever & passed down. But if you're looking for something quick & going to buy new, I'd try to get some that's pre-seasoned, just to try to make your life easier. I've been told in the past too that cooking in cast iron can really help with "borderline iron levels."

As for calcium being constipating, that's new for me. Although iron is often very constipating, so be aware of that too. Like someone else said, you don't want to take the two at the same time anyway (I never understand why so many multi-vitamins have both.) Keep away from calcium rich foods when eating iron-rich ones, but do take with vitamin c rich foods - they work really well together.

JustMe
08-10-2012, 12:01 AM
."

As for calcium being constipating, that's new for me. Although iron is often very constipating, so be aware of that too. Like someone else said, you don't want to take the two at the same time anyway (I never understand why so many multi-vitamins have both.) Keep away from calcium rich foods when eating iron-rich ones, but do take with vitamin c rich foods - they work really well together.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I agree calcium and iron should not be in the same vitamin anyway. Its not all calcium that is consitpating, but calcium carbonate is, at least for some peole.

citymama
08-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Get the old fashioned cast iron (ie black) cookware rather than enameled le creuset style. Ikea used to sell inexpensI've cast iron (we bought a skillet a couple of years ago) but I don't know if they still do. Otherwise look at cookware places like Sur la Table and W&S.

Tondi G
08-10-2012, 02:14 AM
[QUOTE=JustMe;3570278]Thanks everyone.

I would get some Lodge Brand cast iron. just an fyi ... cast iron pans are very heavy!
http://www.lodgemfg.com/Logic-product.asp

When I was borderline anemic while pregnant I remember someone saying that sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds are rich in iron.

this site seems to have some good info

http://www.ironrichfood.org/

brittone2
08-10-2012, 07:22 AM

I was anemic in my third pregnancy (never had an issue in my other two pregnancies). I cook with cast iron a ton (my cast iron is pretty much my regular daily go-to, and I have numerous pieces of it), but it didn't help. Obviously pregnancy is a special circumstance medically, so perhaps that's why it didn't help. I had success with Floradix.

Agree with the calcium interfering.

o_mom
08-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks everyone.

You can get Lodge brand cast iron at Target.

Not sure on the B-vitamins. It looks like molasses do have b-vitamins, but everything I pull up on Google says that they are water soluble and excess amounts should be eliminated unless you have liver or kidney issues.

oneplustwo
08-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Another vote for cooking with cast iron to boost iron levels. The Lodge Logic pre-seasoned pans are pretty easy to find; Amazon often has good prices.

I have used Floradix with great success. They even make a gluten/wheat-free version.

DD used to have low iron levels, so I started using cast iron more, switched her to a vitamin with higher iron levels (Schiff's Children's Chewable Multis, which have 9 mg iron in each tablet [dosage is 1 tablet for kids under 4 and 2 tablets for older kids] but they have calcium carbonate), added in more leafy greens and fortified cereals, and in her case upped red meat (I know not an option for you).

citymama
08-10-2012, 11:06 AM
I was anemic in my third pregnancy (never had an issue in my other two pregnancies). I cook with cast iron a ton (my cast iron is pretty much my regular daily go-to, and I have numerous pieces of it), but it didn't help. Obviously pregnancy is a special circumstance medically, so perhaps that's why it didn't help. I had success with Floradix.

Agree with the calcium interfering.

Oh, interesting. I was anemic as a teenager but have astoundingly good levels now despite eating zero meat, fish, etc. As I said, I do eat a LOT of cruciferous (green/yellow leafy) vegetables, and lentils/beans several times a week. My kids are milk hounds and I worry about their iron intake but they have both tested quite well on iron. I attribute it to cast iron all around, but maybe it's all the chard and cauliflower!

brittone2
08-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Oh, interesting. I was anemic as a teenager but have astoundingly good levels now despite eating zero meat, fish, etc. As I said, I do eat a LOT of cruciferous (green/yellow leafy) vegetables, and lentils/beans several times a week. My kids are milk hounds and I worry about their iron intake but they have both tested quite well on iron. I attribute it to cast iron all around, but maybe it's all the chard and cauliflower!
I eat a lot of those too LOL. And heme sources of iron. But like I said, I realize pregnancy is kind of a special circumstance with respect to anemia.

I was a veg for years and never had a problem with my iron levels during that time. It was *just* my third pregnancy.

My parents did use cast iron here and there when I was growing up...a few times a week at least.

wellyes
08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
For Floradix, is the pill as good as the liquid?

brittone2
08-10-2012, 11:15 AM
For Floradix, is the pill as good as the liquid?
I don't know much about it. I know I've seen people say the liquid tastes gross, but I thought it tasted totally fine :shrug:

wellyes
08-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Update - bought the liquid & DD likes it. Whew!

JustMe
08-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Glad the liquid works for your dd, wellyes.

Update for us--we have Shopko stores here, and while there looking at other things I checked out their vitamins. They had kids' chewable vitamins with iron that did not have calcium. I am going to try them with dd and see how they do; we will have her blood re-checked around Nov. I am resistant to the liquid/iron only because she is already taking other supplements, so I just don't want her to have to take too many separate things. We'll see how it goes.

NCGrandma
08-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Update - bought the liquid & DD likes it. Whew!

I'm not familiar with this brand, but when my DD was a baby (many years ago) we had to give her iron drops. It was almost impossible not to spill or have a little bit spit out. As a result, almost all her baby clothes had rust stains!!

wellyes
08-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Yes iron stains everything - including teeth (temporarily ). I also personally don't like the metallic taste ....actually, it tastes a little like blood to me. BUT I do think it's worth it due to the high absorption rate.