PDA

View Full Version : Dh rear ended tonight- headache- wwyd?

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Dh was stopped in rush hour traffic today and someone hit him. Dh estimates the other guy was going 20-30mph. He was able to drive home, car barely has any damage, air bags didn't deploy- really a minor accident. His neck was a smidge sore at first but ok. 4 hours later, I can tell he doesn't feel well and his head hurts. He doesn't have any other concussion symptoms though. What should I be on the lookout for? I have the Mayo Clinic info but I'd love any btdt advice. Thanks!

babyonway
08-09-2012, 10:33 PM
I don't have any BTDT or advice but I am so sorry for your DH. And sorry your family has to deal with that inconvenience of a minor accident.

marymoo86
08-09-2012, 10:38 PM
I was directly hit in the passenger side and hit the piece where the seatbelt is deployed. Very minor concussion and evaluated at ER. Said to take it easy. Most likely will just need to rest for a while.

Was it a side/ride/front impact?

Giantbear
08-09-2012, 10:38 PM
glass eyed look, nauseous, persistent headache, lack of balance, feeling dizzy,double vision. As for the aches and pains, tomorrow is when they will hit, he might want to go to the dr to get checked out, 20-30 mph is not a minor accident.

AngB
08-09-2012, 10:42 PM
I would probably make him go in, to at least have his pain documented medically for insurance purposes.

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Hit from directly behind.

I'll keep an eye on him.

waitingforgrace
08-09-2012, 10:51 PM
That stinks. 2 years ago I was stopped at a red light and a pickup truck rear ended me going 45-50 mph. He was texting and never even noticed the light was red. I went to the hospital as a precaution but other than being really sore for 3-4 days I was fine.

The soreness will be worse tomorrow, he'll want to take something tonight for pain even if it's not that bad. He may need to see a doctor for a muscle relaxant, I got really stiff.

He may want to see his doctor tomorrow or urgent care. But IME they aren't going to do anything unless he's experiencing nausea, dizziness, etc. symptoms I'm sure are listed on mayo clinic. if he's not feeling better in a few days he should definitely be seen.

Hope he feels better fast.

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks all for the kind thoughts!

AngelaS
08-09-2012, 11:02 PM
I was rear ended a few years ago and started seeing a chiropractor the next day. I have no residual problems.

California
08-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Personally learned the hard way that its best to see a doctor right away, and to get a referral for some sessions with a physical therapist. The therapist will help him relax the stiff muscles and keep his posture correct. He/she will also help blood flow to the strained muscles, which helps with healing.

I delayed seeing a physical therapist. My neck pain spread to my shoulders, then to my back, and finally I went in. They knew exactly what was going on with me because they saw cases like mine all the time. All the pain I was in stemmed from neck strain from being rear ended. Go in early- easy fix. Go in later, three months of physical therapy 2 to 3x a week.

crl
08-10-2012, 12:58 AM
I am so sorry. I would have him go in. Both for insurance purposes and to make sure he gets whatever treatment he might need right away.

My dh tripped and fell over a gopher hole playing baseball in the field next to our unit. He waited three days to go in, turns out he had a concussion! And was ordered to stay home from work for a few days and to be super careful not to repeat anytime soon.

Catherine

hillview
08-10-2012, 06:45 AM
How is he now?

brittone2
08-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Agree with having him seen so it is documented in case it becomes an issue. (eta: if it ends up being nothing, it is a pain to get it documented, but I'd say the upside of having it on record outweighs the inconvenience. If you need it, you'll really need it, so it is wise IMO to get it on record).

Ditto the post about considering PT if he's not feeling better tomorrow. In a situation like a PP described, patients can start guarding their muscles, and it becomes an increasingly difficult cycle to break. They start losing more and more range of motion, may start with more spasms, etc.

Beth24
08-10-2012, 10:49 AM
How's he feeling today Beth?

SnuggleBuggles
08-10-2012, 10:56 AM
He's feeling ok, just stiff. Thanks!

brittone2
08-10-2012, 10:58 AM
He's feeling ok, just stiff. Thanks!
Stiff can escalate. Just keep an eye on it if he doesn't want to get it checked :hug: (I think he should though!).

AnnieW625
08-10-2012, 12:18 PM
I would have him checked out.

I was hit on the freeway by someone going 55 mph or so mph and I was at a dead stop when she hit me. I felt fine for about 48 hrs. and then felt really sore. I just went to the dr. and was fine with some high strength ibuprofen for a couple of days, but yeah just want to say he could get worse before he feels better.