PDA

View Full Version : Babysitter....is this weird?

DietCokeLover
08-09-2012, 11:29 PM
DH and I went to a wedding tonight and had a sitter and she brought a friend. When we got home, the friend was playing with my iPad. Would you think this was odd? It would never occur to me to pick up someone's iPad and start playing on it.

maydaymommy
08-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Yes!! Weird.

At times we have told a familar sitter it's ok to use our family laptop & we have set sitters with their own laptops up on our network.

Would never expect someone to use a computer w/out asking. And, somehow an iPad seems even more personal.

queenmama
08-09-2012, 11:39 PM
I would be super annoyed! Maybe less if it was your sitter, but either way, weird unless you gave permission.

wellyes
08-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Very unprofessional but not really unexpected. Think of it like a play station ....a service provider shouldn't use it, but a bored kid would be very tempted

I doubt she meant to invade your privacy but iPads are very personal. Instant access to my email and Facebook. And journal. And photos. And Amazon account with credit card automatically billed.

If the friend didn't apologize or look chastened I would say something to the sitter. Or just not leave it out next time. Like I said, I bet she just thought of it as a toy, intentions were probably fine.

crl
08-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Yes, weird. And annoying.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Very unprofessional but not really unexpected. Think of it like a play station ....a service provider shouldn't use it, but a bored kid would be very tempted

I doubt she meant to invade your privacy but iPads are very personal. Instant access to my email and Facebook. And journal. And photos. And Amazon account with credit card automatically billed.

If the friend didn't apologize or look chastened I would say something to the sitter. Or just not leave it out next time. Like I said, I bet she just thought of it as a toy, intentions were probably fine.

:yeahthat: eta- "ooh! An iPad! I've always wanted to play with one!" (I know they aren't novel to a lot of you but I know I'd be tempted too b/c they are so neat!)

goldenpig
08-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Did you pre-approve her bringing her friend? I would definitely be upset about them using your iPad without asking, but I think if she brought a friend uninvited into your house that would bug me even more!

♥ms.pacman♥
08-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Did you pre-approve her bringing her friend? I would definitely be upset about them using your iPad without asking, but I think if she brought a friend uninvited into your house that would bug me even more!

:yeahthat:

yeah, that would be the first thing that would have jumped out at me too.

HannaAddict
08-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Add a code if it's personal and left out. If left out in plain view, not as weird and she didn't hide that she looked at it. Ours has so much entertainment and Internet access and kids' stuff that we tell our sitter the code so kids can use it. Code is to limit kids.

DietCokeLover
08-10-2012, 08:03 AM

Yes, I knew about the friend coming ahead of time. I was ok with that.

waitingforgrace
08-10-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't think it's that weird if it was out in the open. I wouldn't be happy about it which is why I put it in a drawer when we have a sitter.

wendmatt
08-10-2012, 08:22 AM
No not weird really, kids are so plugged in they wouldn't think twice about it being an issue if it was out there.

mariza
08-10-2012, 08:35 AM
No not wierd really, kids are so plugged in they wouldn't think twice about it being an issue if it was out there.

I agree with this. I wouldn't like it, but I put mine away if I have someone around that I don't want using it. I see where you would think its weird, I totally get why you are annoyed! But as PP said kid are so "connected" that to her it was probably no different than if you left a Monopoly game on the table.

wellyes
08-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Just want to add, I once had to use my MIL's ipad without asking (just for a minute or two) and I felt really weird about it. MIL has used mine but always asks first, even though I've given her "sure, anytime" permission. But I do think it's totally a generational thing, and younger people don't have the same boundaries as those of us who grew up in a pre-online world. In other words, weird if she was 35, much less weird if she was under 20.

vonfirmath
08-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Yes!! Weird.

At times we have told a familar sitter it's ok to use our family laptop & we have set sitters with their own laptops up on our network.

Would never expect someone to use a computer w/out asking. And, somehow an iPad seems even more personal.

See, I wouldn't mind someone using a computer in the main area without asking. I would mind them going back into the Master's bedroom/fishing through my purse/backpack/etc to get it.

When I'm at a friend's house, I certainly don't ask before picking up a book to read or playing with any other toy they have out on the table, etc. I wouldn't expect someone coming over to my house to do it either.

alexsmommy
08-10-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't think it's that weird if it was out in the open. I wouldn't be happy about it which is why I put it in a drawer when we have a sitter.

Different generation. Their etitquette regarding electronics is different. So if it was out in the open and unlocked, then I understand how she saw it as fair game. I sometimes unlock mine for the kids to play without me having to keep unlocking it if htey get up for some reason, but otherwise I keep it locked.

Pennylane
08-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I think it is totally weird. I would never think to use it without permission. I do agree with PP's though about it being a generational thing.

Ann

MaiseyDog
08-10-2012, 11:21 AM
If it was left out in the open in public space I wouldn't think it was weird. Now if the friend had gone into my bedroom to get it, I would think that was weird.

AnnieW625
08-10-2012, 12:03 PM
If it was left out in the open in public space I wouldn't think it was weird. Now if the friend had gone into my bedroom to get it, I would think that was weird.

Yeahthat, plus what Wellyes said above about the technology thing. I tell our sitters they are more than happy to use our computer when they are over, but I always leave it on DD1's log in, and 99% of the time DD1 would be the one using the computer anyways.

TwinFoxes
08-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm another "not weird" camp, as long as it was out in the open. But I can see why it could bug someone. It's almost like back in the day when people had expensive stereos and huge record collections. Some of them would be fine with the sitter using it, others might say "don't touch my stereo".

BabbyO
08-10-2012, 01:56 PM

This is exactly what I was thinking.

mackmama
08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I would not be ok with a babysitter bringing an unapproved friend. I would be annoyed with either using our computer/iPad without permission.

Momit
08-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I agree that it's likely a generational thing. I would find it odd but I can understand how a teen/20-something wouldn't IF it had been left out in the open. It's probably like leafing through a magazine on the coffee table to her. If you put it away and they got it out, I would think that was very inappropriate.

hillview
08-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Is it possible the kids were playing a game and then the sitter friend picked it up from there?

strollerqueen
08-12-2012, 11:34 PM
No not weird really, kids are so plugged in they wouldn't think twice about it being an issue if it was out there.
:yeahthat: If our iPad is sitting on the counter, any kid at our house will just pick it up and start playing with it. They don't even think to ask. They will do the same thing with my iPhone, too. Which is why I always try not to leave it lying around.