PDA

View Full Version : Best Laptop or Tablet for a Toddler?

PMJ
08-10-2012, 09:06 AM
We want to buy DD some type of electronic device to encourage her independence. Something w/ kids' games, educational things would be great.

I've not done any research yet, but was thinking maybe a small tablet or android.

What would you all recommend?

thanks!

AnnieW625
08-10-2012, 09:08 AM
We don't have one, but the Leapsters all seem to be really popular. There are a couple of different models. I am not a fan of giving kids their own expensive electronic items to be used as their own (except I will say our friend's 4 yr. old who is autistic does amazing things with the Ipad) especially when they most likely aren't tied down to anything and can walk around with it.

vonfirmath
08-10-2012, 09:37 AM
We got DS a Leapster2 at age 3 and 2 games and he picked it up rapidly. The Leapster2 started working inconsistently this summer so we just got him a leappad2 at his 5th birthday. He's LOVING that. Though I'm unsure how it would work for a 3 year old. Maybe go to a Toys R Us and let him play on the stock one and see how the child does?

crl
08-10-2012, 09:39 AM
My two year old can easily run my iPad. They are expensive, but super easy to use and flexible for lots of purposes.

Catherine

BabyBearsMom
08-10-2012, 09:41 AM
My two year old uses my DH's old iPad (1st generation) in an otterbox case. They have tons of apps and she loves it. I wouldn't say it fosters independence though because there is a lot of "Mommy! Come see!"

codex57
08-10-2012, 12:36 PM
iPad. Hands down.

That said, I'd wait a month and see if Apple announces a mini iPad.