PDA

View Full Version : How much to pay for another mom to have my kids 30 min before school?

JustMe
08-10-2012, 12:42 PM
The dcs' school starts really late. Last year I was able to work this out wih my job, but not this year. There is on-site childcare, but its expensive and a rip off for 30 min/day. I posted on the school's e-mail group asking if anyone had any ideas. I got an e-mail back from another mom stating that she lives right by the school and seeing if she could help me out.

This would mean I would drop my kids off about 30 min before school starts and she would be walking my 2 kids over with her 2 kids about 20 min later. What should I offer to pay her? Although the going rate comes to mind, I had specifically mentioned affordability in my post...and there is no exact going rate around here. Should I just ask her what she has in mind?

ha98ed14
08-10-2012, 12:46 PM
If you are dropping them off ready-to-go, I'd offer $50/week and see what she says. Since she's going there anyway, it doesn't seem like it should be that much of a hassle. If you need her to make sure they eat/finish their on-the-go breakfast or finish homework, then I would offer more.

lhafer
08-10-2012, 12:49 PM
If all she's doing is walking your kids to the school and they are under her care for ~30min/day x 5 days/week - I think I would offer $50/week. $10 per day for the week. And that's probably being a little generous if it's even less than 30 minutes a day. Around here going rate for sitters are $10-12/hr. So I figured $5/hr/child would suffice.

wendibird22
08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
My DD1 is going to a mom's house for 1hr before school and 1 hr after school. She's asking $50 per week. We are in a LCOL area.

MelissaTC
08-10-2012, 01:11 PM
If all she's doing is walking your kids to the school and they are under her care for ~30min/day x 5 days/week - I think I would offer $50/week. $10 per day for the week. And that's probably being a little generous if it's even less than 30 minutes a day. Around here going rate for sitters are $10-12/hr. So I figured $5/hr/child would suffice.

That was first thought as well. $50 a week would make it worth her time. It would make it worth mine!

misshollygolightly
08-10-2012, 01:11 PM
We live in a low COL area so maybe my perspective is skewed (also, my kids are young so I haven't been in this situation before), but I'd offer $35/week (which seems about right to me, compared to babysitting rates). This is assuming she won't be feeding them breakfast or doing other really hands-on, involved babysitting (helping with homework, whatever). I'm imagining that she'll probably park them in front of the TV or set them up at the table with paper and crayons for the 15 minutes until she's ready to walk out the door.

I'm also thinking that you'll pay her this weekly rate even if your kids are sick and unable to go to school, and that you'll be prepared to go in late to work (or make other arrangements) at a moment's notice if she or her kids are sick.

$50/week seems very generous to me, and (at least for my family) it would add up very quickly over the course of the school year. But then again, she's really helping you out, and if $50/week is still well under what the onsite childcare costs, then maybe go with that. But remember that she won't be as reliable or consistent as onsite childcare (she'll occasionally cancel when her kids are sick or she's out of town, etc.).

wendmatt
08-10-2012, 01:14 PM
gosh, it's hard because that's $200 a month which is a lot of money for only 30 mins. But I guess it is 2 kids and you have to pay for convenience. I would ask her what she thinks, and if it's higher than $50, then you can bargain her down, if it's lower than that you'll be happy.

acmom
08-10-2012, 01:27 PM
I think $50 sounds about right. I have considered doing this myself and that price would be ok with me. Too much less though and it wouldn't be worth it to me. Even though I am here and doing the typical am stuff, it would be adding 2 kids into the morning routine, and depending on how many kids total, personalities and ages, it could make it a lot more hectic with getting everyone ready to go with stuff and out the door on time!

JustMe
08-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! It is hard to know what is fair/worth it for her/doable. It is a pretty LCOL here, as is the school. She would not need to help with homework, give them breakfast, etc. They would probably be pretty angelic for that half hour. OTOH, I can see how having 2 extra kids around in the morning is significant! $200/month would be considered a lot around here, and that's what I would pay for the expensive on-site childcare program that would allow me to drop the kids off much earlier with no worries that they are sick, etc. I specifically said in my post to the school's group that I could not afford the on-site childcqre; although given that she is a SAHM she may not know the cost of that program.

misshollygolightly
08-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! It is hard to know what is fair/worth it for her/doable. It is a pretty LCOL here, as is the school. She would not need to help with homework, give them breakfast, etc. They would probably be pretty angelic for that half hour. OTOH, I can see how having 2 extra kids around in the morning is significant! $200/month would be considered a lot around here, and that's what I would pay for the expensive on-site childcare program that would allow me to drop the kids off much earlier with no worries that they are sick, etc.

In that case, I would offer $30-35/week and see if that's acceptable to her. If not, she'll tell you! I think that's a reasonable amount given the LCOL and the fact that she'll be less reliable/convenient than the childcare program.

ha98ed14
08-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! It is hard to know what is fair/worth it for her/doable. It is a pretty LCOL here, as is the school. She would not need to help with homework, give them breakfast, etc. They would probably be pretty angelic for that half hour. OTOH, I can see how having 2 extra kids around in the morning is significant! $200/month would be considered a lot around here, and that's what I would pay for the expensive on-site childcare program that would allow me to drop the kids off much earlier with no worries that they are sick, etc.

You know, I have had similar thoughts that in-home care should be less expensive than on-site school before/after care, but it isn't. I'm going to pay $500/mo for on-site childcare, but it would run me nearly as much with an in-home provider ($480), and for the extra $20/mo, I like the fact that DD never leaves the school grounds. It's run by the school district so they will follow the health and welfare type guidelines that daycare centers do. I don't have to worry about possible creepy family members being around DD. There's no good (cheap!) solution.Other people must make piles of moolah. I cannot imagine paying $1000/mo for daycare for 2 kids. I know they do it, but wow that feels like a lot of money.

JustMe
08-10-2012, 02:47 PM
You know, I have had similar thoughts that in-home care should be less expensive than on-site school before/after care, but it isn't. .

Yes, but in my post to the school's group, I said that I could not afford the on-site program...I guess I should just e-mail her and see what she was thinking.

MMMommy
08-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I think $50 per week seems reasonable and fair. Two kids are two extra bodies to watch over and walk to school. But if it is that much for the onsite school care (which you say has longer care), then most definitely I would put that $200 per month toward the school one. $10 per day seems reasonable for that. Anything less might not be worth it to the SAHM. Since that is already broken down to $5 per kid per day.

elektra
08-10-2012, 03:06 PM
I live directly across from the elementary school and if all I had to do was turn on some cartoons for two extra kids who sat quietly on the couch while the rest of us scrambled to get ready, followed by all of us walking out the door together, I would not expect more than $20 a week myself.

Maybe there are too many differences in the situations but $200/month just seems like a lot. I think $80-$100 is fine and I would feel bad asking for more than that.

mominma
08-10-2012, 03:10 PM
I think the $50 is a bit high for 30 minutes, doing the math that is $10 per hour per kid. Also, by paying weekly you will have some months with 5 weeks. I would talk to her and try to come up with a monthly amount that might sound more attractive than a weekly amount.

ett
08-10-2012, 03:29 PM
I think the $50 is a bit high for 30 minutes, doing the math that is $10 per hour per kid. Also, by paying weekly you will have some months with 5 weeks. I would talk to her and try to come up with a monthly amount that might sound more attractive than a weekly amount.

:yeahthat: I'm in a HCOL area and agree that $50/week is high for what you are describing.

MamaMolly
08-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Perhaps you could offer her $100 a month? That is half of what the school AM care costs, and (forgive me for being tacky, but heck, you are looking to save here!) offering $100 a months just sounds better than $25 a week. :bag

ha98ed14
08-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Yes, but in my post to the school's group, I said that I could not afford the on-site program...I guess I should just e-mail her and see what she was thinking.

Well then she knows your situation. So just write and offer the 100 per month and see what she says. That's half the cost of the school one, so it's reasonable since you said upfront you needed to save money. I hope she comes through!

csnoop
08-10-2012, 04:16 PM
If I was watching your kids in this situation, I would not expect to get pay anything. Maybe I just naive.... but it's not much trouble for this mom. I would imagine in the 20 mins she is actually watching your kids, she is frantically trying to get stuff ready for the kids to leave the house. I would though get her a very nice holiday present.

CC

hillview
08-10-2012, 06:59 PM
I'd ask her. It might be fine for $20-25 a week. In our (HCOL) area $50 a week would be right.

MMMommy
08-10-2012, 10:16 PM
If I was watching your kids in this situation, I would not expect to get pay anything. Maybe I just naive.... but it's not much trouble for this mom. I would imagine in the 20 mins she is actually watching your kids, she is frantically trying to get stuff ready for the kids to leave the house. I would though get her a very nice holiday present.

CC

I don't think OP and the mom who offered are good friends or really know each other. It sounds like OP posted to the school's mass email and this mom replied. So I wouldn't expect this mom to do it completely for free.

MMMommy
08-10-2012, 10:21 PM
If $50/week is too costly I would just ask the mom what amount she has in mind. Since she knows you think the onsite one is too costly, she will likely throw out a lower number anyways. Maybe her idea will be considerably less. Doesn't hurt to ask.

TwinFoxes
08-10-2012, 10:23 PM

CC

I think OP basically posted a help wanted ad, so I doubt the other mom (a stranger) is expecting to do it for free.

OP, I would have said $50/week, but since that's what you said you didn't want to pay, $35 seems ok. You have to make it worth her time. But I've only lived in HCOL areas, so maybe my viewpoint is skewed.

AngB
08-11-2012, 12:35 AM
I agree with offering $100 a month and see what she thinks. Around here (lcol), in home daycare for about 50+ hours a week is around $200 a week max (so about $4 or less an hour a child. Cut it in half for half an hour, but times 2 kids, so still basically $4 an hour x 5 days a week, $20 a week.)

My guess is there won't really be very much difference for the morning care to have 1 extra kid vs. 2, considering they will be dropped off and pretty much ready to go to school

Also, I think for anything less than half of what you would pay for the school program, you aren't really saving enough money to make it worth the inconveniences for you (if they are sick, etc.)

California
08-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Does the professional onsite program cost $200 per child, or $200 for both kids? If it's just $100 per kid that's definitely lower than what's charged in my area!

I would probably go with a slightly lower amount that you have the budget for. Then use the rest of your budget to surprise her with random small "gratitude gifts" that let her know you appreciate her. That'll help keep her thinking this is a good gig.

JustMe
08-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks, everyone! The on-site program would be $90/per kid for a total of $180/month. I will probably e-mail to see what she had in mind. Developed a fever tonight, so will let it go until I feel better and then decide.

sunnyside
08-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Good luck and I hope you feel better! Tough to be a single mommy AND sick. Hugs.