PDA

View Full Version : How to get toddler hair to grow?

mackmama
08-10-2012, 01:57 PM
As a S/O to my own thread, DC is 19mo and has very little hair. Any tips to help make it grow? I massage DC's scalp when shampooing thinking it might help the hair follicles. I'll also ask the pedi at our next appt.

chottumommy
08-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Massage with oil (coconut is good) before every bath. Also if you're open to it, shave his head. It will grow back thicker, not sure how much though.

smiles33
08-10-2012, 02:13 PM
LOL. I wish I knew the answer! DD1's hair didn't grow longer than a pixie cut until she was 4 (FOUR!!!) and she NEVER had a haircut. SIL was the same way.

Even now, DD1 has a long bob that barely touches her shoulders. DD2's hair grew "faster" than DD1, but even so, she has shoulder-length hair at 3 whereas I see a ton of girls the same age with hair down to the middle of their back (or longer!).

ETA: SIL has long thick beautiful hair now and has donated to Locks of Love 3 or 4 times (after growing it down to the small of her back!), so she definitely didn't have any lasting effects from the early years of having thin hair that never grew.

Momit
08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
My DS had very little hair at that age, then by 2 it was pretty noticeable. He was >2.5 before he had his first haircut. Now it seems like he needs one once a month and he has beautiful hair. Just wanted to say that there is hope for the little baldies!

mom3boys
08-10-2012, 02:41 PM
I think it is mostly genetic so not sure how much you can do to help. My cousin has 3 daughters and it took them FOREVER to get their hair. The oldest is almost 6 and now has long, beautiful hair. The 3.5 year old's hair is in now but still short, well above her shoulders, and the toddler (about 18 mos) has almost no hair. My cousin has done a lot of hats with the girls, since at a certain point it looked "odd" to have a little girl with such short/thin hair. Sorry to impart bad news but the good news is it probably will grown in just fine eventually.

BabyBearsMom
08-10-2012, 03:28 PM
DD1's hair was still wispy at 16 months but is thick now at 28 months. According to my mom, I was bald like a tweety bird until I was 2. I have lots of hair now.

ha98ed14
08-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Also if you're open to it, shave his head. It will grow back thicker, not sure how much though.

Sorry, but this is an old wives tale. My BIL shaved off all my nephews gorgeous curls and now he looks like he just got out of prison.

mackmama
08-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Sounds like we just need to wait it out. Good to know it doesn't necessarily mean thin/short hair long-term though.

Snow mom
08-10-2012, 05:55 PM
My mom tells me I was bald until I was 2 and my DD was essentially the same. I called it BBS (bald baby syndrome or blond baby syndrome as I've noticed this is pretty common with fair colored babies). DD had her hair cut for the first time a bit before her 3rd birthday and now (at 3.5) has had her hair cut twice. Mainly I'm trying to get it evened out a bit because the front grew in much slower than the back. I don't think there is anything that you can do to make hair grow faster or thicker.

fortato
08-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Have you checked out Rogaine or plugs?

queenmama
08-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Have you checked out Rogaine or plugs?

Bahaha!

Piglet
08-10-2012, 08:32 PM
DD's hair grew super slowly, and is still on the thin side. DH took the prize though - he got his first haircut at age 6 because his younger brother was getting one and he was sad that he couldn't have one.