PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Skype

randomkid
08-10-2012, 08:54 PM
DD's best friend moved to another state and they want to "video chat" - so cute! We don't have any long distance family anymore, so we have never done this. If all we want to do is let the girls talk and see each other on the computer, will the free version of Skype be sufficient?

truly scrumptious
08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Yes the free version works great for computer to computer video chatting (or even on a smart phone or iPad). You only need to pay for advanced functions like group video chats, using Skype to call phones etc. We use Skype a lot for the kiddos to stay in touch with grandparents. Great way for them to stay familiar with faces AND voices.

brittone2
08-10-2012, 09:19 PM
We occasionally skype with my parents, or more often with DH when he's traveling. It is great. We just use the free version.

acmom
08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
We have used the free version of Skype a lot with both grandparents and DD's old friends after we moved last year. Works great and she loves seeing her old friends!

okinawama
08-10-2012, 10:12 PM
We us Skype daily to talk to friends and family around the world. We love it. We've had issues with picture clarity or the occasional dropped call, but overall, it's excellent and allows my kids to have a much closer relationship with family than they'd ever have otherwise.

If you're both apple users we've found facetime to be excellent as well!