PDA

View Full Version : Quick iPad help?

Mikey0709
08-11-2012, 09:04 AM
I have my email set up....but also frequently let my younger kids use the iPad. Any way to lock or put an email code so they can't easily get into it? I'm afraid they're going to send email from me or delete something important!

I have to say up to this point I don't have restrictions set up...but I need to! If anyone can give me a quick parental control lesson it would be soooo appreciated!

I have no idea how to lock email?

Please let me know how you all have your iPads childproofed!

crl
08-11-2012, 09:23 AM
I turn on airplane mode in settings to prevent the toddler from sending email.

Catherine

Jupiter
08-11-2012, 09:26 AM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=can%20you%20lock%20email%20on%20ipad&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CGMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fus%2Fapp%2Fmai l-locker-keep-your-mail%2Fid449844544%3Fmt%3D8&ei=rFwmUI-mDK_l6gGp8YHYCw&usg=AFQjCNHrbk9pY_131mvXocetOB7KItmb8g

Try this. It's mail locker for the iPhone. I did see others but this was free. Search mail lock in iPad if you want to see whatelse is out there.

Mikey0709
08-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Thank u both! I never knew what airplane setting was? And the mail lock app is just what I need!!??

Jupiter
08-11-2012, 09:49 AM
The airplane mode turns of the wifi, which means if you are using netflix or something like that it won't work. Let me know if the mail lock thing works.

3isEnough
08-11-2012, 12:15 PM
In airplane mode the kids can still mess with email. They can delete and send, the sent email will just go into your outbox and sit there until you're connected to the network again. I haven't looked at any apps that address what OP is asking to do, but just wanted to point out that airplane mode won't really protect against it.

brgnmom
08-11-2012, 01:20 PM
New iPad convert here... I just go into Settings and click on the "mail, contacts, calendar" subgroup heading on the left side & I delete my xyz email account after every use by clicking on the particular account on the right side. It prevents my dc or anyone else using my iPad to have access to my email accounts.

NCGrandma
08-11-2012, 02:08 PM
New iPad convert here... I just go into Settings and click on the "mail, contacts, calendar" subgroup heading on the left side & I delete my xyz email account after every use by clicking on the particular account on the right side. It prevents my dc or anyone else using my iPad to have access to my email accounts.

Do you really mean "delete" the account (so you'd have to re-enter all the settings, etc, every time you want to use it again) or just turn it off? If it's turned off, it doesn't show up in the Mail app, although a sophisticated user could also turn it back on. Maybe my main email account has more complicated settings than some, but I would find it a real hassle to delete and recreate it often.

brgnmom
08-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Do you really mean "delete" the account (so you'd have to re-enter all the settings, etc, every time you want to use it again) or just turn it off? If it's turned off, it doesn't show up in the Mail app, although a sophisticated user could also turn it back on. Maybe my main email account has more complicated settings than some, but I would find it a real hassle to delete and recreate it often.

I just log onto my email account w/ my user ID and password, and then I'll "delete" the account so that it doesn't show up at all if my DC were to press the email icon. It's an extra step but I do it before my kids play with the iPad and if I need to ensure that they don't accidentally get into my email account. An employee at the apple store told me that this was the foolproof way to ensure that someone else using my iPad wouldn't have access to my email accounts - but perhaps an app will be developed soon to do that automatically w/o having to go through this method.

ETA - when I "delete" the e.g., yahoo email account, I don't have to re-enter all the settings... it's just a simple email log-in/password type of step that I need to input when I want to log back into that particular email account, which isn't very time-consuming.