PDA

View Full Version : Newest historical American Girl...

SASM
08-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Not sure if this is considered a spoiler for some but thought I'd share, just in case someone might be interested... :)

I just found out from a friend that the newest American Girl doll is set to be released on September 4th! Her name is Caroline Abbott and her story, revolving around the War of 1812, shipbuilding, and sailing, is set in Sackets Harbor, NY!! I am quite excited, as I grew up upstate NY!! Cannot wait to read the stories to my children!!

The link below also describes a future video contest: :)
http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20120804/CURR04/708049977/

AngelaS
08-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Oh my, she's pretty. But that hair's gonna be a pain to keep looking that nice!

KrisM
08-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Here is a video about her, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Swg9iv9fvw&feature=player_embedded

swrc00
08-11-2012, 06:15 PM
I love it!!! If only I had a little girl.

SASM
08-11-2012, 10:21 PM
You can still get it for YOU! After 8 mos stored in my closet, I finally whipped out MY Kanani doll. :) Granted, I played with it with my DDs, however, I bought it for ME! :)

KrisM
08-11-2012, 10:40 PM
DD and my SIL play dolls together. SIL has Kit and someone else.

vonfirmath
08-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Is the Ruth doll going to be retired?

katydid1971
08-19-2012, 04:00 AM
Is the Ruth doll going to be retired?
No I think Molly will be the next retired. She is one of the earliest dolls.

I love the boat. I think DD needs it for the AG girl she doesn't even have yet :bag

Seitvonzu
08-19-2012, 03:15 PM
katydid-- of course she does! :) if it helps any-- i feel like the bigger, more expensive "accessories (i.e. furniture) often gets retired very quickly and goes for big bucks on the secondary market. :)

so if it doesn't end up working for you- it could pad the college fund? :)

just a thought....

(this is what i told myself as a waited for the "limited edition" patio furniture for my cecile to be pulled from the back of the store last week... of course, when AG things come in this house, they don't often leave *sigh*)

Seitvonzu
08-19-2012, 03:22 PM
i'm not sure about them retiring molly...that will mean NONE of the original dolls will be left :( that's kinda sad to me, even if molly was my least favorite. (i have nearly the whole samantha collection, and ordered all the kirsten stuff i could in a panic before retirement)

i particularly LOVE molly's new turquoise dotted dress. DD's easter dress was similar this year and it's just so sweet. i didn't buy it when we were at AG this week because i was already getting a ton of stuff (patio furniture, marie graces' summer dress, a bitty item for DD, a souvenir d.c. shirt, and the cafe food (to get the pink lemonade for a gift for a friend and didn't even end up using it). we also had my felicity's hair done and splurged on a "spa" treatment... (if you did this you got a robe/slippers/cucumber stickers, etc to take home and DD was into that... i was going to have her ears pierced but i chickened out at the last moment, those holes are BIG)

katydid1971
08-19-2012, 07:17 PM
i'm not sure about them retiring molly...that will mean NONE of the original dolls will be left :( that's kinda sad to me, even if molly was my least favorite. (i have nearly the whole samantha collection, and ordered all the kirsten stuff i could in a panic before retirement)

I'm only guessing Molly because she is the oldest doll not retired. :shake: I also ordered everything for Kirsten when she was retired. DH is Swedish and I felt DD needed her. At the time DD was only a few months old :bag
For DD's 5th birthday I'm thinking we need to take a trip to the AG store in Seattle.

KrisM
09-04-2012, 07:31 AM
It's all up online now. Cute stuff!

Some new things for the non-historical dolls, too. The gingerbread house is cute, but I can't believe it's $58! http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/item/id/212538/ctc/SI

newnana
09-04-2012, 09:50 AM
It's all up online now. Cute stuff!

Some new things for the non-historical dolls, too. The gingerbread house is cute, but I can't believe it's $58! http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/item/id/212538/ctc/SI

It IS super cute stuff.

DD saw the adorable gingerbread house kit and commented how awesome it was. She then looked down at the price and her eyes got HUGE. She said, "Mom, I think that's too much. " Hooray! Having her buy her own doll paid off!

So we're trying to figure out how we can make it at home. Or a reasonable proximity. She also fell in love with Rebecca's bed.

Blue Hydrangea
09-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Ok, someone please help me! My sweet DD is only 4 months old, so we're not even close to world of dolls yet, let alone AG. However, DD's name is Caroline, and she has blond hair! I think it would be so great to get her this doll, but what should I do?

Do the historical dolls stay around for a while, or do I need to buy her now while I have the chance and store her away for years in hopes that my own Caroline will be into AG dolls when she's older?

KrisM
09-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Ok, someone please help me! My sweet DD is only 4 months old, so we're not even close to world of dolls yet, let alone AG. However, DD's name is Caroline, and she has blond hair! I think it would be so great to get her this doll, but what should I do?

Do the historical dolls stay around for a while, or do I need to buy her now while I have the chance and store her away for years in hopes that my own Caroline will be into AG dolls when she's older?

She'll stay a while for sure. I'm not a super AG historian or anything, but I believe there were relatively few historical dolls 'retired' and those were the ones that came out in the 80s or 90s. The Girl of the Year dolls are harder to get after their year. So, I'd wait for sure.

Blue Hydrangea
09-04-2012, 02:46 PM
She'll stay a while for sure... The Girl of the Year dolls are harder to get after their year. So, I'd wait for sure.

Oh thank you! Buying it now would have been tough to swing with DH, he would think it was the most ridiculous waste of money ever to buy a doll of several years of storage. :ROTFLMAO: So the longer I can wait, the better. Even better if it can wait until she wants it herself, but if I hear of them retiring her before we're ready, I think I'll still go for it.

Seitvonzu
09-04-2012, 03:17 PM
i just got the email from AG and had to go check out all the stuff.... i agree that the prices lately have gotten beyond ridiculous. i still think some of the historical outfits (when they come with shoes) aren't out of touch with reality, but an apron/santa hat/gingerbread house for 58? that's absurd!

i love love love the "scene" for caroline...but at 300 dollars? no. i'll just oogle and get a few of her outfits (i particularly like the blue coat and skates! my mother was always obsessed with coats, so my dollies have historically had lots and lots of coats ;))

blue_hydrangea-- what a lovely name your daughter has! if AG every had a "lucy" doll, i would find it hard to resist. as it is, our bitty is named "baby lucy." my child is 4.5 and hasn't been bitten by the doll bug yet....but mommy still can't resist ;) i DO think you can wait a while to get the doll/outfits. the things that are more likely to be quickly "retired" would be larger furniture items (except the bed, that should be around a long while). one reason to hold off on the doll is that sometimes the stringing can loosen when the dolls are stored for a long time. (my felicity has this issue and she's always been an adult's doll...so she isn't handled roughly or anything, she really spends most of her life in a box) if i knew that the "collection" was important to me, i might start buying outfits a bit at a time, but again, that's crazy dolllady me :)

katydid1971
09-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Blue- They usually take a few years to retire a doll and the do give a couple months warning when they retire dolls. They will often only offer certain accessories for awhile then change or discontinue them. If there is anything in the clothes, furniture or accessories that you like (like the blue coat pp mentioned) you might consider buying it now and putting it away, plus buying pieces over time will be easier to take then trying to buy a whole bunch at once.