PDA

View Full Version : MRI: the good and the bad

Mermanaid
08-11-2012, 07:08 PM
DD had her MRI on Monday. She wanted to try and stay awake for it but in the end panicked and had to be anesthetized to complete the one hour scan. The good news is that she came out of the meds very easily and within a few hours was back to her old self.

But there was a bit of gray/bad news that I was not expecting. The pituitary was fine and no worries. But they did find an area of the brain with inflammed cells (I so forgot to ask which area/lobe!). The ped endocrinologist immediately sent the results to a neurologist who seems to think it is fine but wants to see and monitor her and most likely do a repeat MRI in six months. I was shocked and scared when they asked me of we have multiple sclerosis in the family as it can often present this way.

Now I am trying to get an appt with the neurologist so we can get more info. I sure hope I am blowing all of this out of proportion and if I am please tell me so!

On another note, we have the okay to proceed with the Supprellin LA implant so now we are waiting for the surgeon to call and schedule.

wellyes
08-11-2012, 07:54 PM
What a scary question! Best wishes to you to get good answers soon.

chlobo
08-11-2012, 09:34 PM
How scary.

I just wanted to channel Melbel here and mention that lyme can present with leisions on an MRI. Have you ever had your daughter tested for lyme?

crl
08-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Oh dear. I am sorry. I don't know anything about this, but I would try not to worry too much. I do think one unfortunate side effect of a lot of tests is ambiguous findings that cause worry and follow up, with no real medical problem. (Not blaming you for having the MRI at all, I know it was necessary in your case, just commenting that I think it is not all that unusal for tests to find things that would never have come up without the test and cause worry and follow ups and end up being nothing.)

:hug:

Catherine

Mermanaid
08-13-2012, 11:59 PM
I also think many things come up as a result of "other" testing. I had just prepped myself that it would come back fine and in my head had moved on to the next step. Now we just have a split path as we are still moving forward with the Suppprelin and the neurological monitoring.

The neurologist called today and the scheduler said the dr asked for us to come in at the first available appt. we will be there Thurs afternoon.

Thanks for all the support. All of you have interesting information and points of view which are invaluable in helping think through these sticky situations.

Mermanaid
08-14-2012, 12:00 AM
How scary.

I just wanted to channel Melbel here and mention that lyme can present with leisions on an MRI. Have you ever had your daughter tested for lyme?

No we haven't! Is it prevalent in TX?

ha98ed14
08-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Sending up some P&PTs for your family. I know it is scary. Huge hugs to you!