PDA

View Full Version : Just Had to Tell the DCs no Santa

StantonHyde
08-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Sigh...Today has been a day. I am currently working my way through a nice gin and tonic and thankfully, we are going to friends for dinner. DH is working this weekend so I am solo.

The kids both have summer math packets they have to do. Despite my efforts, (not best efforts mind you--I have been derailed by the Olympics), they still have several pages to finish before school starts in a week!! So I made them do 3 pages each today. This should take them no longer than 20 minutes. But with the whining and crying, and complaining, it takes a good hour. I tell them its their choice as to how long it takes and they know they can get it done in 15 minutes. But they rarely do. It is all I can do to keep my calm while grinding my teeth.

In the middle of this, DD tells me she knows I am the tooth fairy and I ask her--really?? Just trying to play coy. Then she goes to the EAster Bunny and Santa Claus!!!! They both look at me--"No lying, are you the Tooth Fairy?" I reply, Yes, I am. Repeat with the Easter Bunny. Then repeat with Santa. Seriously kids.....You can't figure this out by yourselves after I just fessed up? But no and I tell them that DH and I buy the presents but that Santa is part of the magic of Christmas. (They go to Catholic schools so they have the whole birth of Jesus part down pat) I told them that they asked me the TRUTH and that I won't lie to them. (which is a lie, I lie all the time--that store is closed today, we can't go, etc. just to make my life easier) But this is big stuff and I don't lie or beat around the bush when it comes to big stuff.

DD was fine with it--she's the one who suspected all along--just like DH. Poor DS is like me--he cried and he said he had been such a fool. I hugged him and told him about when I found out Santa wasn't real and I think that helped him.

They did finish their homework and then we still had to go to the grocery store, where I managed to run over DD's toe with the cart. Yeesh!!!! I wish our friends were coming here so I could drink a lot :D. And DH isn't going because the sinus infection that DD and I had and he doesn't want to get our friends' kids sick--they both have pretty hefty asthma and the 5 yo has been hospitalized several times. I can still drink when I get back home!!!

The trials of having your kids grow up....

kaharris83
08-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Aww :hug:.

MamaMolly
08-11-2012, 08:44 PM
:54: Bottoms up mama! You've earned it.

amldaley
08-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Sigh...Today has been a day. I am currently working my way through a nice gin and tonic and thankfully, we are going to friends for dinner. DH is working this weekend so I am solo.

The kids both have summer math packets they have to do. Despite my efforts, (not best efforts mind you--I have been derailed by the Olympics), they still have several pages to finish before school starts in a week!! So I made them do 3 pages each today. This should take them no longer than 20 minutes. But with the whining and crying, and complaining, it takes a good hour. I tell them its their choice as to how long it takes and they know they can get it done in 15 minutes. But they rarely do. It is all I can do to keep my calm while grinding my teeth.

In the middle of this, DD tells me she knows I am the tooth fairy and I ask her--really?? Just trying to play coy. Then she goes to the EAster Bunny and Santa Claus!!!! They both look at me--"No lying, are you the Tooth Fairy?" I reply, Yes, I am. Repeat with the Easter Bunny. Then repeat with Santa. Seriously kids.....You can't figure this out by yourselves after I just fessed up? But no and I tell them that DH and I buy the presents but that Santa is part of the magic of Christmas. (They go to Catholic schools so they have the whole birth of Jesus part down pat) I told them that they asked me the TRUTH and that I won't lie to them. (which is a lie, I lie all the time--that store is closed today, we can't go, etc. just to make my life easier) But this is big stuff and I don't lie or beat around the bush when it comes to big stuff.

DD was fine with it--she's the one who suspected all along--just like DH. Poor DS is like me--he cried and he said he had been such a fool. I hugged him and told him about when I found out Santa wasn't real and I think that helped him.

They did finish their homework and then we still had to go to the grocery store, where I managed to run over DD's toe with the cart. Yeesh!!!! I wish our friends were coming here so I could drink a lot :D. And DH isn't going because the sinus infection that DD and I had and he doesn't want to get our friends' kids sick--they both have pretty hefty asthma and the 5 yo has been hospitalized several times. I can still drink when I get back home!!!

The trials of having your kids grow up....

Can your DH drop you off and pick you up? (My DH would be thrilled if I would go out for drinks and let him pick me up :wink2:)

Melbel
08-11-2012, 10:10 PM
That is exactly how our deck of cards fell too with DS and DD1. DD1 busted DH the tooth fairy, which led to Easter Bunny then Santa. DS handled it well, but DD1 was a big believer. She especially loved the tooth fairy.

Seitvonzu
08-12-2012, 09:48 AM
:( i hope you made it through the night and have a smile on your face this morning. i LOVE the tooth fairy/easter bunny/santa tradition so very much, but do not look forward to the day you had AT ALL.

(but i still don't let that keep me from "lying" my face off about event related imaginary characters!)

mctlaw
08-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Oh mama...I hope you got to unwind. What a day! :hug: