PDA

View Full Version : House/Dog Sitter...Is this odd?

RV Mom
08-11-2012, 09:53 PM
If your family goes on vacation for a week and you use someone to stay at your house to dog sit do you pay the house/dog sitter? How much do you pay if you do pay?

Someone I know house and dog sat for a family for the first time. Prior the job it was discussed that the person house dog sitting when asked how much she charged said $100 for the week would be fine. Well the family left and returned from their vacation. House/Dog sitter left house in perfect condition, no problems and didn't hear from the family. She reached out to the women she has correspondence with and asked if they had returned from vacation and if everything was fine. The women texted house/dog sitter and said they were back and thanks!! That was it. House/dog sitter didn't get paid and nothing else was said. WWYD? Do you think this is odd?

twowhat?
08-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Uh, yeah - the dog/house-sitter ABSOLUTELY should be paid. WTH?? When I've done overnight stays, I've been paid $30/day (and this was a good friend, even after I told her she didn't need to pay me).

When I dog-sat but did NOT stay overnight (just did 4-5 short checks during the day) my neighbor paid me $10/day.

$100/week is VERY reasonable (particularly if she stayed overnight) and she absolutely needs to be paid.

doberbrat
of course you pay the house/pet sitter. maybe the family left an envalope somewhere with cash and it was missed by the sitter? - or the woman thought her husband did and doesnt realize anything is amiss?

And 100/wk for house and pet sitting is insanely cheap!

Snow mom
We pay a friend $25/night to stay here. I feel like that's on the low end but our friends (like us ;) ) are broke so I think it works out to a nice chunk of change for not much work. I think you're friend will just have to bring up the payment nicely. They agreed on a figure and they should be paid at least that. Maybe the family isn't used to paying, although it sounds like they were the ones that initially brought it up?

Nicsmom
08-11-2012, 10:00 PM
I have used a pet/house sitter twice before and on both occasions I paid $30/night. The house sitter was our babysitter. I once called a pet-sitting service and they were charging $80/night so I did not use them. I could not afford it because we were traveling for 3 weeks.

In your friend's situation, I think she needs to call them and ask for payment. It is absurd that they would think they could get a petsitter for free, even more so when they agreed on $100/week (which is a bargain)

crl
08-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I pay our dog sitter $35 per night. I think it is odd that they agreed on an amount in advance and then didn't pay. Maybe there is just some miscommunication somewhere? I think the dog sitter needs to contact them and ask for her pay.

Catherine