PDA

View Full Version : My Olympic outfit "huh?" moment

SnuggleBuggles
08-11-2012, 11:19 PM
When I run in local races, I have to safety pin on my number. Why in the world do the Olympic caliber runners not have something higher tech?? Honestly, there has to be a better way. The numbers are pinned on all crooked, get bunched... Why, for example, do they truly need their country pinned to the front? Couldn't their track suits just be required to have that clearly visible- which most do anyway.

Mermanaid
08-11-2012, 11:32 PM
LOL I was wondering the same thing!

PAfirsttimemom
08-12-2012, 02:03 AM
My DH was just wondering this the other day, too.

94bruin
08-12-2012, 03:45 AM
My friends and I were wondering the same thing about the gymnasts as well. They have their number pinned to the back of their outfit. I think one gymnast had an open "saftey" pin on her back. Yikes!

indigo99
08-12-2012, 09:25 AM
I've seen them handing out the actual numbers just minutes before the race. As for the country and name, the athletes probably have multiple outfits and use them in all kinds of competitions other than the olympics so it would be tough to set uniform requirements on that.

I saw one guy in medal contention who couldn't find his shirt when it was his turn to do the high jump (or pole vault maybe). He only had a couple minutes or risk DQ so he just pulled on a t-shirt and pinned his number to it.

SnuggleBuggles
08-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I've seen them handing out the actual numbers just minutes before the race. As for the country and name, the athletes probably have multiple outfits and use them in all kinds of competitions other than the olympics so it would be tough to set uniform requirements on that.

I saw one guy in medal contention who couldn't find his shirt when it was his turn to do the high jump (or pole vault maybe). He only had a couple minutes or risk DQ so he just pulled on a t-shirt and pinned his number to it.

I saw that guy too!

Many sports have outfits with their country, like beach volleyball. It's an expense but it is a uniform- a normal expense, IMO.

elektra
08-12-2012, 10:56 AM
That is so true! And the stickers on their legs are weird too.

wendibird22
08-12-2012, 12:30 PM
My outfit "huh" moment was the men's high platform diving. Um, that Canadian lad was barely covered. If that speedo got any more non-existant his boys would be hanging out. His looked particularly low cut compared to the others in the same competition.