PDA

View Full Version : What books/ series are you reading with your 3-5 year olds?

ourbabygirl
08-12-2012, 09:21 AM
We've been doing a lot of Berenstain Bears and Clifford (pretty much exhausted what our libraries have of them), Thomas the train books, the little soft cover Disney princess, Cars, etc. books. DD also likes books with Sesame characters, and I've read her the "If you give a moose a muffin"-type books. We also tried one Arthur book.

What else would you suggest? DD isn't super girly, but also isn't into books about pirates, trucks, etc. I'd like to start requesting books through the library, since it takes too long to browse through the stacks and pick things. :)

Thanks for your help!

KrisM
08-12-2012, 09:34 AM
The Franklin books are nice and all my kids liked them.

swrc00
08-12-2012, 09:51 AM
My DS loves David Shannon's Alice, the Fairy. He also likes the Usbourne Farmyard Tales.

ett
08-12-2012, 10:19 AM
DS2 loves anything by Mo Willems. (Knuffle Bunny, Pigeon books, Elephant and Piggie books)

LMPC
08-12-2012, 11:21 AM
DS2 loves anything by Mo Willems. (Knuffle Bunny, Pigeon books, Elephant and Piggie books)

The Elephant and Piggie books are hilarious! Also Phyllis Root has written some that are DD's favorites....Scrawny Cat and Toot Toot Zoom.

DD also likes Polly Dunbar's books.

123LuckyMom
08-12-2012, 11:23 AM
We love the Little Men and Little Miss books, also Beatrix Potter, _Stellaluna_ and _Verdi_ are favorites. We also love Leo Leoni books. There are soooooo many good books out there!

zag95
08-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Ladybug girl series (several)
Llama Llama books
Fancy Nancy
Mo Willems
Tomie de Paola books are neat

wencit
08-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Biscuit books were also a hit with my older son around that age (also helped with his reading skills).

mommyp
08-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Ditto on Franklin. DD just found the library's series of these and takes them out all the time now.
We also love Ladybug Girl and everything by Mo Willems.

hillview
08-12-2012, 06:44 PM

:yeahthat:

acmom
08-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Good suggestions from PPs - we like books by Mo Willems, Leo Lionni, and Eric Carle, as well as Frankin series, Llama Llama series, Biscuit series that were all mentioned above.

Others to try...
Froggy series (Jonathon London)
Curious George
Little Critter series (Mercer Mayer)
Maisy series, the longer "preschool experience" ones *better for 3s than 5s though (Lucy Cousins)

schrocat
08-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Lynley Dodd's Hairy Maclary series. My almost 4 year old and almost 2 year old can't get enough of those books.

kcimato
08-27-2012, 09:14 PM
I love Harry McClary myself.
Angus books

KDsMommy
08-27-2012, 09:21 PM
DS loves Mo Willems, Leo Leoni, the llama books, and anything "sciencey" i.e., non-fiction books about space, animals, machines, etc.

abh5e8
08-27-2012, 09:58 PM
are you up for reading chapter books?

we started about a year ago, when dd was 4.5 (she is 5.5 now), and have so far finished all 9 of the original Little House on the Prairie books. Also the first 4 of Betsy-Tacy, Charlotte's Web and the first 2 Winnie the Pooh books.

novmber
08-27-2012, 10:10 PM
just started chapter books with my 5 yo twin girls. starting with one I loved, all of a kind family.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Smillow
08-27-2012, 10:54 PM
just started chapter books with my 5 yo twin girls. starting with one I loved, all of a kind family.

I :heartbeat: those too!

brittone2
08-28-2012, 11:05 AM
5.5 yo DD is helping me read Cynthia Rylant's books right now, like The Lighthouse Family series and Thimbleberry Cottage.

For read alouds, we've been doing the American Girl books as part of a HSing co-op. They are using them for a literature circle. DD helps me read them, and DS1 reads them independently for the co-op class.

She also likes the Boxcar Children.

We do a ton of read alouds as part of our HSing. She'll listen to almost anything. The Courage of Sarah Noble, Little House series, Strawberry Girl, The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, The Wizard of Oz, TumTum and Nutmeg, etc. have all been favs from 4-5.

brittone2
08-28-2012, 11:10 AM
For picture books, my kids have liked:

Bear series (Bear Snores On, Bear Wants More)
Cumulative stories like Move Over, Rover and The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything (great with Halloween coming up if you celebrate Halloween). They like predicting what is going to happen next, they like repeating the refrain as new parts accumulate, acting out the actions, etc.
Miss Spider's Tea Party
The Frances series
Ira Sleeps Over
Elsa Beskow books like Peter in Blueberry Land and Woody, Hazel, and Little Pip