PDA

View Full Version : Age for Disneyland

Pear
08-12-2012, 10:54 AM
We have two opportunities to take Dd to Disneyland next year. She will be almost 4 and 4 years 4 months. For each trip a chunk of our expenses would be covered, but we would still have to spend quite a bit on travel, it would just be cheaper than going at a random time.

DH thinks it is the perfect age. I think we should wait a few years.

ABO Mama
08-12-2012, 11:10 AM
It is pure magic to a 4yo! You will need a stroller, because it is a lot of walking, but it is so much fun! Enjoy!

kerridean
08-12-2012, 11:35 AM
We went to Disneyworld for our first trip in Feb. The girls were 8 and 6. IMO, they were the perfect age. No naps, no strollers, no whining, no tantrums, flexibility with mealtimes, fine to stay up late without melting down. I would not have wanted to go with them any younger, but I am easily stressed. For us, it was perfect:).

TwinFoxes
08-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Our DDs went to WDW at 30 months, and had a blast. We're going back again this fall. I think four is great, she will think it's so magical. I remember going to DL for the first time when I was three.

speo
08-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I think 4 yo is a great age and she will have a GREAT time. However, I can't tell from you post if this might be the only trip to Disney. If you may only be going once for a very long time, I think 8 yo is just about the perfect age.

We started DS1 going when he was 2 and DS2 when he was a baby. We go just about every year. There is something great there for just about any age.

Momit
08-12-2012, 11:51 AM
We just went to Disney World this spring, a few months short of DS's 4th birthday. It was so much fun. We took it easy - going back to the hotel for a nap in the afternoon and skipping the late night parades, etc. Still, following the Touring Plans app we saw just about everything we wanted to see. I would say not to have unrealistic expectations for rides, some of the ones DS was tall enough for were still pretty scary to him. The highlights were character meals, the monorail, Dumbo, It's a Small World, the teacups, the live shows in front of Cinderella's Castle, the pool at the resort, and Mickey ice cream bars! We may go again when he's older, but as PPs have said, 4 is a magical age to see Disney for the first time.

lalasmama
08-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I think 4 is a GREAT age to go, with one minor exception--go into it knowing that she may not actually remember it. I went at 7yo, and, now at 33yo, I couldn't tell you much about it other than that I got a tiny rubber Cabbage Patch Kid at some point on that trip.

I took DD for her 8th birthday. I'm hoping she will remember some of the trip. We took a ton of pictures, and she looks at the photo book often, and watches the Disneyland DVD often, so, I think she will "remember" the trip, even if she doesn't remember it any other way but through the pictures.

At 4, they still appreciate and accept all the magic that makes Disneyland so amazing. They accept that those are real princesses... That Mickey, despite being a mouse, really is 6 feet tall... That they really saw a real baby elephant on the Jungle Cruise and he sneezed on them... At 8yo, though, DD would do this stage whisper to me before meeting a character, "Mom, that's really just a person in a Halloween costume!" She still enjoyed the magic and the pretending, but it was obvious that soon, for my DD, it's going to be about the rides more than the characters.

Good luck, and have fun!

urquie
08-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Take the opportunity/s, that is a magical age!

Seeing the excitement on DD's face, at almost three years old, made me tear up, with in minutes of entering the land. She still remembers the trip, many years later.

We checked this DVD out, at the library, before we went... to introduce the idea of how big the characters are (which scares some kids). It has become a favorite. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Sing-Along-Songs-Disneyland-Fun/dp/B0009X75W4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344788422&sr=8-2&keywords=Disneyland+sing+along+songs

wellyes
08-12-2012, 12:35 PM
If your question is is it better to go at 4, or almost 4.5.... I would say the older, the better. But either is good, so do what works in terms of school and your calendar.

94bruin
08-12-2012, 12:37 PM
DD1's first trip was at age 4. It was so magical for her. As a pp stated, they believe in all of the magic of Disneyland. Seeing Disneyland through the eyes of your own child is priceless. It's such a different park from a child's perspective.

Just prepare to take a lot of breaks and a good long afternoon nap. A stroller is a necessity.

Karenn
08-12-2012, 12:59 PM
DD went when she was 4.5 and it was perfect. She was really into princesses at that age so she was over the moon at the princess character lunch at Ariel's Grotto. We went again at age 7.5, and while it was still loads of fun, she wanted nothing to do with princesses. I was so glad that we'd taken that first trip when we did.

nfceagles
08-12-2012, 01:08 PM
4 is a wonderful age for Disney! In fact, it may be my favorite age to take a child.

zag95
08-12-2012, 01:14 PM
We just took DD to DL over memorial weekend- she was about 4.25- it was the last hurrah before the arrival of little sister last month!

I would definitely go at either age. She may be a bit taller at 4.4 for some rides.

Definitely bring a stroller- our little walker crashed out a few times- we'd do early morning until after lunch, then go rest and do pool time, and return after dinner.

So magical at that age- her face totally lit up! We watched a few rides on youtube- like pirates of the caribbean, etc. that we wanted to take her on- she did awesome! Even went on Splash Mountain with daddy, and her grandparents (she met the height restriction!)

We met a lot of characters and princesses and fairies, and she can't wait to go back! Probably the ride she liked the least was Mr Toad's Wild Ride (and DH and I didn't like it either- too loud!)

I highly recommend a character meal as well- wasn't sold on those, until we experienced seeing all the characters!!! There was a lot of breath sucking in (Ohhhhh mommmmmm, loook at Cinderella- here she comes!!!!) I wish I could have kept a video camera on her the whole trip- the expressions were priceless.

Pear
08-12-2012, 01:26 PM
We will probably do one Disneyworld/Orlando trip at some point as well. So maybe two Disney trips in her childhood at the most. We live in Kansas and most of our travel involves visiting distant family. DH definitely wants to take her at the height of her princess obsession. She has a fantastic memory. She still talks about things that happened on a trip when she was 2.

For the earlier trip our hotel would be covered by the ILs because they rent a condo in Dana Point each year and they really want to go with DD on her first Disney trip. We would have to cover rental car and plane tickets. For the later trip I have to travel for work. We would have to do 2 plane tickets, rental car, and extra nights in the hotel at the end of my work trip. Earlier trip would be in february, work trip in August. I'm ok with her missing a few days of preschool.

twowhat?
08-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Wow, DH and I were JUST talking about this because we have some good friends we are wanting to visit in Irvine, so we would take that opportunity to also spend a couple days at Disneyland. Now I'm more excited about it...the problem is the girls have not seen a single Disney movie - they're very sensitive to "scary parts" but now I think they could handle some of them so we need to get kicking on that:)

What's the minimum height requirement for the milder rides?? DDs, particularly DD1 at 36 inches, are NOT tall and I worry that they wouldn't be able to go on any of the rides!

lalasmama
08-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Wow, DH and I were JUST talking about this because we have some good friends we are wanting to visit in Irvine, so we would take that opportunity to also spend a couple days at Disneyland. Now I'm more excited about it...the problem is the girls have not seen a single Disney movie - they're very sensitive to "scary parts" but now I think they could handle some of them so we need to get kicking on that:)

What's the minimum height requirement for the milder rides?? DDs, particularly DD1 at 36 inches, are NOT tall and I worry that they wouldn't be able to go on any of the rides!

DD had seen very few Disney movies, mainly because of the "family values" (ie, there's almost always a parent killed off, then the poor kid is sent off, or has evil stepsisters) that aren't very "nice". She still LOVED it. We did make a point to talk about the stories behind the movies/rides. But, even without her having ever seen Dumbo, she loved flying with him ;)

As far as being big enough for rides, even small kids will be able to do a lot of rides. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/list/#/disneyland There's the list of attractions, with any height restrictions!

speo
08-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Earlier trip would be in february, work trip in August.

If you are picking between these 2 times, I would definitely pick the Feb one! The crowds will be soooo much smaller. It is hard for a small kid to wait in long lines. And the weather will probably be better. But I like a little chilly over hot any day.

Seitvonzu
08-12-2012, 02:33 PM
we took my daughter to WDW in january and she had just recently turned 4. my child has a pretty gogogo disposition, but that said, we NEVER returned to our hotel midday! and because the parks had shorter hours, we were usually at parks pretty much all day. (a couple days out of 5 we did leave parks earlier than close for a dinner meal OR once to swim at the hotel, not a rest, and the last and first day we did 1/2 days due to travelling) we stayed at the AKL and actually didn't even spend enough time there to really fully enjoy the resort :(-- once we were at a park, it was hard to drag lucy (or mommy, or daddy) away from attractions ;)

we did just about everything. my child went on every ride she possibly could (including the TOWER OF TERROR) and complained when she couldn't go on other stuff (particularly the rockin' roller coaster at DHS). obviously, my kiddo is NOT sensitive. she is also slightly taller than average-- i believe she was about 41" at the time. (there was very little she couldn't do based on that)

urquie
08-12-2012, 04:42 PM
If you are picking between these 2 times, I would definitely pick the Feb one! The crowds will be soooo much smaller. It is hard for a small kid to wait in long lines. And the weather will probably be better. But I like a little chilly over hot any day.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

acmom
08-12-2012, 10:12 PM

:yeahthat: And I think 4 will be a great age to go!

TwinFoxes
08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
So you can leave Kansas in February for SoCal, and it's up for debate? ;)

Seriously though, February may be cooler, but it will be pleasant. August will be hot and crowded.

BayGirl2
08-14-2012, 01:25 AM
I think 4 will be so fun. My 3 yo is excited for our trip and I can't wait to see his face when he sees everything for the first time.

He had not seen many of the Disney movies but I've been watching them with him over the last few months. Its fun for me too as a refresher, and if there are any scenes I don't agree with or find a bit disturbing we can talk about them. Overall there really wasn't much that bothered me. (Ltl Mermaid, Mulan, Alladin, Dumbo, Cars, Bugs Life, and a few others)

The height cut offs vary by ride but over 36 inches there are a few rides he can do that the baby can't go on. Then over 40 inches would be the next step to go on the bigger rides including Radiator Springs Racers (Cars). After that its 46/48 for the roller coasters. So most 4/4.5 yo's would be able to do most rides.

My parents waited until we were "old enough to appreciate" WDW and I was in 7th grade by the time we went. I had a great time, but it was different, not kid magical, and I think I would have enjoyed it in a different way if I had gone when I was younger. If you can go now then again in a few years it sounds like your DD will have good experiences in different phases.

belovedgandp
08-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Definitely February for the crowds and cooler weather. Being sticky, hot makes everyone grumpy and wears you out more.

DC1 was 3y7mo when we went 5 years ago. DC2 was 4y5mo when we went last year.

I loved both ages. Thankfully we have no fear of mascots, so full body hugs to characters. We too have seen very few (if any) of the traditional Disney movies. Books with the characters and a little Disney Channel (Little Einsteins, Mickey's Clubhouse at the time) gave them plenty.

We went all day, every day and loved it. We did have a stroller there even though hadn't used one at home for years. Neither kid had napped in about 1 1/2 years when we went and didn't when we were there either.

We almost went when DC2 was exactly 3, but DC2 is smaller than DC1 and was not quite 40 inches at the time. Still plenty to ride and do at under 40 inches, but when trying to keep up with older sibling knew that was going to be a hard one to explain when just under it still.